Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Is that a euphemism for "old'?

All those pills looked like the naproxen I take for pain, lol
The classic scene in the first Matrix where Morpheus offers him a red and blue pill.

Take the blue one and go back to life as normal in the Matrix, take the red pill and wake up to the truth which has been hidden from you.

The term getting "red pilled" was then coopted by the right wing politics in the US, much to the disappointment of the films directors, the Wachowskis:

1631374470997.png

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
The classic scene in the first Matrix where Morpheus offers him a red and blue pill.

Take the blue one and go back to life as normal in the Matrix, take the red pill and wake up to the truth which has been hidden from you.

The term getting "red pilled" was then coopted by the right wing politics in the US, much to the disappointment of the films directors, the Wachowskis:

View attachment 21332
Sad but true.

I just hope they don't ride this real world connection too hard in the movie and come to to resolution that you gotta stay blue pilled to save the world cos insert arbitrary bullshit reason #3725. I'm not murican, I'd rather not give a shit about their real world political activism when I'm trying to enjoy a Sci fi fantasy movie as a form of escapism... But looking at what Hollywood is pushing out these days I wouldn't be surprised if that's the whole plot of the movie.

Still I'm kinda hyped, loved the original, I'll be sure to give this a watch!
And yeah, Mister Silverhand Anderson didn't age that well.

Reactions: Bambooza

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
I can't wait for Cyberpunk Resurrected!

View attachment 21332
thanks, I was being facetious...I immediately tossed in my Matrix DVD and watched the first third again, last night...

I didn't know about the right-wing polittical nutcases co-opting the whole thing; very sad.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
The term getting "red pilled" was then coopted by the right wing politics in the US, much to the disappointment of the films directors, the Wachowskis
The Wachowski brothers took to hating everyone well before they became the Wachowski sisters. From the time of their earliest sexual addictions and revelry in LA BDSM clubs, just after the first Matrix movie release, they have been equal opportunity offenders of everyone who gets near them. They hate everyone, which is no real surprise for BDSM addicts. So spouting that peope who use any kind of development in English should fuck themselves, is really no big deal. They want everyone to go fuck themselves.

The notion of being "red pilled" became popular vernacular immediately after the first film. I know. I was there.

Last edited:

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
So it's basically the same as the old films? :S

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
The general plot devise of all the Matrix films is known as "solipsism", which is to say the subject can't know anything past that they exist. Think DesCartes "I think, therefore I am". The point is horror. Just how much of what you believe to be true is not? Is reality real? This is a fantastically common and successful plot devise, and you can see it in over a dozen different Star Trek episodes going back to the original series.

The studio statement about the Matrix Resurrections is indeed that they're using the same ploy, and that it presumes only the first of the films, and takes the audience "deeper down the rabbit hole".

"The Matrix Resurrections" is a continuation of the story established in the first MATRIX film. It reunites Keanu Reeves and Carrie-Anne Moss as cinematic icons Neo & Trinity in an expansion of their story that ventures back into the Matrix and even deeper down the rabbit hole. A mind-bending new adventure with action and epic scale, it's set in a familiar yet even more provocative world where reality is more subjective than ever and all that's required to see the truth is to free your mind.
20 years after the first film, the franchise that helped define pop culture at the turn of the century is back for a continuation and extension of the original movie. The Matrix remains in the zeitgeist as a film that has changed the way we look at cinema and reality itself. With its game changing action and visual effects, The Matrix helped pave the way for films to follow."

I for one am in. Matrix is in my estimation the greatest solipsist story ever told. The sequels weren't nearly so good but they've had 20+ years to think about how to do a sequel right, so lets see what we see. The problem of course is that the plot devise is only a surprise in the first film. It's not a surprise in the later films and indeed you can't use the same ploy twice and expect a surprise the second and third time. So it will be interesting to see what the Wachowskis can dream up that will be a surprise.

I will own I'm disappointed Laurence Fishburne isn't joining in. That does not bode well. The net is buzzing wondering why, but he hasn't made a statement so far as I know.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
I wonder how grounded the fights will be, or won't be at all. I liked all the fistfights in 1, mostly grounded in reality just faster/stronger, but in 2 and 3 they went all out anime up to the last fight with supermen boxing mid air. It looked kinda cool but even as a kid I wasn't really a fan of that style change. I hope they bring it back down to "I know kung fu"' levels for most of them as, although even in the trailer it shows some dragon ball blast finishing move so...

I recognize that scene with all the pills being discarded into the sink, does this mean we are getting gunkata fight scenes as well?
Also CinemaSins: " Lawrence Fishburne is not in this movie" +10sins
(at least he will be in JW4 if I remember correctly)

Reactions: Bambooza

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Reactions: Lorddarthvik

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
Ooooh, righto. Might give it a look in, the whole Pandemic thing has knocked my attendance to films on its arse though. I missed Bill and Ted face the music 😢
I know its not the same but I think bill and ted face the music was/still is on Hulu. Can you access that on your side of the pond?

Forgot your password?