TEST Org - In games Roles and Ranks

JonSpencer

Grand Admiral
Aug 26, 2018
RSI Handle
jondspen1
I noticed here in the forums, I am a Vice Admiral. I have been playing on and off since 2.9ish. Recently though, I noticed when I look at my status in the Org, I am still a cadet. Since roles and ranks are separate in SC Orgs, is there a reason why many of us are still cadets? Other games, your rank gives you org rights, and I understand that, but doesn't seem to be the case here. I could be the rank of Grand Moff, but with the role permissions of Fin the Janitor.

1. Do ranks mean anything in game?
2. Are ranks and roles linked in TEST Org?
2. Can I get promoted above cadet? Tired of attempting to play with others in verse, but they don't want me in their reindeer games b/c it is assumed I don't know the rule about not walking around inside their HH when trying to QJ, or to not exit MOLE mining seats until pilot has entered QJ.

Reactions: Mich Angel

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
The ranks on the forums here are based off the number of times you post.

The ranks in Star Citizen will be based off the shit you do in the game for the org.

Organized weekly 50 man fleet ops? Promotion!

Fought off an invasion single handedly and saved a squad of miners from losing their haul? Promotion!

Crash our Bengal carrier in to the enemy Bengal carrier? Promotion!

Which raises the question, should we simply remove the ranks from this forum because way too many members seem to get confused by this.

Thoughts?

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
On these forums, the rank is almost meaningless so as far as I'm concerned you can remove them. The only thing we need to know is who is staff so we know who to turn to for help if something breaks, or an officer so we know who to blame when something breaks.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
...Which raises the question, should we simply remove the ranks from this forum because way too many members seem to get confused by this.
Thoughts?
this is TEST, don't expect Confusion to yield to Understanding

one cool thing about the ranks is that @SeungRyul can bestow custom wa ranks for outstanding achievements

it would be sad to lose that

also, I've noticed that my in-forum rank only changes on the anniversary of my signing up

and the game has been in development so long we've run out of ranks

I'm overdue for a promotion, dammit!

God-Emperor would not be excessive

Last edited:

JonSpencer

Grand Admiral
Aug 26, 2018
RSI Handle
jondspen1
Which raises the question, should we simply remove the ranks from this forum because way too many members seem to get confused by this.
I don't think it's confusing between ranks here vs roles/ranks in TEST Org. You can easily see in here that all that's needed to advance is spam LIKES or forum messages. Are people really getting that confused that TEST forum is not directly related to SC TEST Org in game?

The ranks in Star Citizen will be based off the shit you do in the game for the org.
Ok. So being a good TEST ambassador with other orgs needing gunners for their HH missions? Participating in Mining Ops? Being a member for 2.5 years and being somewhat active - at least as much as the game and RL will permit? Helping Randoms in chat and recruiting? Helping newbs in chat with mining questions and promoting Black Sunder and his awesome guide? I would think this would be more than enough criteria for a person to go from cadet to ensign...but since we have 19,643 cadets, and only 74 ensigns, 19 Lt., 17 Capt., 12 Rear Adm., and 2 Admirals, I'm guessing I'm wrong.

I just don't see anywhere where we have explained what Ranks in the Org mean, if anything. And with the game state now and from comments above, seems they really don't. But I also don't see what the Org expects of it's members to earn rank. As far as in game roles for the Org, I can definitely understand if the officers want to keep that locked down. Once we have an Org "Guild Bank" in game, we don't want someone stealing our group stuff, or having the power to kick members. But again, it's my understanding that TEST Org Roles and TEST Org Ranks are not related in any way according to RSI.

Sooo...back to my question : Can I get promoted above cadet?

Last edited:

JonSpencer

Grand Admiral
Aug 26, 2018
RSI Handle
jondspen1
And yes...I realize this is TEST. The disclaimer is immediately provided on why one should join, and was a major factor in my decision. 😁 Space Life is so free without expectations!

Please understand, my panties are not wadded at being a cadet. Rank doesn't stop me from doing anything, other than is off-putting to some randoms looking for people to help. But to the point, if members are expected to do stuff to get promoted in the Org, some guidance on what that stuff is for each Rank would be helpful.

