Terrapin, should I keep it or CCU to an Endeavor

CMDR_Deepsix

Space Marshal
Sep 8, 2017
RSI Handle
CMDR_Deepsix
To start I'll give an overview of my fleet at the moment.

-Ranger TR
-Nox
-Cyclone RN
-315P (upgraded from the ATI Mustang so little melt value)
-Razor
-Terrapin
-Redeemer
-Star Runner
-Hercules C2
-Hull D
-Orion
-Carrack

I'm not super interested in combat and over the years have been leaning towards picking up the larger industrial ships such as the Orion as I see them as giving me the ability to quickly generate UEC in game to finance all my other activities.

I've not picked up anything new during this years sale but I've been thinking of melting my Razor and then using the money to CCU my Terrapin into an LTI Endeavor. I would still need to pickup the modules I would want for the Endeavor but I'm starting to think that would put me in a better position to engage in some of the high end science game play such as identifying better areas to mine, find areas for potential new jump points and other exploration based areas of interest.

Is there any reason I should keep the Terrapin around that someone thinks I should consider?

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
About the only point, unless it gets a total redesign, of the Terrapin is to be a scout ship for a larger group of similarly sized ships. If that doesn't interest you then everything else it can do your Carrack will do exponentially better.

Reactions: vahadar and Scape

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
About the only point, unless it gets a total redesign, of the Terrapin is to be a scout ship for a larger group of similarly sized ships. If that doesn't interest you then everything else it can do your Carrack will do exponentially better.
More like a scout ship for a base or carrier.

The only thing a Terrapin does better is it is a solo ship.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale

-Ranger TR
-Nox
-Cyclone RN
-Razor
-Terrapin
-Redeemer
-Star Runner
-Hercules C2
-Hull D
-Orion
-Carrack

I'm not super interested in combat and over the years have been leaning towards picking up the larger industrial ships such as the Orion as I see them as giving me the ability to quickly generate UEC in game to finance all my other activities.

I've not picked up anything new during this years sale but I've been thinking of melting my Razor and then using the money to CCU my Terrapin into an LTI Endeavor. I would still need to pickup the modules I would want for the Endeavor but I'm starting to think that would put me in a better position to engage in some of the high end science game play such as identifying better areas to mine, find areas for potential new jump points and other exploration based areas of interest.

Is there any reason I should keep the Terrapin around that someone thinks I should consider?
One key thing to think about is Quantum range. Right now, not a big deal, while we are limited to Stanton. Once the Verse opens up, that stat becomes much more important.

It depends on how much solo exploration you wish to do. I would think the Freelancer DUR or Constellation Aquilla would be a better choice for soloable, exploration since they both have serious Quantum range, where the Terrapin does not.

Now if you want to be a carrier based scout or AWACS then the Terrapin is worth keeping, otherwise, yes, CCU it.

MurderingPsycho

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 10, 2018
RSI Handle
Zombie_Bait
More like a scout ship for a base or carrier.

The only thing a Terrapin does better is it is a solo ship.
True, but he also has a 315P. I'd upgrade it, and did. I also have a Carrack and 315P and am upgrading the Terrapin in my explorer pack to an Endeavor. Hopefully, I'm not wrong about this but I can't see the Terrapin providing any additional value if you already have the other two ships. I would also put the Endeavor modules in your buybacks instead of buying and hanging onto them. These likely won't be that expensive in game and the Carrack is supposed to have modules that support some of the same gameplay.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
I mean you've got the terrapin which is a 1-2 man currently totally useless ship, useless at combat, useless at exploration, useless at scanning, useless at cargo, semi-useless as a liveaboard.

Then you've got the endeavour, which is a 2-20 man and no one has any idea what it's actually going to be like.

Touch choice man!!! How about a Starrunner?? :p

Esctasy

Admiral
Donor
Nov 28, 2018
RSI Handle
Esctasy
With respect to quantum range, keep in mind there is a trade-off with speed. If you want range, you don't have to necessary get a different ship, you can change the engine to a slower one. With the current engine on the MSR it's slow as hell, but you could make a trip through 10 star systems without refilling; using about 500% less quantum fuel compared to the fastest engine.

If you are going to upgrade make sure you take the paths currently available now and save yourself $60.
Terrapin-->MSR-->Eclipse-->Endeavor

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
True, but he also has a 315P. I'd upgrade it, and did. I also have a Carrack and 315P and am upgrading the Terrapin in my explorer pack to an Endeavor. Hopefully, I'm not wrong about this but I can't see the Terrapin providing any additional value if you already have the other two ships. I would also put the Endeavor modules in your buybacks instead of buying and hanging onto them. These likely won't be that expensive in game and the Carrack is supposed to have modules that support some of the same gameplay.
This IAE Igot myself down to two Carrier birds, the Hawk and the Eclipse. Fortunately the Eclipse has two Quantum Fuel tanks so has reasonable range. If I didn't think I needed a Stealth Scout, I would probably CCU it.

Reactions: vahadar and Deroth

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik

-Ranger TR
-Nox
-Cyclone RN
-Razor
-Terrapin
-Redeemer
-Star Runner
-Hercules C2
-Hull D
-Orion
-Carrack

Oooh, I love the the little turtle! Been trying to scrape together enough aUEC for ages to grab one....
SO you should just gift it over to me. Problem solved.

• Wut
Reactions: vahadar and Deroth

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
call me old-fashioned if you like,

but the Terrapin is the one ship I have considered adding to my small fleet

• Drunk
Reactions: Deroth

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Wait till you fly it then you'll change your mind! :p

• o7
Reactions: maynard and Deroth

Quax

Commander
Dec 9, 2020
RSI Handle
Vindicare82
I have one turtle in my hangar as well (part of the exploration pack) and wondering what to do with her. Having (as far as I know) a huge amount of armor makes her interesting IMHO but it'll be interesting to see if she can hold up against fighters long enough to escape when she has been spotted.

Forgot your password?