The practical use of Carrier birds.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
My current fleet is an Avenger, a Sabre, a Vanguard Warden and a Retaliator, plus a couple of bikes.
In my fleet the Sabre serves the role of Carrier fighter for the Org, stealth recon and hard hitting combat craft to cover other missions.
The Avenger is supposed to fill the role of multi-purpose light craft, that can haul some bounties.

Granted they don't have the fuel mechanics balanced, but it is looking like the range on the Avenger and Sabre are going to be shorter than I will want to normally deal with. I am keeping the Sabre because I should have a stealth ship, especially one that is quick, agile and hard hitting. I figure I should also have a single seat fighter that fits in most carrier hangars.

Given hints by CIG, it appears the Rover will be important to have available.
Now I don't know if I can carry a rover in the forward bay of my Retaliator but the Retaliator is supposed to get a Bounty Hunter Module.

The Avenger doesn't really carry enough cargo to be useful, it isn't as fast, as agile or as hard hitting as the Sabre, so I am thinking it needs to be replaced.

I really dislike the Cutlass, in fact all Drake Ships, yes, it is irrational, but I just can't stand any Drake ship except the Dragonfly. :)
I could probably live with the Freelancer, but I would prefer a better view and a more comfortable interior.
The Connie, especially the Phoenix, appears to, capability wise, check all the boxes but the struts drive me nuts, and it is boring.
The Valkyrie needs too big a crew, but checks most of the boxes, especially if I can lock a prisoner into a troop seat.
The Star Runner might work but the firepower is anemic it can't carry a rover, and with all the same cargo capacity, same crew as an Andromeda and same price as an Andromeda, is the better looks really worth it?

600i Explorer?

What do you guys think?

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Damn man, you've got the fleet fever. I am currently experiencing the same thing. I don't begrudge you.

I struggle with the Drake ships as well. Forever, my daily runabout was going to be the Cutty Blue, but I've grown off of it (again). I've since replaced it with the MSR, which I feel like will be my go-to. If you don't want a Connie, and don't like Drake, get an MSR (I have a bunch of CCUs, including some warbond ones that cut off about 20 bucks). I loved the Lancer for a long time, and I can live with the view, but the interior is SO FUCKING BORING. I cut it. Which hurt, but she's gone.

I see you have no Carrack. That may fill that roll of ship that will carry the good for you. Has a small hangar, carries a rover, can fit a merlin, etc etc etc. Plus cargo (I have a UEE Exploration pack for 495 that has the Carrack, Terrapin and DF Black - sorry, not trying to sell you shit, just letting you know I can help if you need, lol).

Honestly, I'd say your options are the MSR, 600i, Carrack, and perhaps the Valk (I hear she's amazing). You're going to be hamstrung whatever individual ship you choose. Nothing will fill all the needs and be the be-all-end-all of ships for you. Which sucks, but hey, CIGs gotta make dollars, haha.

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I think Blind Owl has the range of options wrapped up, except don't forget the Hercules. That thing'll carry a Tonk once it's ready. It's a bit pricey, but then so is the 600i.

What kind of thing are you looking to carry? if it's just your bikes freelancer size would be ideal. if it's a Tumbril the FL max from that range is the only one that will carry it. Ursa and it'd be the Connie Taurus minimum. Ships, that'd be the Crucible or Endeavor with hangar module minimum.

I'd suggest the Corsair for anything up to Ursa size, but it's drake which risks being a total tub.

Value for money and carrying capacity I'd go for the Connie Taurus no matter how boring it is.

Last edited:

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Damn man, you've got the fleet fever. I am currently experiencing the same thing. I don't begrudge you.

I struggle with the Drake ships as well. Forever, my daily runabout was going to be the Cutty Blue, but I've grown off of it (again). I've since replaced it with the MSR, which I feel like will be my go-to. If you don't want a Connie, and don't like Drake, get an MSR (I have a bunch of CCUs, including some warbond ones that cut off about 20 bucks). I loved the Lancer for a long time, and I can live with the view, but the interior is SO FUCKING BORING. I cut it. Which hurt, but she's gone.

