What do you look for in SC spaceships these days?

Chip Hazzard

Space Marshal
Jan 1, 2018
RSI Handle
ChipHazzard
For me, I am looking for something that is more solo than full multicrew, and that you could live on. So something like the Mercury and the Corsair are my favourite looking ships so far. Cool interiors, should be able to solo effectively, cargo room, some guns, scanners and not pigeonholed into doing just one thing.

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
I have an EMS as well, and several CCUs. It is one of my favorites and I will start the game with one unless CIG sell ships I like more. (Maybe this Citizencon will come with one of those...)
Yeah CitCon is going to be interesting this year 🍻

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I'd add a 3rd guiding light and that is interior design
Yes
It needs to have variety, livability, and function all inside
Hell Yes
For me, I am looking for something that is more solo than full multicrew, and that you could live on. So something like the Mercury and the Corsair are my favourite looking ships so far. Cool interiors, should be able to solo effectively, cargo room, some guns, scanners and not pigeonholed into doing just one thing.
Fuck YES
Does it look fun? That's the only question I need answered.
OMG FUCK YESSSSSSssssssSSSSSSsssss

Ok, so yeahhhhh......
1) Utility / Versatility - I hate one trick ponies. Yes, I know, group play, yada yada, but I personally want a ship that I can leave base in and fly multiply different types of missions. I hate the idea of having to constantly change my ship. Yes, I will have specialized roles, but for my mainstays, versatility and utility.
2) Does it fit what I want to do? - If it's not something I see myself doing, then why do I need it? Of course, once mechanics are implemented, all things are subject to change, but for me, I have no interest in large cargo runs or mining. So yeah, that saves me a few bucks.
3) Interior. OMG! So yeah, the DUR can be the best small/mid-sized explorer in the game. Cool. The interior is so fuckng boring I can't stand it. The MIS may be the missile meta right now. Boring! Same with the Connie. I just find it uninspiring. As @Chip Hazzard stated above, it has to be something I could live on. If I can't see myself spending time in the ship, hanging out there, then I don't want it. That's why the Merc, Vulcan, and Corsair are such beauties to me. They feel REAL, like you could call them home. I'd go batshit crazy if I had to spend more then a couple hours in a Freelancer. And I used to fucking love the lancer.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Yes
Hell Yes
Fuck YES
OMG FUCK YESSSSSSssssssSSSSSSsssss
Did @Blind Owl just have an orgasm... ?

3) Interior. OMG! So yeah, the DUR can be the best small/mid-sized explorer in the game. Cool. The interior is so fuckng boring I can't stand it. The MIS may be the missile meta right now. Boring! Same with the Connie. I just find it uninspiring. As @Chip Hazzard stated above, it has to be something I could live on. If I can't see myself spending time in the ship, hanging out there, then I don't want it. That's why the Merc, Vulcan, and Corsair are such beauties to me. They feel REAL, like you could call them home. I'd go batshit crazy if I had to spend more then a couple hours in a Freelancer. And I used to fucking love the lancer.
A lot of ship designs in SC are weird, the Freelancer is a strong candidate for a WTF design. I know it has history but it is a boring place to spend a lot of time with friends because there's nothing to do but play with the exit door where your other friend is sleeping. That'll teach him! But I have the DUR and the Max. To me, they're for utility and function not enjoyment. YMMV.

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
'Lancers - cargo capacity, tank, speediest ships for traversing a system

the beauty is in the utility
Not that I'm doubting the utility of the Freelancer line, but I would be remiss if I did not point out the Mercury has more cargo space than the Freelancer (sans MAX) while also being faster and objectively superior in the looks department.

I mean it's also double the price, considerably bigger, and doesn't moonlight as a light gunship like the Freelancer does but it's got style.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
'Lancers - cargo capacity, tank, speediest ships for traversing a system

the beauty is in the utility
I completely agree. She is literally the perfect ship in those respects.

But she's boring as fuck inside. And I'm shallow when it comes to ships, haha.
Not that I'm doubting the utility of the Freelancer line, but I would be remiss if I did not point out the Mercury has more cargo space than the Freelancer (sans MAX) while also being faster and objectively superior in the looks department.

I mean it's also double the price, considerably bigger, and doesn't moonlight as a light gunship like the Freelancer does but it's got style.
Yup.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
You're a better man than I, good sir. If she's not beautiful inside, then I have no time for her, no matter the usefulness.
Well no, I'm not better, just afraid of boredom. The ships I like the most are... far prettier, and they have bigger... engines... They're also not in the game yet so. whatever that says about MY taste. Big wings and hard to get?

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
Yeah, I do worry a bit about the Mercury's self defense capability. 2 pilot controlled S2 gimbals and a pair of 2xS2 turrets isnt a huge amount. The missiles are also uh....yeah. oh boy, TWO whole S2 missiles! Yeehaw

Obviously the Mercury isnt a combat ship and shouldn't be swatting fighters out of the sky, but I do think it should be faster than her current slated speed in between the Cutlass and Freelancer. Maybe a bit lower on the emissions by default too?

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
I'm looking for a ship that could work for a "jack of all trade": I'm not willing to commit to a single activity full time, so I need something that can do cargo, work as a drop ship for a small infiltration squad, have some firepower for keep at bay the avarage pirate and so on... And it has to looks good and not like a bunch of components keep toghter with glue and ductape...

Actually I'm loooking to the Starrunner: sleeek design, good cargo capacity, enought firepower to deal with small pirate ship and doing some bounty huting, a good interior design where you can relax and spend some chilling time, and the adding bnonus of the data scanner that open up an extra gameplay capability. And let's be honest: how coool is the Starrunner with the Advocacy skin.....

Forgot your password?