the Sentinel

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
This is what I remember. Missiles. Which is one of the reasons that it wasn't super important to have the Sentinel base, just the BUK. But if it indeed has this stealth armour, and the ability to mask it's signature, well, that's pretty awesome. Also, I really want to see what the actual capability is in regards to EWAR. If is has this "station" built in, how does it utilize it? What are the actual functions?
All valid questions. Wow, they really need to do a Q&A on this ship again! having used the EMP and it's loadout on NPC's I'm really digging where this ship is right now.

Am enjoying it while it lasts, will be disappointed when it changes in the fullness of time, but thats the risk of playing the meta. If it seems to good to be true, it probably won't be soon even though this is a heavy and should be able to deliver a kicking.

Last edited:

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
All valid questions. Wow, they really need to do a Q&A on this ship again! having used the EMP and it's loadout on NPC's I'm really digging where this ship is right now.

Am enjoying it while it lasts, will be disappointed when it changes in the fullness of time, but thats the risk of playing the meta. If it seems to good to be true, it probably won't be soon even though this is a heavy and should be able to deliver a kicking.
They really do need to do another Q&A. So many changes. ANSWER ALL THE QUESTIONS!

Reactions: Vavrik

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
From the tech overview, it's the only thing I can find in relation to EMP:

View attachment 14037

I'd rather have the generator over missiles as the generator can be used again and again gratis whereas I assume the missiles are going to be single use and expensive to replace... unless you have them boomerang back to you after discharging.

EMP missiles also puts the ability on any ship in the 'Verse capable of holding a rack which takes away one of Ageists USP's.
From the description, which has always been more accurate than the stats: "The conversion features an AR cockpit, an external e-War pod, decoy missiles and a set of EMP charges."

That still implies single use per charge.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
E-war and stealth are polar opposites. There is nothing on the Sentinel page that even suggests stealth.

If it had said stealth on the page, I would have gotten the Warden with the Sentinel BUK.

Reactions: Blind Owl

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
the Hoplite has more armor than what?

The Harbinger has more armor than the other variants. The Hoplite and Warden are the same.
Actually you've got them confused too. (Happens to everyone.)

The Hoplite has the most armor becasue it carries troops, about 25% more armor than the Warden and Harbinger. They have about 10% more armor than the Sentinel. the Hoplite also comes with about 8% better shields, than the Warden and Harby, and the Sentinel with about 50% less. You can of course change the shields, but I doubt you'll be able to change the armor. If you're not going to use stealth, I highly recommend the Hoplite frame.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl

The Hoplite has the most armor becasue it carries troops, about 25% more armor than the Warden and Harbinger. They have about 10% more armor than the Sentinel. the Hoplite also comes with about 8% better shields, than the Warden and Harby, and the Sentinel with about 50% less. You can of course change the shields, but I doubt you'll be able to change the armor. If you're not going to use stealth, I highly recommend the Hoplite frame.
Really? Damn, I too thought the Harby had the highest. Now I'll have to research, haha.

I opted for stealth in the end. Sentinel in my hangar, with Harby BUK ...and Harby CCU. Just in case.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale

Where did you see that about armor?

The Harbinger has more armor and is slower. The Warden and Sentinel are the same weight and speed. The Sentinel has lighter armor and is faster.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Could be another error on Hardpoint then, but the stats as they have them seem to make sense. I'm sure they're getting their data straight from CIG, but could be they input it wrong. Hardpoint has all the Vanguard the same speed save the Warden which is about 10% faster, so I supposed it is lighter.

BTW, on the modules, I don't think they're as simple to swap as people think. The Hoplite does not have beds (it may have a bathroom just fore of the starboard mid secton seats--I can't tell what that door is and no vids I have seen have explained it yet), so they're not all the same, and the Sentinel has the beds starboard, while the Warden and Harbinger have them port. It looks like it is possible, if you wanted to go without the beds, you could fly the Sentinel EWar suite (port) with the Harby's 3 S5 torps (starboard).

BTW, I saw a vid the other day where the author was speaking of carrying cargo on the Vanguards as common, despite it can't be locked down. Has anyone ever put a cargo container on the ramp to see if it will open and close with containers on? Since there is now a door between the ramp and module, seems it could be safer for carrying small amounts of cargo, even if you have to move it to get to the ramp. And if you leave the door open between the ramp and Hoplite or Sentinel mid section, I think an X1 may fit. It would be very interesting if even a single X1 fit with 6 mercs in the Hoplite. You just know if it does, someone needs to drive it out the back while the Hoppy is in flight.

Last edited:

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Could be another error on Hardpoint then, but the stats as they have them seem to make sense. I'm sure they're getting their data straight from CIG, but could be they input it wrong. Hardpoint has all the Vanguard the same speed save the Warden which is about 10% faster, so I supposed it is lighter.

BTW, on the modules, I don't think they're as simple to swap as people think. The Hoplite does not have beds (it may have a bathroom just fore of the starboard mid secton seats--I can't tell what that door is and no vids I have seen have explained it yet), so they're not all the same, and the Sentinel has the beds starboard, while the Warden and Harbinger have them port. It looks like it is possible, if you wanted to go without the beds, you could fly the Sentinel EWar suite (port) with the Harby's 3 S5 torps (starboard).

BTW, I saw a vid the other day where the author was speaking of carrying cargo on the Vanguards as common, despite it can't be locked down. Has anyone ever put a cargo container on the ramp to see if it will open and close with containers on? Since there is now a door between the ramp and module, seems it could be safer for carrying small amounts of cargo, even if you have to move it to get to the ramp. And if you leave the door open between the ramp and Hoplite or Sentinel mid section, I think an X1 may fit. It would be very interesting if even a single X1 fit with 6 mercs in the Hoplite. You just know if it does, someone needs to drive it out the back while the Hoppy is in flight.
My comment on which Vanguard has armor comes from Crewe in the all ships video.