I see you have no Carrack. That may fill that roll of ship that will carry the good for you. Has a small hangar, carries a rover, can fit a merlin, etc etc etc. Plus cargo (I have a UEE Exploration pack for 495 that has the Carrack, Terrapin and DF Black - sorry, not trying to sell you shit, just letting you know I can help if you need, lol).

Honestly, I'd say your options are the MSR, 600i, Carrack, and perhaps the Valk (I hear she's amazing). You're going to hamstrung whatever you choose. Nothing will fill all the needs and be the be-all-end-all of ships for you. Which sucks, but hey, CIGs gotta make dollars, haha.
The Valk flies well, it feels like it fits between the Freelancer and the Vanguard for flight and it has a Raza vibe to it. With the crew size the crappy crew accommodations and the gimped Cargo, I like it but I don't think it is the one for me. It is too single role. :)

The Carrack is too big, I haven't flown one yet, but I really don't want anything that big. (And if I was going to spend that much and go that big, I would probably go with a Polaris or a Hammerhead.)

I like the MSR, but I am likely to end up with a Connie for the same price and cargo capacity, it checks all the boxes. I just wish they would get rid of the two horizontal struts, of not all of them. :) .

What I really want is Lucy from Killjoys. :) (The two engine ship from the beginning of the trailer. :) )

View: https://youtu.be/FoLJK2Gng_o

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
The Valk flies well, it feels like it fits between the Freelancer and the Vanguard for flight and it has a Raza vibe to it. With the crew size the crappy crew accommodations and the gimped Cargo, I like it but I don't think it is the one for me. It is too single role. :)

The Carrack is too big, I haven't flown one yet, but I really don't want anything that big. (And if I was going to spend that much and go that big, I would probably go with a Polaris or a Hammerhead.)

I like the MSR, but I am likely to end up with a Connie for the same price and cargo capacity, it checks all the boxes. I just wish they would get rid of the two horizontal struts, of not all of them. :) .

What I really want is Lucy from Killjoys. :) (The two engine ship from the beginning of the trailer. :) )

View: https://youtu.be/FoLJK2Gng_o
I fucking love Lucy, lol.

Carrack may feel too big, but she's a beauty of a ship. I'm there are many a TESTie that will extol the virtues of her to you, should you ask. @LoicFarris is one I can think of off the top of my head. In addition to that, if you do want to upgrade to a Polaris or HH, and can get a Carrack at original price ($350) then you make out like a villain, as her upgrade value is around $600 now I believe.

As for the Valk, is she single roll? Can you not use her to do a plethora of other things?

I can't personally get past the boring interior of the Connie, which is why the MSR is my baby.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
I think Blind Owl has the range of options wrapped up, except don't forget the Hercules. That thing'll carry a Tonk once it's ready. It's a bit pricey, but then so is the 600i.

What kind of thing are you looking to carry? if it's just your bikes freelancer size would be ideal. if it's a Tumbril the FL max from that range is the only one that will carry it. Ursa and it'd be the Connie Taurus minimum.

I'd suggest the Corsair but it's drake which risks being a total tub.

Value for money and carrying capacity I'd go for the Connie Taurus no matter how boring it is.
The Herc is huge. (Much bigger than I want to deal with. :) ) I just hope the interior makes more sense than the Starfarer. The Price (C2) fits between the Phoenix and the Valk. Thanks for bringing it up though.
In theory the Ursa will fit in a Max, if they allow the stupid turret arms to retract.

I keep coming back to the Ursa because it is the smallest ground vehicle that has a sealed life support system. (And they keep using it in adverse conditions in the Citizencons because of that. :) )

But yeah, I think the Connie is likely the best choice of what we currently know about.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
The Herc is huge. (Much bigger than I want to deal with. :) ) I just hope the interior makes more sense than the Starfarer. The Price (C2) fits between the Phoenix and the Valk. Thanks for bringing it up though.
In theory the Ursa will fit in a Max, if they allow the stupid turret arms to retract.

