THank you everyone for the advice. All credit sold except an Advaned Hunter package.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Yet another instance of CIG throwing out contradictory information.
Pretty much. They have no clue how serious they want this to be.
Whenever I see something like this come out from Cig, I used to be all over it, but by now I came to realize that you gotta give em at least a month to come up with something more specific, that isn't so dumb. So if you are still on the fence whether you wanna leave or not, I'd wait and see what they come up with by the 3.9 goes live.

makute

Space Marshal
Jun 2, 2016
RSI Handle
VishMainha
I'd suggest you continue to enjoy the game, raise your concerns in Spectrum (a toll which too many people don't use) and wait to see.
This.

I'd hate to see a veteran citizen to give up and leave just for something isn't even fully fleshed. @Agent_Mothman, take a step back and wait until you cool down before taking an irreversible decision.

Thraesh

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2019
RSI Handle
Thraesh19
Upvoted and I agree this is a bad system to implement. I get it it, the eating system gives a boost to various things in game but it should be an optional choice.

Think about a new player, they will come in, be lost in the game, have little to no credits but they buy things such as hand mining gear, armor or weapons. Now they go out and start trying to earn credits but they are constantly hungry because they don't know the best way to start out, they don't have money for food and so forth. It will leave a bad taste in a player's mouth.

How about single seat pilots in mid combat, oh I got to take out this swarm of npc's or players. Oh wait I can't see the enemy cause my vision is blurry and they die because of hunger.

Yes these are bad examples and worse case but I know we will see things that screw over players because of this mechanic being forced.

A survival game, take Ark or Conan Exiles as such. Food is literally in front of your face at all times. Oh I'm hungry, lets grab a pile of leaves and berries to eat. In SC for example, what if I'm on a moon (no plants and animals) and I get hungry, what am I supposed to eat. No animals to hunt there either. Oh wait, how am I supposed to eat this stuff on a moon anyhow, I can't take off my helmet to eat this if it was there anyhow, lets now even mention how you are supposed to get water from a barren moon.

This is going to blow up very badly in their faces and it will piss off so many people about how they wasted resources that was not needed.

Oh but wait, we have lots of kiosks, bars, and places to eat. Yep that is true, again, if its food that gives a buff, it should be a choice and introduce a social aspect rather than a forced system

LoicFarris

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 1, 2019
RSI Handle
LoicFarris
Honestly, I get why you're upset. I would be patient, it's not like you have to leave right now. Go in, test the system, offer "non-emotional" feedback and see where things go. I can't say that I want to deal with dieing if I don't eat food, but it's not going to chase me out of the game. The last star-citizen live video that was put out explained that they take things as close as they can to realism then they bring it back to where it's fun. I honestly think they're making the mechanic more realistic off the bat so they can bring it back to where it's fun.

Ideally speaking, food should offer buffs, I can see some de-buffs if you neglect to eat at all. Shaky hands making it harder to aim, less stamina making it harder to run etc. What I'm a little more disappointed about is the fact that there's no drunk mechanic coming with this. I want to have a crazy party on an 890 and wake up with a massive hangover on the floor of in some random place.

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
Honestly, I get why you're upset. I would be patient, it's not like you have to leave right now. Go in, test the system, offer "non-emotional" feedback and see where things go. I can't say that I want to deal with dieing if I don't eat food, but it's not going to chase me out of the game. The last star-citizen live video that was put out explained that they take things as close as they can to realism then they bring it back to where it's fun. I honestly think they're making the mechanic more realistic off the bat so they can bring it back to where it's fun.

Ideally speaking, food should offer buffs, I can see some de-buffs if you neglect to eat at all. Shaky hands making it harder to aim, less stamina making it harder to run etc. What I'm a little more disappointed about is the fact that there's no drunk mechanic coming with this. I want to have a crazy party on an 890 and wake up with a massive hangover on the floor of in some random place.
Why stop there?
Add in hallucinogens as well!!!

Start out partying on an 890, think you walked onto a station to get some food, pass out, wake up in a slave hold of a BMM, then come to find out when you thought you signed a receipt for purchasing food you actually signed your own slave contract.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
AM,

Just a suggestion...Before you give up on SC I'd like to offer a few things to consider:
The term "survival game" has many definitions.
a. Consuming nutrition based on what they've been doing in game.
b. Consuming nutrition based on a characters skill level
c. Consuming nutrition ANYTIME

Games like "SCUM", "7 Days to Die", "Ark" and "Conan Exiles" fall into the true definition of a "survival game to me. Not Star Citizen.
I know many players have run through the game passing vendors, restaurants, etc. and I have to wonder do they think those things are just there for decoration?
They're there and easily accessible as social zones.

In STAR WARS GALAXIES we had to visit doctors and cantinas to be buffed and healed (basically the same as eating). We would have to do this for up to 10-15 minutes depending on how bad you were injured. No one complained about it taking away from gameplay. Eating a candy bar, burger or drinking water once every 3 hours can't even be compared!

