Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog Set Up help in 2.4

IronEagle

Lieutenant
Jul 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Iron3
Hello Testers,

I have an Hotas Warthog which i used to fly in DCS A10C.
In Star Citizens i tried to set it up but failed due the poor configuration Menu or i am maybe just too impatient or dumb. Resulting flying with Keyboard and Mouse.

Maybe someone already have a Configuration File for it to start quickly ?

Greez
Iron

DeepDrum

Captain
Jun 27, 2016
RSI Handle
DeepDrum
Start here Yes it is an old vid but it still applys mostly and what does not is even better. There have been some subtle changes since that vid maybe:

If you like the looks of these controls continue and read all this thread:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/180017/thrustmaster-warthog-hotas-advanced-functions-setup-poll#latest

Then check this out:

https://www.patreon.com/solarfly

Then when you understand it all go here and get the best profile made for Star CItizen IMHO Free btw.

http://3dpipeline.net./

I never met the guy. I have nothing to do with it at all but once you get how to install it, you'll be quite happy.
The RSI forums thread above is great for answering questions on the hotas setup of his.
He is a great guy and does great work and himself and the org he is in has been mentioned by RSI as the Hotas experts.
I belonged to that great org before coming here. I simply wanted mroe company in the daytime. Test is great.

I run DCS World as well and I have to say that at first not having roll on the stick is a bit wierd for those of us coming from a gravity and atmosphere envirtonment. There is very little need to roll in a dogfight to orient yourself in zero g.
I fought it for a long time before I caved in and tried that profile.
In the profile one switch can put roll on the stick if need be which may come in handy when we get access to planets/gravity/atmosphere and lift.
I must have watched his vid 30 times now on a side machine while learning the controls.
They are the best I have run across.

The target scripting tool can allow for so much more than simply setting controls via the game.

Some of the instructions given are a bit hard to follow if you haven't been following his work for a while.

It also supports pedals and MFD.

If you are thinking VR in the future, you'll need to get off the keyboard. This is the way.

Read and view every word in those links above carefully.

If you jump in without checking every inch of those links, you will hit a brick wall.

I can answer some simple questions on how to install and activate it in SC but I am not the expert. He is.

The target scripting tool allows for things like hold for 1/3 second to do this., hold for 1/2 second to do that, tap, double tap, triple tap, modifiers. Bypassing those possibilities may find me on your six and you going up in flames ;)

Never forget to back up your profiles found in the Program files\cloud imperium games\star citizen\public\USER\controls\mappings to another place since th euser folder gets trashed every update. Just copy them back when that happens.
Check for new profiles regularly as well.

Always back up your USER folder regularly. I keep a number of profiles in a seperate place and always come back to his profile since I have found nothing else compares.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Bypassing those possibilities may find me on your six and you going up in flames ;)
I challenge you on that one :D
I like the simple approach: all essential axis and functions under one direct control. Strafe up/down/left/right under left index finger hat switch strafe forward/back not used because the hat only has 4 directions. What I almost never see: targeting under richt thumb hat, very important while fighting in a flock of targets. It disturbs my flying and aiming allot when I must switch my thumb from the grip during combat. Missiles and shield force me to switch.
What I liked allot was the possibility to switch firegroups with one button. I don't think that this is possible with the standard SC controls. Also the boost / afterburner on the throttle was very interesting. I searched for a possibility to map them under different buttons, not hold for boost, double click for afterburner, that annoys me because often I don't hit the afterburner and just stay in boost.

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
Start here Yes it is an old vid but it still applys mostly and what does not is even better. There have been some subtle changes since that vid maybe:

If you like the looks of these controls continue and read all this thread:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/180017/thrustmaster-warthog-hotas-advanced-functions-setup-poll#latest

Then check this out:

https://www.patreon.com/solarfly

Then when you understand it all go here and get the best profile made for Star CItizen IMHO Free btw.

http://3dpipeline.net./

I never met the guy. I have nothing to do with it at all but once you get how to install it, you'll be quite happy.
The RSI forums thread above is great for answering questions on the hotas setup of his.
He is a great guy and does great work and himself and the org he is in has been mentioned by RSI as the Hotas experts.
I belonged to that great org before coming here. I simply wanted mroe company in the daytime. Test is great.

