Thoughts on the Valkyrie?

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
My plan is to hit the Verse with 4 ships and one or two ground vehicles. Probably a jetbike and a Cyclone (TR or base)

I currently am planning on Bounty Hunting, (Killjoy style, not Boba Fett for reference :) ).

For those with a Valkyrie, what are your thoughts on it?
Good ship?
Fun to fly?
What kind of range does it have?
What is a good comparison ship for maneuverability?

I was thinking, once AI blades are in game, the pilot could actually run 6 size 3 and 2 size 2 in a fully gimballed loadout. (Ouch!)
The plan would be more team play, but damn. LOL.

View: https://youtu.be/ST9OkLjTu9Q

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
Arent ships limited to one AI blade per computer (I forget the exact restrictions). I know from the comments the hammerhead couldn't use 6 ai blades for instance (I think it was 4 but heh things change its alpha). Sorry its been a while. The Valkyrie is a ground drop ship and that's its main function it is a medium size ship that looks nice. Its not got a great range currently the caterpillar is a better all round ship in that sort of cost range.

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
That's a tough ship to sell if your not going to have the people to fly it with. If you need to carry a land vehicle I would opt for something smaller and go for a ranger, dragonfly or a Nox you will have more options and less crew dependant. If you can find a crew to play with then ya the Valk is a great ship when properly manned as are others.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
My plan is to hit the Verse with 4 ships and one or two ground vehicles. Probably a jetbike and a Cyclone (TR or base)

I currently am planning on Bounty Hunting, (Killjoy style, not Boba Fett for reference :) ).

Good ship?
Fun to fly?

I was thinking, once AI blades are in game, the pilot could actually run 6 size 3 and 2 size 2 in a fully gimballed loadout. (Ouch!)

Not sure how effective the Valkyrie will be for bounty hunting given it lacks any sort of brig or containment for returning with the bounty unless you plan on always taking the dead option. The valkyrie is amazing for its intended role of bringing a squad with a fast attack vehicle into a ground combat zone and then provide overwatch. Say attacking a pirate base to free stolen goods or hostages. Or eliminating competition of a mining operation.

For now, the Hawk, and Cutlass Blue are purpose-built for bounty hunting and the Mantis would be a great support ship given its ability to Quantum Snare and Quantum dampening abilities.

Don't get me wrong I really like the Valkyrie and its ability to carry a sizable marine detachment and support land craft makes it a premiership for base raiding unless the base is heavily fortified and in need of a tonk to break it open. I am just not sure how effective it will be for bounty hunting or the mechanics involved if it requires a place to put the bounty.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Arent ships limited to one AI blade per computer (I forget the exact restrictions). I know from the comments the hammerhead couldn't use 6 ai blades for instance (I think it was 4 but heh things change its alpha). Sorry its been a while. The Valkyrie is a ground drop ship and that's its main function it is a medium size ship that looks nice. Its not got a great range currently the caterpillar is a better all round ship in that sort of cost range.
According to the Hammerhead Q&A a Medium computer can have 4 blades, each one controls one turret.

I am not interested in the Cat, it doesn't suit me at all.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
That's a tough ship to sell if your not going to have the people to fly it with. If you need to carry a land vehicle I would opt for something smaller and go for a ranger, dragonfly or a Nox you will have more options and less crew dependant. If you can find a crew to play with then ya the Valk is a great ship when properly manned as are others.
This is Test Squadron, isn't it?

I should have at least a partial crew without the Org. LOL.

Other than a Freelancer Max, what, in this size range carries a Cyclone or a Rover?

For smaller I have an Avenger. :)

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Not sure how effective the Valkyrie will be for bounty hunting given it lacks any sort of brig or containment for returning with the bounty unless you plan on always taking the dead option. The valkyrie is amazing for its intended role of bringing a squad with a fast attack vehicle into a ground combat zone and then provide overwatch. Say attacking a pirate base to free stolen goods or hostages. Or eliminating competition of a mining operation.

For now, the Hawk, and Cutlass Blue are purpose-built for bounty hunting and the Mantis would be a great support ship given its ability to Quantum Snare and Quantum dampening abilities.

Don't get me wrong I really like the Valkyrie and its ability to carry a sizable marine detachment and support land craft makes it a premiership for base raiding unless the base is heavily fortified and in need of a tonk to break it open. I am just not sure how effective it will be for bounty hunting or the mechanics involved if it requires a place to put the bounty.
I have an Avenger, so I have no need for the Hawk. My better half also has an Avenger. The Cutlass still doesn't impress me, I don't see it as a serious upgrade to the Avenger and the hints are that the range is limited.

Stasis modules should be available for my Retaliator, eventually.

Since you can lockdown a bounty in the back seat of a Super Hornet, cuffing them to a drop seat should be a simple enough thing. Stasis pods may work as cargo, we shall have to see.

If you have to bring a bunch of friends to raid a location to take a bounty, this or the Hoplite sound ideal. :)

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
I am looking for information on the Valkyrie. :)

Please, for those with a Valkyrie, what are your thoughts on it:
Good ship?
Fun to fly?

Sayora

Grand Admiral
Donor
Oct 23, 2018
RSI Handle
Sayora
The Valkyrie is fun to fly, but very expensive and very vulnerable without a crew to man those guns. Hopefully, we get some information on how computer blades and AI NPC's are going to work sometime soon. It only has 1 M computer which will limit the ability to blades somewhat.