If you think this mechanic turns players off , wait until limited inventory kicks in (we're all use to having a "magic bag-of-holding" right now. Yet, I believe CIG will make this mechanic one we'll be satisfied with in the end.

This isn't the first time CIG has introduced something in the game design that some in the community didn't agree with (i.e. hover-mode, struts). When the community responded with rational criticism they listened and made changes. That's the purpose of backers voices during Alpha (which you already know).

CIG is also still working through this mechanic and NOTHING IS IN STONE. We're far from things being permanent. I'd suggest you continue to enjoy the game, raise your concerns in Spectrum (a toll which too many people don't use) and wait to see. If you bail now you may find their final decision is one you'd find works.

ADDENDUM:
I think the statement highlighted below from the devs may give some hope:

richt-CIG@richt-CIG
Today at 11:34 am
In terms of how often you should be eating/drinking - the idea behind it was to make it long enough so that it was not intrusive to the gameplay - but short enough that at least you had to eat/drink once a play session (i.e. several hours). If we made it too long it would kind of devalue the purpose of having it at all.

Hope you're stick around, hate to see you go!
GriffinGamingRPG
I feel that until CIG implements players having their own personal hangars & HAB's live in game, that them eliminating the "magic bag-of-holding" will be a suicidal mistake on the hands of those in charge at CIG. Most of us have far more items in our "hangar" portions of our accounts than we can store in our ships. Epsecially since the bugs still cause us to lose those ships needlessly.

Well I said my 2 cent in the AMA post if you want to support it vote it up!
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/player-status-system-ama/2877581

CHEERS 🍻
I upvoted the posts for @Mich Angel , @Tealwraith & @Deroth

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
Upvoted and I agree this is a bad system to implement. I get it it, the eating system gives a boost to various things in game but it should be an optional choice.

Think about a new player, they will come in, be lost in the game, have little to no credits but they buy things such as hand mining gear, armor or weapons. Now they go out and start trying to earn credits but they are constantly hungry because they don't know the best way to start out, they don't have money for food and so forth. It will leave a bad taste in a player's mouth.

How about single seat pilots in mid combat, oh I got to take out this swarm of npc's or players. Oh wait I can't see the enemy cause my vision is blurry and they die because of hunger.

Yes these are bad examples and worse case but I know we will see things that screw over players because of this mechanic being forced.

A survival game, take Ark or Conan Exiles as such. Food is literally in front of your face at all times. Oh I'm hungry, lets grab a pile of leaves and berries to eat. In SC for example, what if I'm on a moon (no plants and animals) and I get hungry, what am I supposed to eat. No animals to hunt there either. Oh wait, how am I supposed to eat this stuff on a moon anyhow, I can't take off my helmet to eat this if it was there anyhow, lets now even mention how you are supposed to get water from a barren moon.

This is going to blow up very badly in their faces and it will piss off so many people about how they wasted resources that was not needed.

Oh but wait, we have lots of kiosks, bars, and places to eat. Yep that is true, again, if its food that gives a buff, it should be a choice and introduce a social aspect rather than a forced system
you will run out of oxygen before you die due to starvation. I think people are over reacting to this and i think this type of thing could really help fill out those times of just Quantum traveling with nothing to do. Hell almost every single ship in the game has an eatting area and i dont think its going to be that hard to do. It's a waste if they dont use this mechanic even just a little I also dont think its going to be a oh every 1 hour i have to eat. It will probably be a casual thing that you will start seeing effects kind of like subnautica. If i were you just wait and see how the eatting and what not is.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
you will run out of oxygen before you die due to starvation. I think people are over reacting to this and i think this type of thing could really help fill out those times of just Quantum traveling with nothing to do. Hell almost every single ship in the game has an eatting area and i dont think its going to be that hard to do. It's a waste if they dont use this mechanic even just a little I also dont think its going to be a oh every 1 hour i have to eat. It will probably be a casual thing that you will start seeing effects kind of like subnautica. If i were you just wait and see how the eatting and what not is.
I agree, I think ppl are taking this way too seriously. Also apart from the single seat small fighters, they do have at least a cupboard and a sink in like every ship. If it's such a huge concerne, maybe they should add a little dispenser item that pops out minimum ration tablets like every 4 hours so you can't starve if you're anywhere near your ship.

But Subnautica as an example of being casual? Lol, all I remember of that game is that I had stop doing whatever I was like every 10 minutes and hunt some random fish just to not starve! Or cram my inventory full of water and food if I wanted to be away from base for more than 20 minutes. It was ridiculously grindy and annoying after thr first few days of gameplay.
It is exactly what I don't want to see in SC!