I run DCS World as well and I have to say that at first not having roll on the stick is a bit wierd for those of us coming from a gravity and atmosphere envirtonment. There is very little need to roll in a dogfight to orient yourself in zero g.
I fought it for a long time before I caved in and tried that profile.
In the profile one switch can put roll on the stick if need be which may come in handy when we get access to planets/gravity/atmosphere and lift.
I must have watched his vid 30 times now on a side machine while learning the controls.
They are the best I have run across.

The target scripting tool can allow for so much more than simply setting controls via the game.

Some of the instructions given are a bit hard to follow if you haven't been following his work for a while.

It also supports pedals and MFD.

If you are thinking VR in the future, you'll need to get off the keyboard. This is the way.

Read and view every word in those links above carefully.

If you jump in without checking every inch of those links, you will hit a brick wall.

I can answer some simple questions on how to install and activate it in SC but I am not the expert. He is.

The target scripting tool allows for things like hold for 1/3 second to do this., hold for 1/2 second to do that, tap, double tap, triple tap, modifiers. Bypassing those possibilities may find me on your six and you going up in flames ;)

Never forget to back up your profiles found in the Program files\cloud imperium games\star citizen\public\USER\controls\mappings to another place since th euser folder gets trashed every update. Just copy them back when that happens.
Check for new profiles regularly as well.

Always back up your USER folder regularly. I keep a number of profiles in a seperate place and always come back to his profile since I have found nothing else compares.
Is there anything like this for the X56 Rhino setup?

Ripcord33

Grand Admiral
May 2, 2016
RSI Handle
Ripcord03
I doubt it, but a google search might not hurt, that profile is done using the long standing TM T.A.R.G.E.T script software, it probably took him around 100 hours to get the first public version working to satisfaction, i know the first target script i wrote for DCS took forever, granted i dont really use it that often and haven't bothered getting too deep into its capabilities, but it really is decent software if you have the time and patients to work with it.

Reactions: Printimus

DeepDrum

Captain
Jun 27, 2016
RSI Handle
DeepDrum
Ok marc. The next time I see you with criminal status, it's on. I only have pea shooters but hey, just for fun. I like it simple too but without a script it lacks a bit once one compares.
One thing I don't like is having to reach around the throttle to hit the Eng Op Left switch to change views. If the throttle is halfway, it's hard to hit it. Minor detail. I wouldn't change a thing.
I quite successfully used my Logitech 3d pro for a while as well.

I am not aware of X56 Rhino stuff.
The Target scripting software used on what I mentioned and the Target GUI is directly from Thrustmaster so that certainly won't work with the saiteks.
That's not to say something is not possible. It's beyond me though.

Thrustmaster and Star Citizen both have ever expanding profiles for controllers for Star Citizen as well but they are lacking alot at present.

Noone hates running scripts and mods more than myself but in this case, the best is the best and that is definitely only my opinion and well, many others.
One can do with a lot less if one wants to use the keyboard alot. I still do while learning every nuance.

Maxgerber5250

Grand Admiral
Apr 2, 2015
RSI Handle
Capt-Spicer
I have the Saitek X-65F . had it working for basic flight, and added stuff as I go.
so I added Voice attack, mapping voice commands and that was working great as well. Sooooooo
then I added ED Tracker. yep now nothing is working. I`m so sad now.............

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
The next time I see you with criminal status
Good luck with the criminal status ;)

Thrustmaster and Star Citizen both have ever expanding profiles for controllers for Star Citizen as well but they are lacking alot at present.
I loaded that briefly, disliked it, couldn't find my required keybindings, erased it and started over from scrap

IronEagle

Lieutenant
Jul 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Iron3
Also i got the Solarfly script now but if i run it in Target i get the following error code.

Running script: D:\Users\Fabi\Desktop\Solarfly_Warthog_StarCitizen_2_4_0_6\2.4\StarCitizen_Solarfly_v2.4.tmc
Mapped plugin module "C:\Program Files (x86)\Thrustmaster\TARGET\Plugins\sys.dll"
Compile Succeeded.
Script stopped!

Runtime Error: Symbol not found: TFRPRudder in main ( line 29 in StarCitizen_Solarfly_v2.4.tmc )

DeepDrum

Captain
Jun 27, 2016
RSI Handle
DeepDrum
Do you have rudders? Did you make changes to the pilot file and save it? Did you compile the .tmc file?