And furthermore to administration, how are a few suppose to handle almost 20k members? Now, it's not an issue, but once live, this is not like administering some WoW Guild with 500 members. Has there been any talk (lol - like I don't already know the answer to this one) about API, 3rd party, or RSI org admin tools?

Last edited:

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
The ranks ..................
................................. seem to get confused by this.

Thoughts?
You know confused is good, that follow our command structure perfect.

Or it would look like we know what we're doing right.
And we can't have that.

🍻🍻🍻 🤪 🍻🍻🍻

CHEERS!

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Sooo...back to my question : Can I get promoted above cadet?
I believe Montoya already answered this:

However I believe this does give us the opportunity to have custom TEST style ranks on the forum.

So everyone starts off as a cadet as usual. Then we can diverge off into our TEST stuff based on post count, so you can then go to Space Cadet, Bellhop, Waiter, Barista, Barman, Cocktail maker, Brewer, Distiller, Glorious Leader or whatever we'd want them to be.

My vote is to have one of them being Rear Admirable. Yes the misspelling is intentional 🙂

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
That's cause after the 3rd year you get 500 points per anniversary and the ranks are based off of points. (but I think space marshal is highest? I dunno)
where can we find out how to earn points?

there was a time that I was #2 on the leaderboard and I have no idea why

I was never the most prolific poster

now it seems the only points I get are on anniversaries

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264

Fought off an invasion single handedly and saved a squad of miners from losing their haul? Promotion!

Crash our Bengal carrier in to the enemy Bengal carrier? Promotion!

Thoughts?
I like the ranks on the forums it shows how long you have interacted with other members of the org

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
I just don't see anywhere where we have explained what Ranks in the Org mean, if anything.
The ranks on RSI mean nothing at the moment, nobody here looks at them. Ignore them.

The reason some people have ranks is 4yrs ago we thought the game was just around the corner, so we started giving some ranks to active members who where organizing ops. One guy got Captain because we thought it would be funny to make him outrank an actual enlisted Army officer IRL.

All the current ranked members in there will get reevaluated, some are not even playing the game anymore.

I will repeat what I said earlier, and that is I feel it is pointless to give out ranks until we are actually in the game.

I am also very much aware that members need to be recognized for their contributions to the org, be it with their time, memes, or simple participation. The ranking system is great for this and we will make a lot more use of it when org 2.0 and/or the game comes out.

Please do not think that because you are a cadet on RSI that your efforts are being ignored!

If you have serious concerns or disagree with my opinions here, pm me on Discord and we can discuss further.

I may add that every single ranked member has had conversations with me or staff member over voice or video. It helps to reach out and prove you are a human. When the time comes for promotions and a name comes up, having a staff member know the person goes a long way.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Let me also add here that if you want to be more involved, or are looking for ways to do more, then reach out to any of the staff or event organizers you see on guilded, ask what you can do, they will have 1000 different things they need!

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
The ranks on RSI mean nothing at the moment, nobody here looks at them. Ignore them.

The reason some people have ranks is 4yrs ago we thought the game was just around the corner, so we started giving some ranks to active members who where organizing ops. One guy got Captain because we thought it would be funny to make him outrank an actual enlisted Army officer IRL.

All the current ranked members in there will get reevaluated, some are not even playing the game anymore.

I will repeat what I said earlier, and that is I feel it is pointless to give out ranks until we are actually in the game.

I am also very much aware that members need to be recognized for their contributions to the org, be it with their time, memes, or simple participation. The ranking system is great for this and we will make a lot more use of it when org 2.0 and/or the game comes out.

Please do not think that because you are a cadet on RSI that your efforts are being ignored!

If you have serious concerns or disagree with my opinions here, pm me on Discord and we can discuss further.

I may add that every single ranked member has had conversations with me or staff member over voice or video. It helps to reach out and prove you are a human. When the time comes for promotions and a name comes up, having a staff member know the person goes a long way.
I call Chief Sanitation Officer on the Org's Bengal flagship.

Forgot your password?