I keep coming back to the Ursa because it is the smallest ground vehicle that has a sealed life support system. (And they keep using it in adverse conditions in the Citizencons because of that. :) )

But yeah, I think the Connie is likely the best choice of what we currently know about.
One thing I will say the Max has over the Connie is that it is supposed to be the largest ship that can pass through a small jump point (unless that changes). That's quite a powerful advantage for an Ursa carrier if they don't bring anything else out with that capability.

What size jump hole will a Mercury be able to use? EDIT - I looked it up the original Q&A states the same as the Freelancer, at least for them moment. Then it would only depend on if an Ursa fits the Mercury.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale

Carrack may feel too big, but she's a beauty of a ship. I'm there are many a TESTie that will extol the virtues of her to you, should you ask. @LoicFarris is one I can think of off the top of my head. In addition to that, if you do want to upgrade to a Polaris or HH, and can get a Carrack at original price ($350) then you make out like a villain, as her upgrade value is around $600 now I believe.

As for the Valk, is she single roll? Can you not use her to do a plethora of other things?

I can't personally get past the boring interior of the Connie, which is why the MSR is my baby.
I like the Valk, and if they hadn't gimped the cargo and it didn't have the crew size I would have to consider it, even at that price. I spent quite a bit of time in one during a couple of PTU and the Anniversary sale. With that crew size (The same with the Carrack and the Hammerhead.) I have the Tali, which is still my favorite ship in the game. :) It is, easily, the best dropship in the game, and it isn't much more than a dropship.

I am kind of curious what the Redeemer is going to turn out to be. :)

BTW "I Love Lucy" is a season 2 episode. :)

View: https://youtu.be/Xwyq-XVHLaQ

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
One thing I will say the Max has over the Connie is that it is supposed to be the largest ship that can pass through a small jump point (unless that changes). That's quite a powerful advantage for an Ursa carrier if they don't bring anything else out with that capability.

What size jump hole will a Mercury be able to use? EDIT - I looked it up the original Q&A states the same as the Freelancer, at least for them moment. Then it would only depend on if an Ursa fits the Mercury.
The Ursa does not fit in the Mercury, according to the information. The turret access is at the end of the ramp. The ramp and the Turret access split the cargo hold making it questionable if you can even fit a Dragonfly in the cargo hold.

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
Man if only there was an affordable 1-3 person combat craft with an ample sized cargo room that could fit a rover. 🤔 🏴‍☠️

Crucible could be one to put on the "maybe when theres a mechanic behind it in a few years" category. Can definitely hold a rover, money-maker by repairing ships and patching em up, and can even carry your Sabre around if you wanted to.

But since we've had salvage scrapped 3x so far and it's not even on the roadmap for the rest of the year, it'd be a looooong wait.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Man if only there was an affordable 1-3 person combat craft with an ample sized cargo room that could fit a rover. 🤔 🏴‍☠️
Lol, Corsair. She's already on my acquisitions list.

Unless you're not taking about the Corsair, in which case enlighten me. I'm passing it as we speak, so I'm not thinking clearly.

Par for the course.
Crucible could be one to put on the "maybe when theres a mechanic behind it in a few years" category. Can definitely hold a rover, money-maker by repairing ships and patching em up, and can even carry your Sabre around if you wanted to.
@Stevetank had extolled the virtues of the crucible to me for quite some time. He may be very right. I keep waffling on buying one, because it doesn't have that sexy flair that seems to attract me.
I am kind of curious what the Redeemer is going to turn out to be. :)
Me too. She's in my core fleet. She'll either be amazing or get upgraded, lol.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane

Honestly, I'd say your options are the MSR, 600i, Carrack, and perhaps the Valk (I hear she's amazing). You're going to be hamstrung whatever individual ship you choose. Nothing will fill all the needs and be the be-all-end-all of ships for you. Which sucks, but hey, CIGs gotta make dollars, haha.
Or, in the spirit of TESTification, you can sell off all of the ships that you're not sure about using that you have for cash, save the funds until launch, then use those funds to satisfy your beverage cravings while you borrow ships that you don't have from friends. Just remember to return the ships with an artistic TEST landing for them to admire.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Or, in the spirit of TESTification, you can sell off all of the ships that you're not sure about using that you have for cash, save the funds until launch, then use those funds to satisfy your beverage cravings while you borrow ships that you don't have from friends. Just remember to return the ships with an artistic TEST landing for them to admire.
Lol, this is always an option.