Open it as admin so it can write to your disc (I found). I also run Target GUI as Admin so it can make changes as well.
The information on it is all over the place and requires reading those posts I linked to. There are a lot of place one can go wrong and the instructions are not perfectly clear and make some assumptions that we know stuff we don't.

Depending on the pedal and type there may be different stk files applicable to load as well.
I already have macros on my keyboard to load the pedals I have on order.

I keep thinking I should make a how to video but I don't want to step on Solarfly's toes and I don't know near as much as him.
I may anyway....check back in 10 hours. It takes forever for me to upload to youtube.
I'll make it priority 1 after breakfast here.

IronEagle

Lieutenant
Jul 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Iron3
I found my mistake,
i was using an outdated version of Target GUI.
my Version had something with V1
the newest something with V3

Reactions: marcsand2

DeepDrum

Captain
Jun 27, 2016
RSI Handle
DeepDrum
Cool iron eagle. That's good to hear. I had tons of problems getting it done originally after I connected a non win 10 supported cam and then took it back off. Cortana actually kept loading the drivers for it even though it was uninstalled and that messed up my original usb connection since she took it over. Big important thing for win 10. Make sure the device has win 10 drivers for usb devices. Win 10 is different for usb.

Anyway for others who want to get that profile running. Here is how I do it. I am not sure if this is the best way but it works very well for me. But really check out all those links in my other post in this thread. Do what makes YOU happy always.

Anyway. Here is how to rock it quickly.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Nice vid, only one remark, it doesn't matter in which USB port you plug the devices, the order in which you plug them in matters. I found one routine working all the time: plug in flight stick, reboot, plug in throttle, reboot, plug in the rudder, reboot and ready to go. If you start SC, test one control, plug in another then Windows recognizes the control but SC doesn't until after reboot.

Reactions: DeepDrum

Ripcord33

Grand Admiral
May 2, 2016
RSI Handle
Ripcord03
Nice vid, only one remark, it doesn't matter in which USB port you plug the devices, the order in which you plug them in matters. I found one routine working all the time: plug in flight stick, reboot, plug in throttle, reboot, plug in the rudder, reboot and ready to go. If you start SC, test one control, plug in another then Windows recognizes the control but SC doesn't until after reboot.
That is true, and also false, with the thrustmaster target software, it doesnt matter what order or port they are plugged into, it automatically finds the port and links the throttle and stick, and any other TM devices hooked up and called in your script, as one virtual device. Then its just a matter of making sure that star citizen is run after starting the script and that the control layout for SC has the right controller number.

See spoiler for explanation
Code:
Physical USB HID devices managed by script!
Currently plugged USB HID devices[2]:
1: "Throttle - HOTAS Warthog" - "USB\VID_044F&PID_0404&REV_0100"
2: "Joystick - HOTAS Warthog" - "USB\VID_044F&PID_0402&REV_0100"
USB HID device "Throttle - HOTAS Warthog"(USB\VID_044F&PID_0404\5&DC4A972&0&13) selected
USB HID device "Joystick - HOTAS Warthog"(USB\VID_044F&PID_0402\5&DC4A972&0&8) selected
USB HID device with hardware id "VID_044F&PID_B10A" cannot be found
USB HID device with hardware id "VID_044F&PID_B687" cannot be found
Virtual HID devices managed by script!
Connecting virtual joystick...Done
Device name set to Thrustmaster Combined
Connecting virtual keyboard...Done
Connecting virtual mouse (absolute axes)...Done
As you can see, if finds all USB HID Devices then selects them if they are in the script, now i actually have a set of TFRP pedals incoming to test and review, however you will notice my MFG Crosswinds are not called into the TM Script, this is because they cant be called using target software as its a thrustmaster program, if you use solarflys setup, with any pedals but the tfrp, there is a second SC xml needed to import the rudder controls, or you need to add them manually to the xml profile for SC (Can be done in-game as far as im aware). However this is where controller port numbers become important, and you have to know what order your pedals load in.

I have found that with my stick and throttle both plugged in all the time, it will still occasionally switch the load order, but still generally lists them as 1 and 2 with the stick being 1 90% of the time. And with solarfly's script, as long as one of the 2 devices is #1 when the script is run windows will generally detect the virtual device as #1.

Either way, i went from a custom profile to solarfly's yesterday just to test and i had no problems other than having to update my target software. Didn't even need to reboot, loaded up the profile in target and star citizen and it worked.

Last edited:
Forgot your password?