In the PU currently, the Sentinel is faster than the Vanguard. In the PTU the Harbinger was slower. In the 3.6 PTU the Hoplite and Warden were the same. Which matches "everything about ships."

I carry courier boxes in the cabin. The "lock down" mechanic is not in game, yet.

Jet bikes are not in a condition to fit.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I've been watching the Sentinel combat vids and that Attrition does chew up enemies very quickly. What I am watching though is pretty foolish stuff. Guys firing the 4 S2 guns when they're not in range, etc.

What I have not seen is the potent Vanguard missiles in use. You'd think now while missiles are free?, people would use them. Can anyone confirm the Sentinel does now come with the Arrester III missiles onboard? The Sentinel is supposed to come with them. Does it? Has anyone used them? Are they acting yet as spikes or are they still blowing stuff up?

I'm just wondering why I have yet to see anyone launch a full battery of 4, S3 missiles at a target at 9 km and see what happens.

Last edited:

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
I've been watching the Sentinel combat vids and that Attrition does chew up enemies very quickly. What I am watching though is pretty foolish stuff. Guys firing the 4 S2 guns when they're not in range, etc.

What I have not seen is the potent Vanguard missiles in use. You'd think now while missiles are free?, people would use them. Can anyone confirm the Sentinel does now come with the Arrester III missiles onboard? The Sentinel is supposed to come with them. Does it? Has anyone used them? Are they acting yet as spikes or are they still blowing stuff up?

I'm just wondering why I have yet to see anyone launch a full battery of 4, S3 missiles at a target at 9 km and see what happens.
I have only been using the size 2s, one or two at a time. That plus the 557 and laser repeaters in the nose have pretty much killed anything I have closed with. I could look, but flying has been hit or miss for me.

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca
For the Sentinel the standard layout is that S2 and S4 on the Sentinel share the same weapon group 1. Weapon group 2 is EMP. Currently we don't have a weapon group 3. ㄟʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

I know this isn't a very strong argument but the Sentinel can fire for ages :)

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
For the Sentinel the standard layout is that S2 and S4 on the Sentinel share the same weapon group 1. Weapon group 2 is EMP. Currently we don't have a weapon group 3. ㄟʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

I know this isn't a very strong argument but the Sentinel can fire for ages :)
Weapon group 3 is usually middle mouse button but I must admit I think Missiles suck arse and don't use them. I'll go look at mine now and see whats stick to it.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Weapon group 3 is usually middle mouse button but I must admit I think Missiles suck arse and don't use them. I'll go look at mine now and see whats stick to it.
Yep, missiles are middle mouse button.

Arrester III are there, they are classed as standard S3 cross-section detecting missiles.

Full load of eggs as on the Sentinel:

ScreenShot0187.jpg

And achieving lock with them:

ScreenShot0188.jpg

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
There are two nice things about the Arrester IIIs. First is, you can load 8 of them and launch 2 salvos of 4 each, at 9 km, which is outside the range of any combatant that hasn't also got S3 missiles.

Second, those are the missiles CIG said will be spike missiles in the future, so they're the ones that can stop ships same as distortion cannons and EMPs. So launching them at 9 km is pretty threatening.

Except that yeah, missiles suck. CIG raised the shield strength and then raised the gun strength, but left the missiles all timid. Right now, I don't think you can take down a Lancer with 8 S3 missiles, which is crazy. That needs some balance. Still a good skill to hone though. Most fighters can't carry S3 missiles, so they have an upper hand. Even if all you're doing is knocking down a Hornet's shields as you close on him, that's worthwhile, IMHO.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
There are two nice things about the Arrester IIIs. First is, you can load 8 of them and launch 2 salvos of 4 each, at 9 km, which is outside the range of any combatant that hasn't also got S3 missiles.

Second, those are the missiles CIG said will be spike missiles in the future, so they're the ones that can stop ships same as distortion cannons and EMPs. So launching them at 9 km is pretty threatening.

Except that yeah, missiles suck. CIG raised the shield strength and then raised the gun strength, but left the missiles all timid. Right now, I don't think you can take down a Lancer with 8 S3 missiles, which is crazy. That needs some balance. Still a good skill to hone though. Most fighters can't carry S3 missiles, so they have an upper hand. Even if all you're doing is knocking down a Hornet's shields as you close on him, that's worthwhile, IMHO.
Balance will come.

I wouldn't count on the top racks as being able to carry size 3 in the future. While I wouldn't complain if they did, it looks like those pop up "shoulder" mounts can only fit size 2.

Reactions: Shadow Reaper

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
My comment on which Vanguard has armor comes from Crewe in the all ships video.

In the PU currently, the Sentinel is faster than the Vanguard. In the PTU the Harbinger was slower. In the 3.6 PTU the Hoplite and Warden were the same. Which matches "everything about ships."

I carry courier boxes in the cabin. The "lock down" mechanic is not in game, yet.

Jet bikes are not in a condition to fit.
Oh, the speeds are based on running the same components. Running the stock stealrh components rhe Sentinel is slower than the Warden and Hoplite.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
My guess is even this above has changed since the Sentinel's EMP generator is in the place of the Harbinger's S5 torps.

But the point is, these older BUKs are not going to be offered by CIG, so if you want them you need to buy them somewhere like EBay?
The difference between the "BUK" and the Combination Kits they have become is that it is no longer a one click swap and nomenclature.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
So has anyone tried out ballistics in the Sentinel, tried putting a small reactor in to see if with shields down and big reactor off, it is especially more stealthy, etc?

Forgot your password?