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
My current fleet is an Avenger, a Sabre, a Vanguard Warden and a Retaliator, plus a couple of bikes.
In my fleet the Sabre serves the role of Carrier fighter for the Org, stealth recon and hard hitting combat craft to cover other missions.
The Avenger is supposed to fill the role of multi-purpose light craft, that can haul some bounties.

Granted they don't have the fuel mechanics balanced, but it is looking like the range on the Avenger and Sabre are going to be shorter than I will want to normally deal with. I am keeping the Sabre because I should have a stealth ship, especially one that is quick, agile and hard hitting. I figure I should also have a single seat fighter that fits in most carrier hangars.

Given hints by CIG, it appears the Rover will be important to have available.
Now I don't know if I can carry a rover in the forward bay of my Retaliator but the Retaliator is supposed to get a Bounty Hunter Module.

The Avenger doesn't really carry enough cargo to be useful, it isn't as fast, as agile or as hard hitting as the Sabre, so I am thinking it needs to be replaced.

I really dislike the Cutlass, in fact all Drake Ships, yes, it is irrational, but I just can't stand any Drake ship except the Dragonfly. :)
I could probably live with the Freelancer, but I would prefer a better view and a more comfortable interior.
The Connie, especially the Phoenix, appears to, capability wise, check all the boxes but the struts drive me nuts, and it is boring.
The Valkyrie needs too big a crew, but checks most of the boxes, especially if I can lock a prisoner into a troop seat.
The Star Runner might work but the firepower is anemic it can't carry a rover, and with all the same cargo capacity, same crew as an Andromeda and same price as an Andromeda, is the better looks really worth it?

600i Explorer?

What do you guys think?
I'd say Corsair or Carrack if you are looking for something to carry vehicles and that has some cargo and a bit of firepower (i dont own a corsair but it looks awsome). Honestly Carrack is not a combat ship, the guns are just enough to scare any mosquitoes. I like my carrack but i wont use it for ship combat, better use for vehicle drop ship. You can stuff 2 ursas and 2 cyclones with back wheels on the ramp in the carrack without any issues + 2 snubs krugers in the hangar. But bigger vehicles like ballista wont fit.

The HH can hold an ursa, but the cargohold is anemic. With a bit of skills you can park a few dragonflies moving them a bit off the elevator ramp inside the ship and also have an ursa/cyclone on the elevator. Ship does not explode 😏

About the Polaris, i havent read anywhere yet that you can fit vehicles inside.

Last edited:
  • o7
Reactions: Talonsbane

LoicFarris

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 1, 2019
RSI Handle
LoicFarris

To be honest... A ship that can be run by 3 people w/ ample cargo and room to fit a rover... Carrack!

Okay but why do I say Carrack. Because you can honestly fly it effectively w/ a single pilot and 2 additional players in the side turrets. I've also run cargo in the ship on my own just fine, once you spend the creds upgrading her, she's super fast, tough as nails and w/ the super expensive coolers / power plant out of A18, she'll fire Attritions w/o over-heating. So maybe the Carrack just feels too big, honestly you're limited at that point. In concept the Corsair is a good option, but she's not out yet, the Hercules is supposed to be comparable in size to a HH, so a C2 or M2 may be an option, the A2 is the beast, less cargo (still carries a single tank) but it's also the price of a Polaris. Back to Carrack, consider the Pieces option there too, it's more convenient than you may realize.

Anyhow my 2 cents.

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
Have to agree about Drake ships.. just can't get interested in stuff built to the lowest possible spec. In game terms I understand the concept - build utilitarian that can function on whatever components are at hand, especially away from population centers. It also makes pirates an easier target to kill, sort of a built-in handicap for those who bite on the hook of CIG's Pirate image.

Having said that, the Corsair seems pretty close to what you describe. The side turrets are questionable, but the forward facing firepower is good and there is a remote rear turret. Having two medium shields gives it a useful level of durability, and the aft bay is supposed to fit an Ursa. Being Drake, it will probably also pop like a balloon once the shields are down.