It has the range of most medium ships, maneuverability is good for it's size.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
The Valkyrie is fun to fly, but very expensive and very vulnerable without a crew to man those guns. Hopefully, we get some information on how computer blades and AI NPC's are going to work sometime soon. It only has 1 M computer which will limit the ability to blades somewhat.

It has the range of most medium ships, maneuverability is good for it's size.
1 medium computer equals 4 blades.
The comment on slaving all 4 turrets to the pilot was just an observation, not an intended practise. :)
With all those guns there would be enough rounds flying to walk from the Valkyrie to the target. :)
Would you say accelleration and maneuverability is close to the Vanguard, Cutlass or Freelancer, or not that good?

Sayora

Grand Admiral
Donor
Oct 23, 2018
RSI Handle
Sayora
1 medium computer equals 4 blades.
The comment on slaving all 4 turrets to the pilot was just an observation, not an intended practise. :)
With all those guns there would be enough rounds flying to walk from the Valkyrie to the target. :)
Would you say accelleration and maneuverability is close to the Vanguard, Cutlass or Freelancer, or not that good?
More freelancer like, not quite as nice as a Cutlass, or Vanguard but not as bad as a Connie

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
I like flying the Valk, it’s fun in atmosphere and is good with friends. Try one of ours; just get in Discord, join a squadron, and ask for someone to spawn you one.
Thanks.

Reactions: GPcustoms

GPcustoms

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 3, 2019
RSI Handle
GPcustom
I rather like my Valk but as a solo ride its become my go to UPS truck more than anything. If and when I can or might be able to slave a turret I would be more inclined to expand its role. But it is a very fun ship to operate in IMHO :o7:

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
I rather like my Valk but as a solo ride its become my go to UPS truck more than anything. If and when I can or might be able to slave a turret I would be more inclined to expand its role. But it is a very fun ship to operate in IMHO :o7:
Thanks.

Reactions: GPcustoms

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan

Good ship?
Fun to fly?

The Valkyrie is a good ship if you have a good crew. For bounty hunting, it might not be the best one out there though. Couple of reason.

You as the pilot only have a couple of S2 weapons for firing. However, there are two big turrets, so the 3 correction, 5 crew max will give you a good amount of defense/offense. However, to fully utilize the ship, you will need 2 more people as well for the side gun turrets, but that is more for combat landings. Then there are the side gun turrets that you have to open the ship up to utilize, but that' 6 gun positions, plus the pilot...but only 3 beds. Yes, AI blades might work, but it's still a lot of blades that you might want elsewhere. There is also no place to put cells for a bounty hunter (realizing you are a killer, but you may want to capture at some point). EDIT - So if you have a full crew of 5, it won't be that bad, but you still need gunners.

As for the other stuff. Yes, it's a good ship for fighting in for a full crew. It's fun to fly, but that's really subjective. One thing to not is that it has VTOL and that makes a huge difference when in Atmo.

Range is good, but it guzzles fuel in Atmo, especially thick planetary atmorsphere

For comparison, think a connie.

Cutlass blue is a better choice. Upgrade your shields and it's pretty tanky. It carries 4xS2 gimbaled, or 4xS3 fixed weapons, plus 2xS3 guns in the turret. It has enough beds for all crew members, so it will be one of the best overall bounty hunting ships.

Last edited:

Esctasy

Admiral
Donor
Nov 28, 2018
RSI Handle
Esctasy
In my opinion,
The Valk is an ok ship. It maneuvers just like the MIS. Much better than the Connie, but worse than the Vanguard. I like the nice wide ramp. Here's the thing, it's design for ground support, but the Hercs do a better job at this imo. If you want to explore your horizon, I would take a serious look at the Corsair. It has more fire power than the Valk (without the need for blades), it's weapon are size 5 & 4 which gives you additional range advantage against more maneuverable ships. It probably has the same or slightly better maneuverability than the Valk judging from it's size and wings. You can put your cyclone in it. And it's $160 cheaper.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
The Valkyrie is a good ship if you have a good crew. For bounty hunting, it might not be the best one out there though. Couple of reason.

You as the pilot only have a couple of S2 weapons for firing. However, there are two big turrets, so the 3 crew max will give you a good amount of defense/offense. However, to fully utilize the ship, you will need 2 more people as well for the wing turrets. Then there are the side gun turrets that you have to open the ship up to utilize, but that' 6 gun positions, plus the pilot...but only 3 beds. Yes, AI blades might work, but it's still a lot of blades that you might want elsewhere. There is also no place to put cells for a bounty hunter (realizing you are a killer, but you may want to capture at some point).

As for the other stuff. Yes, it's a good ship for fighting in for a full crew. It's fun to fly, but that's really subjective. One thing to not is that it has VTOL and that makes a huge difference when in Atmo.

Range is good, but it guzzles fuel in Atmo, especially thick planetary atmorsphere

For comparison, think a drunk connie.

Cutlass blue is a better choice. Upgrade your shields and it's pretty tanky. It carries 4xS2 gimbaled, or 4xS3 fixed weapons, plus 2xS3 guns in the turret. It has enough beds for all crew members, so it will be one of the best overall bounty hunting ships.
It has 5 beds and a crew of 5. Door guns are for use by the Marines. (Makes sense since with 6 man squads, 20 doesn't quite make a platoon, but 22 does.)

I have no interest in a Cutlass Blue. It is not a serious upgrade from my Avenger. If you want a Serious bounty hunting ship, there is the Retaliator. (Already have one.) The only Drake craft I have any interest in is the Dragonfly, and only because you aren't supposed to be able to wear armor or carry a long arm on the Nox.

Forgot your password?