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
I agree, I think ppl are taking this way too seriously. Also apart from the single seat small fighters, they do have at least a cupboard and a sink in like every ship. If it's such a huge concerne, maybe they should add a little dispenser item that pops out minimum ration tablets like every 4 hours so you can't starve if you're anywhere near your ship.

But Subnautica as an example of being casual? Lol, all I remember of that game is that I had stop doing whatever I was like every 10 minutes and hunt some random fish just to not starve! Or cram my inventory full of water and food if I wanted to be away from base for more than 20 minutes. It was ridiculously grindy and annoying after thr first few days of gameplay.
ah i forgot there is an older Subnautica i think the newer one they kind of tonned all that down. i think it was subnautica sub zero or something it didnt seem that bad with the food and what not from what i saw on jack septiceye's video. i think he ate maybe a total of 2 times in 1 hour. and i dont even think he had to eat at those moments he just ate because he felt like it.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
My view is simple, if they want to take this food requirement mechanic to the point where it kills your char, regardless of time, that's taking things too far & kills the fun factor. Having a minor debuff to make things more difficult from not eating is 1 thing, death is stupid too far in any game. It would be far more interesting to have nothing happen by not eating or drinking, but you get better boosts or debuffs based on what you choose to consume. Which is how it's done in games like WoW.

Tei

Captain
Dec 8, 2019
RSI Handle
TeiwazWolf
When I played Subnautica around 1-1.5 year ago I had an option to play in mode not requiring food and water at all.... I did not even tried other modes.
Think this self explain my position of this food, drink, shower, crap and what-else-nonsense-they-introduce in SC.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
ah i forgot there is an older Subnautica i think the newer one they kind of tonned all that down. i think it was subnautica sub zero or something it didnt seem that bad with the food and what not from what i saw on jack septiceye's video. i think he ate maybe a total of 2 times in 1 hour. and i dont even think he had to eat at those moments he just ate because he felt like it.
I have played the new one although quiet a while ago, it was a bit lighter on the food and drink aspects but not by much, I hope they made it even less of a necessity cos I wanna delve into it properly later this year.

When I played Subnautica around 1-1.5 year ago I had an option to play in mode not requiring food and water at all.... I did not even tried other modes.
Think this self explain my position of this food, drink, shower, crap and what-else-nonsense-they-introduce in SC.
Yep. I tried that mode but it takes away a lot of the risk-reward for me. But if you are more into the building and exploring casual gameplay, it is cool that it can be turned off.

I don't think this is the risk-reward system they should aim for when doing long range explorations. SC was not supposed to be a survival game at all. Jamming everything they can think of into one game won't make it better, it will make it a mess.

Will they implement this into SQ42 so you gotta go eat after every flight mission so you have a reason to visit the mess hall and talk to NPC-s? Will you have to decide whether you take 3 Snickers bars or 3 extra mags when on a long search and rescue mission like in the SQ42 demo from CitCon?
I hope not.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Yet another instance of CIG throwing out contradictory information.
Not sure how its contradictory information. I could see if two people within CIG were saying two different things at the same time but there comes a point whereas the game evolves concepts change from their initial vision.

All of the signs of this new direction where there. From the amount of resources being spent on bars and bartenders. The idea that mission givers are being placed in bars. The food courts and food vending machines that have been added to many locations. It's not like food is going to be hard to come by but they do seem to want players to come together out of necessity and one of those will be grabbing a bite to eat while also stocking your ship up with snacks before heading out on a long trip.

It also is going to fit into the ships themselves as we see ships that have food pre areas, beds, showers and toilets and ships that don't. On top of that they continue to say they plan on implementing as much realism as they can then tuning it back until its fun. And they so far have been true to their word on this.

Thraesh

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2019
RSI Handle
Thraesh19
Not sure how its contradictory information. I could see if two people within CIG were saying two different things at the same time but there comes a point whereas the game evolves concepts change from their initial vision.

All of the signs of this new direction where there. From the amount of resources being spent on bars and bartenders. The idea that mission givers are being placed in bars. The food courts and food vending machines that have been added to many locations. It's not like food is going to be hard to come by but they do seem to want players to come together out of necessity and one of those will be grabbing a bite to eat while also stocking your ship up with snacks before heading out on a long trip.

It also is going to fit into the ships themselves as we see ships that have food pre areas, beds, showers and toilets and ships that don't. On top of that they continue to say they plan on implementing as much realism as they can then tuning it back until its fun. And they so far have been true to their word on this.
I agree I like the concept of the food buffs, but it should still be a choice of gameplay and not a forced mechanic. How does the player in a dog fight do when he gets really hungry or thirsty, what about players who are hand mining on a barren planet with no actual way to eat or drink their food?

What about you go out and forget food or drink, where do you obtain that on planets without vegetation?

I like the concept, I don't like the forced bad endings that can come of it and is contradictory to what Chris Roberts stated in 2015 in a video, the very first question. There shouldn't be harsh penalties

Forgot your password?