More honestly tho.. We are seriously lacking in the Medium Ship category and I don't think what you are looking for exists in the game at this time. The guys have discussed all the current options, so the only thought I can add is to watch for the holes to be filled when new concepts come out.

Mercury - stated that it will fit the space bikes, but the cargo arrangement prevents a tumbril or Ursa.

Valk - flexible ship, not the best at anything other than dropping a lot of grunts on a target. Probably biggest limitation is having players to man enough guns.

Max - soloable, fat-ass with a lot of flexibility. Don't underestimate the force that 4 size 3 gimballed guns can apply. But until the bars get fixed (according to John Crewe they will be!) sort of defeats the use of the Ursa.

Carrack is much bigger, but provides a ridiculous amount of options for gameplay. It's worth considering, even if only as a reference point.

Andromeda *should* be the ship that you are seeking. I can't recommend tho, not until it gets more attention from the devs. Having said that, if you have to have something right now...

My brother runs a 600i Explorer, and it is in our top three ships for daily use. Aesthetics aside, it easily fits an Ursa, a nominal amount of cargo, is quick on acceleration and carries a reasonable amount of firepower between the main guns and the turrets. 1 can fly it and 3 people can run it efficiently, and internal amenities are second to none for its size. I particularly like the separate room for weapons and suits, although its not fully implemented yet. It uses a Large shield generator, which is fitting as a large target lol. IF the cost is not an issue for you, this may be the way to go.

Finally.. delving into a bit of speculation, there is an obvious gap in the Origin lineup between the 300 and 600 series. While other manufacturers could throw stuff in there as well, given how well the Origin's are set up for gameplay elements this is a space to watch.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
To be honest... A ship that can be run by 3 people w/ ample cargo and room to fit a rover... Carrack!

Okay but why do I say Carrack. Because you can honestly fly it effectively w/ a single pilot and 2 additional players in the side turrets. I've also run cargo in the ship on my own just fine, once you spend the creds upgrading her, she's super fast, tough as nails and w/ the super expensive coolers / power plant out of A18, she'll fire Attritions w/o over-heating. So maybe the Carrack just feels too big, honestly you're limited at that point. In concept the Corsair is a good option, but she's not out yet, the Hercules is supposed to be comparable in size to a HH, so a C2 or M2 may be an option, the A2 is the beast, less cargo (still carries a single tank) but it's also the price of a Polaris. Back to Carrack, consider the Pieces option there too, it's more convenient than you may realize.

Anyhow my 2 cents.
YES! Carrack love. This man know his shit! He actually plays the game! I just spend on it. And shitpost.
Having said that, the Corsair seems pretty close to what you describe.
I also agree with this. I just went to considerable lengths (bought outside of TEST) to get one.
Carrack is much bigger, but provides a ridiculous amount of options for gameplay. It's worth considering, even if only as a reference point.
Amen sister/brother/unicorn/spirit squirrel!

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
More honestly tho.. We are seriously lacking in the Medium Ship category and I don't think what you are looking for exists in the game at this time. The guys have discussed all the current options, so the only thought I can add is to watch for the holes to be filled when new concepts come out.
One of the biggest holes, with prison game play coming online, is the mid tier Bounty Hunter ship (that isn't made by Drake. :) ) There is also no endgame Bounty Hunter Ship.

We have 3 low end ships, the Avenger, the Hawk and the Cutlass Blue, and that is it.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
One of the biggest holes, with prison game play coming online, is the mid tier Bounty Hunter ship (that isn't made by Drake. :) ) There is also no endgame Bounty Hunter Ship.

We have 3 low end ships, the Avenger, the Hawk and the Cutlass Blue, and that is it.
I wouldn't call it end game bounty hunter per say but where CIG is having a mission where a Cat is used by the advocacy to haul prisoners to the prison, I wonder how many prisoners you could potentially transport within the large cargo containers of a Hull-E.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl

Concur. We need MOAR! Or at least something that is capable of being used as a bounty hunting ship.

Forgot your password?