Virpil Base Decision. Go for Gold or save the $$?

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
I only used the WarBRD base. It is brilliant. Back draw of the WarBRD is that it doesn't support extensions. It is a good table top or chair mounted base. It has extended deflection, but for extensions it isn't meant. My experience with the WarBRD vs the Warthog base was that the first weeks I was oscillating with fine movement. I had to get used to the fine and smooth movement compared to the WH Base, which I modified with modified counter springs to move as light and smooth as possible.
My recommendation: how do you intend to mount the bases? Centerstick with extension or table / chair mounted, without extension?

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
I still have a Thrustmaster F/A-18C Hornet stick which isn't suitable for my side console setup. It doesn't has the hand palm rest, so it only is suitable as a center stick. I tried to use it as center stick with my original WH base, but naah, the base is not good enough. I must modify my chair to support a center stick and get a much better base with extension. Not the WarBRD 😁

Drykhan

Captain
Donor
Apr 29, 2019
RSI Handle
DryKhan
I still have a Thrustmaster F/A-18C Hornet stick which isn't suitable for my side console setup. It doesn't has the hand palm rest, so it only is suitable as a center stick. I tried to use it as center stick with my original WH base, but naah, the base is not good enough. I must modify my chair to support a center stick and get a much better base with extension. Not the WarBRD 😁
so reviewing Snake eaters review on the VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base its great for extenshions. im not sure if ill use one mable to get a liitle more precise control but that base is compatible with the trustmaster warthog grip (no i dont have it) but i was thinking go for the Gold so i have the options if i decide to change it.

Drykhan

Captain
Donor
Apr 29, 2019
RSI Handle
DryKhan
I only used the WarBRD base. It is brilliant. Back draw of the WarBRD is that it doesn't support extensions. It is a good table top or chair mounted base. It has extended deflection, but for extensions it isn't meant. My experience with the WarBRD vs the Warthog base was that the first weeks I was oscillating with fine movement. I had to get used to the fine and smooth movement compared to the WH Base, which I modified with modified counter springs to move as light and smooth as possible.
My recommendation: how do you intend to mount the bases? Centerstick with extension or table / chair mounted, without extension?
well i plan to dual stick so yea gone have it arm side on both.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
well i plan to dual stick so yea gone have it arm side on both.
A center stick would mean triple sticks, I won't remove the side sticks 🤣
But the WH base on the chair between my legs wasn't comfortable, besides the issue that without extension the rotation was software rotation, which wasn't OK with the WH. It had too much distortion, it actually was really crap.

Drykhan

Captain
Donor
Apr 29, 2019
RSI Handle
DryKhan
A center stick would mean triple sticks, I won't remove the side sticks 🤣
But the WH base on the chair between my legs wasn't comfortable, besides the issue that without extension the rotation was software rotation, which wasn't OK with the WH. It had too much distortion, it actually was really crap.
but is that nore more on the grip not the base? the alphas will have rotation that can be locked. but ide probably use it. no i dont think ill use a center sitk at all. having way too mutch fun with the dual T16000m's but i hate that they don't last. i wasnt lasting equipment.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
but is that nore more on the grip not the base? the alphas will have rotation that can be locked. but ide probably use it. no i dont think ill use a center sitk at all. having way too mutch fun with the dual T16000m's but i hate that they don't last. i wasnt lasting equipment.
A center stick is rotated itself. The Warthog grips don't have twist, which is perfect. More precise, no 3rd axis to handle while flying.
Imagine, sit down, hold your arm parallel to your body. That is the side stick position. The stick is at a 90 degree angle with your body, or even slightly rotated outwards.
Now hold your hand between your legs, where the center stick would be. If the center stick is pointing forward, you must twist your hand awkward outwards to hold the grip, so you rotate the grip 10 - 15 degrees counter clockwise.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U25E-DLDs7w

