What the heck!? Chris is making a killing

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Well I've anticipated this Expo is always a great moneymaking for SC and this year we have 3 new ship: the Nomads that is a good allround starter ship, far better then the others, the MSR that is the most anticipated ship since two year and a corvette class vessel that sport big gunz... plus Javelin, Idris, Kraken on so on selling...

On Montoja's video I've comment that CIG will probably pass the 70mil found this year during the expo, I think I'll not lend that far in my guess.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
The more the game looks like it's working and is fun, the more money comes in. I think this is the tipping point and maybe next year also, when the game is at a stage that ppl who wouldn't commit before, are now seeing the potential and want to be part of it. I think this will slow down in the coming 2-3 years to previous levels as less and less ppl will want to buy-in to the game as they already did just now.

Edit: as for what CR is doing with the extra cash? If he is smart, he is ordering more concept ships to be made so he can get even more extra cash! But I suspect he is just buying a few more yachts for friends and family lul

Firebrand

Captain
Oct 13, 2020
RSI Handle
Qallus
Well a new studio has just been opened as previously mentioned. I think there have been a lot of complications, delays and bottle necks in development, but once they clear some big hurdles, we'll see real progress. Once the constipation has cleared, the rest will follow through thick and fast, lol.

Reactions: Blind Owl

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
what we really need is an entire studio devoted to server meshing and the other yet-t-be-solved backend issues
Well yes, but in the meantime that's no reason to stop delveloping further the system and mechanics that already work, also planet and system still have a lots of aspect missing: vegetation, water flow, streets, different outpost that are not just a bunch of pre-fabbricated pod with some landing pad and so on...
Developing them now means that once the server meshing and all the other backend issue are solved new system will flow out like beer at the Oktberfest.

Reactions: Blind Owl

Sky Captain

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 13, 2018
RSI Handle
TheSkyCaptain
I really dont get the recent revenue numbers in the chart posted above.

I mean, come on, Covid wipes out the globe and Chris releases practically no notable new ships this year, and revenue .... nearly doubles? Up $35M? After being flat for years?

Such numbers require either existing backers (who already have a ton of ships) suddenly doubling their spending, or CIG attracting another times as many backers as they already had.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza

I mean, come on, Covid wipes out the globe and Chris releases practically no notable new ships this year, and revenue .... nearly doubles? Up $35M? After being flat for years?

Such numbers require either existing backers (who already have a ton of ships) suddenly doubling their spending, or CIG attracting another times as many backers as they already had.
What you didn't hear its all a ponzi scheme and money laundry for the cartels and china.

Esctasy

Admiral
Donor
Nov 28, 2018
RSI Handle
Esctasy

The Invictus event helped a lot this year. Other than that I can only assume we have more citizens this year.

Edit:
Oh also here in Canada, people have too much cash from the lockdown (probably the same in other countries as well). They spend less going out so they have more funds for games? I don't know :p

Article

Last edited:

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca

I'd like to add that people stay more inside. Spend less on travel and flight therefore having more money to shove into that project. So long term backers might have shoved more money into cig. And casual players might have stepped up their game.

Without official stats on that we can only assume.

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino

Well if you look at the citizen numbers you'll notice that the grow is substantial: I0ve the 2M epoc society becouse I've pledged, in 2016, within the first 2 milion, now we are at the edge of the 3Mil.
If you consider the time frame the pladge grow is clearly acending... what is yet to be see is how many backer are actually plaiyng and how long they'll do that: they play regualrly or just jump in to a sneakpick at the release of a new patch? They'll drop SC after some year of not being compleate or persist untill the end and further?
It's nice to see the cash flow and the backer number increase, but it'll be interesting to see how the "active player count" is moving, both in the short and long time frame.

Forgot your password?