Valheim on steam

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Just curious, has anyone tried the game Valheim [VALHEIM (valheimgame.com) ]? If not, it's a game on steam that was released recently and I was wondering if it was worthwhile or not.
Watched a stream of it yesterday, seems like a good title for 20 bucks or so, but I wouldn't spend more. It's still a bit early in development.
It depends on what you are looking for really, could be a decent game.
It's probably more fun in co-op (stream was solo), it's not pvp oriented so if you are looking for that, look elsewhere.
Combat seemed a bit floaty and primitive still, but building and gathering stuff works, and the graphics are nice. Looked like more of a chill title, Not your usual frantic survival trashing around for food every 30seconds.
Best thing about it is that there is direction and story, not hand holding too much, but you are not just dropped into a world without any goals like in other similar titles. It's a big plus imo.

vod is here if you wanna watch some gameplay, just be warned that the streamer is kind of an... acquired taste lul

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Well, watching the streams led me to actually pay the 17 euros for the game, and I gotta say, after 2-3 hours, I think it was well worth it!
Controls need some getting used to, but the way the game works is straight forward, and with the story/goals there is actually something to work towards.

My feeling so far, is that this game is more like Subnautica than Conan exiles or minecraft. Maybe not as much story and survival driven as Sub, but I feel like it has more freedom (or at least it's easier) to construct the things you want, and make interesting stuff. It doesn't seem to have the depth of a builder game like minecraft, so don't expect that either, but it's at a level I'm okay with. It is a chill game, you are not constantly harassed by enemies or struggle to survive due to hunger.

There are some fun mechanics, like suffocating from smoke inside the house if you install a fireplace without any vents, being cold, having to eat (to buff your health), more tougher enemies at night... you know, the usual stuff, but nothing is too distracting so far.
Crafting/Progression requires and thus promotes exploration because you can only gain new "recipes" by bumping into new stuff or crafting prerequisite items that may need rarer materials (or by beating the new stuff to death ofc).
Skills grow with usage, so the more you run, swim, axe trees, and hammer stuff, the higher those skills get.
Upon death you do lose some skill progression though, so there is an incentive to stay alive other than it just being an inconvenience of a corpse run.

All in all, I'm looking forward to getting into it more!

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
A little off topic, but there are times when Testies get into a game while it's early in development and it usually ends up in people dropping off.

Anyone remember Conan Exiles? Was near unplayable when it came out. Kinda wish I knew of some populated games played by Testies to get in on without having to jump around and buy a new game every time the newness wears off.

• o7
Reactions: Lorddarthvik

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
Watched a stream of it yesterday, seems like a good title for 20 bucks or so, but I wouldn't spend more. It's still a bit early in development.
It depends on what you are looking for really, could be a decent game.
It's probably more fun in co-op (stream was solo), it's not pvp oriented so if you are looking for that, look elsewhere.
Combat seemed a bit floaty and primitive still, but building and gathering stuff works, and the graphics are nice. Looked like more of a chill title, Not your usual frantic survival trashing around for food every 30seconds.
Best thing about it is that there is direction and story, not hand holding too much, but you are not just dropped into a world without any goals like in other similar titles. It's a big plus imo.

vod is here if you wanna watch some gameplay, just be warned that the streamer is kind of an... acquired taste lul
everything is "Early release" on steam....

Reactions: Radegast74

Harkonan

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Harkypoo
Yeah ... this game has been pretty fun. I've sunken so much time just in the base building. lol

Attached Ship Dock
val.png

Throne Room/Mess Hall
val2.png

Massive Bridge (Allows even the largest ship to travel through)
val3.png

Bridge Patio
val4.png

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Yeah ... this game has been pretty fun. I've sunken so much time just in the base building. lol

Attached Ship Dock
View attachment 20303

Throne Room/Mess Hall
View attachment 20304

Massive Bridge (Allows even the largest ship to travel through)
View attachment 20305

Bridge Patio
View attachment 20306
That's really nicely built, impressive!
I only got a shack that occasionally gets smoked out cos of a slightly misaligned fireplace lol
Defeated the first boss, had no time to play as I wanted to catch xenotheat event. Long way to go for me...

Reactions: Harkonan

Doggen

Space Marshal
Dec 9, 2015
RSI Handle
Doggen
I bought this with some real life friends. Other than a starting tips videos we all went in blank and boy was it a blast! We managed to do some pretty epic stuff, enjoying it a lot.

Reactions: Lorddarthvik
Forgot your password?