Drykhan

Captain
Donor
Apr 29, 2019
RSI Handle
DryKhan
A center stick is rotated itself. The Warthog grips don't have twist, which is perfect. More precise, no 3rd axis to handle while flying.
Imagine, sit down, hold your arm parallel to your body. That is the side stick position. The stick is at a 90 degree angle with your body, or even slightly rotated outwards.
Now hold your hand between your legs, where the center stick would be. If the center stick is pointing forward, you must twist your hand awkward outwards to hold the grip, so you rotate the grip 10 - 15 degrees counter clockwise.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U25E-DLDs7w
ok i see your point but i dual stick and prefer it. i don't relay have room to make a cockpit nor room to have the peddles to use as rotation or yaw. with the 16000's using the Z axis for up down and rotation never bothered me. but i might get a slight extension to have a little more precision.

Drykhan

Captain
Donor
Apr 29, 2019
RSI Handle
DryKhan
Get a WarBRD unless you're using extensions. The CM has less throw and is internally stiffer. You can change out springs in the WarBRD to make it stiffer.
note the CM2 also has springs you can change out and yes i may use a slight extension to provide a bit more prishion

Reactions: marcsand2

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
I went all in last year on a set of dual Constellation Delta's, WarBRD bases, and a T-50 Throttle (to cover different sims). At some point I might experiment with a short extension, but feel absolutely no need.

Right stick is pitch/yaw/roll, running the centerless cams with the stock springs. Precision for aiming is superb.
Left stick is strafes/fore/aft, running the avsim centering cam with stock springs. Makes everything easy.

They supply stiffer optional springs, which I'd use if any extensions were involved. Right now, the feel is limited much more by the game engine than the peripherals.

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
Food for thought: Here is the proof-of-concept run on the custom mounts for my Virpil Setup. Pretty damn solid and I can quick swap them out for FPS. At the end of the day, you can really make anything work well with a little ingenuity. Only variable is how much cash you want to sink into tinkering with it.
IMG_0959.jpg

IMG_0960.jpg

IMG_0961.jpg

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
So I plan on getting the Virpil Constellation Alpha Grips when they are released
But im still up in the air about the Bases
It’s a total toss up to just spend the $$ on the VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base or save the $$ and get the VPC WarBRD Base
Has any one tried both and if so what is your recommendation?
Go for cheap, have more money for beer. Simple.

Drykhan

Captain
Donor
Apr 29, 2019
RSI Handle
DryKhan
Go for cheap, have more money for beer. Simple.
yea looking at it i save 300 but wanted the easy adjust but i think that once i like it its going stay that way. unless i need to replace a warn spring or cam. i to plan on grabing the Virple desk mounts but if im getting the Warbrd's then i dont think i need the long desk mount. dose any one have th virpil deskmounts?

Reactions: Lorddarthvik

c0sign

Commander
Donor
May 1, 2020
RSI Handle
c0sign
So did you end up getting them....i regular the Virpil forums too, lol.....or have you got fed up with the ordering process like 80% of the people and moved on to something else.....im almost full virpil. I have the T-50CM2 throttle and Bases, Ace-2 Rudders, Left Alpha Grip, and Waiting on the Right. I had the Right one in the basket, but my bank cock blocked me with the "must verify transaction" even though I've ordered from them must be 10 times now, 20 min to verify and they were already sold out.....

Drykhan

Captain
Donor
Apr 29, 2019
RSI Handle
DryKhan
So did you end up getting them....i regular the Virpil forums too, lol.....or have you got fed up with the ordering process like 80% of the people and moved on to something else.....im almost full virpil. I have the T-50CM2 throttle and Bases, Ace-2 Rudders, Left Alpha Grip, and Waiting on the Right. I had the Right one in the basket, but my bank cock blocked me with the "must verify transaction" even though I've ordered from them must be 10 times now, 20 min to verify and they were already sold out.....
havent gotten them yet but i may wait for a cupple of months spent a bit more the i should have

• o7
Reactions: c0sign
Forgot your password?