marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Did you solve the heating problem on that center tab yet, Marc?
Nope, not yet, but I will eventually :grin: The problem is not the enclosure, it is the cheap crap tablet. I choose an iRULU eXpro X5S because its dimensions, buttons and connections.
The slightly over sized dimension seemed a good idea, but afterwards it was not such a good idea. The power and home button and micro USB port both are on top, I wanted to make a construction to get the buttons above the mount, but afterwards I doubt that the extended buttons will work, too complex. The worst part still is the heat generation, its just something this tablet does. I completely opened the bracket from the rear, only leaving 5 mm to hold the tablet in place, but still it get so hot that it almost hurts when holding it.

After one broke down, I had 2 options, buy a new one for €60 or buy 2 better ones. I found refurbished ASUS Z380M tablets for €90. Size was perfectly fitting, the tablets stay very cool, the display isn't plastic but glas, the power button of the right tablet is on top, making an extension very easy. The micro USB connection of the left tablet is above the middle, bypassing my outer dimensions problem and positioning the power button of the left tablet also on top, making that extension also very easy.... I bought the second Z380M the same day I received the first one.

View: https://imgur.com/a/DAHKm

BTW, I followed you over to Test Squardon, so I can pester you about simpit stuff here too.
I strongly hope also for the beer and fun :beers::beers::beers:

Test Squardon
Ooooow!!! almost perfect, TEST Squadron, BEST Squardon, I love that typo, it helped me appreciating this typo
View: https://imgur.com/k2WbsNx

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Where's the device for intravenous nutrition?
Well, actually, it doesn't has one, just like warm alcoholic drinks, an intravenous nutrition device would degenerate my flying skills too fast, converting the TEST simpit into a TEST bed :sleeping:
I'm satisfied with the fridge and 48 empty bottle shelf
upload_2017-11-5_17-23-7.png

In case of emergency the floor below the shelf also can hold 48 empty bottles :wink:

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
I finally upgraded the center display from 24" 1920x1200 to 32" 2560x1440 and top display from 20" 1366x768 to 24" 1920x1080. The bigger overall resolution, 6400x1440, was too much for my poor GTX970, so I also had to upgrade my GPU to a GTX 1080ti.
upload_2018-3-18_13-16-36.png

The MFD mount is now finished. I replaced the 7.85" center tablet with a 10.1" tablet. The cheap 7.85" was just too slow and overheating constantly. Since the 10.1" fits tightly between the 2 MFDs, I had to use a thin wooden back plate with 3 aluminium U profiles glued on the back plate. The center tablet can be flipped upwards to reach the covered area from the 8" MFD tablets.

upload_2018-3-18_13-52-17.png

upload_2018-3-18_13-57-58.png

upload_2018-3-18_13-33-10.png

I put 4 230 VAC switches behind the center tablet.
  • The first switch is for PC and peripheral power. The PC boots after power loss, so operating the first switch will boot my PC.
  • The second switch is for the displays power.
  • The third switch is for the tablets power.
  • The fourth switch is for an auxiliary PC. This PC also boots after power loss.

I made some in-game screenshots to get the content for the MFD tablets
upload_2018-3-18_13-38-40.png

upload_2018-3-18_13-35-8.png

upload_2018-3-18_13-39-53.png

upload_2018-3-18_13-35-31.png

To keep controls simple, I switched the shield MFD to the left and the power MFD to the right, just like I configured the shield bindings on my strafe stick and the power bindings on my flight stick. I don't want loose control over the flight stick when adjusting shields during combat.

When the background images were ready, I started to make the content dynamic.

The shields binding in SC only works 1 step, if you press front, then front shield power will become 104% while the other 3 will become 98%, no matter how often you press the key binding. On the ingame shield MFD you can divert all shield power to one shield and if you press on the outer ring, the shield on that side will be boosted. Lets hope that the keybindings will be fixed so it is possible to divert shield power properly and boost shield with a keybinding.

The power keybindings are even worse, the keybinding for diverting power toggle power on and off so at he moment my power mfd isn't bound to anything.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
For the shield it is a 9 button matrix. Each button has its own panel with 9 buttons and a transparent background image... It was a lot of mouse work to get everything perfectly aligned.
I bet it was my friend. I'm blow away. I'm looking forward to doing something similar in the future! I hope, haha.

Reactions: marcsand2

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
I know Im late to the bus, but what is this? Ive been having fun trying to figure out what it could be and haven't ruled out condoms yet.
Good thing that you didn't found the big tube of Vaseline and apparently you didn't read all the comments :grin::

Point in note... whats that massive roll of kitchen paper for?
to wipe the vaseline :joy:
Seriously, when you screw two painted surfaces together, the paint will stick, so my adviser (dad) told me to apply vaseline on the surfaces in contact with each other. The rest should be clean :innocent:
as for the 2nd picture, that is my bad habit:
upload_2018-3-21_19-2-47.png

Forgot your password?