What to do with my Gladius?

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
My current fleet is an Avenger Titan, which will likely become a Stalker or have prisoner pods, a Gladius, a Vanguard Sentinel with a Warden BUK, and a Retaliator (base with a base to andro ccu and Andro to bomber ccu that I am sitting on.) (And a Nox.)

I bought the Gladius because I want to get good with it for Squadron 42, and it looks great. :) Long term, though, I don't see much overall use for a Carrier fighter for a Bounty Hunter.

I really hate the Cutlass, so the Blue is out. :)

The Hawk feels like a downgrade.

What else should I consider?

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
If you don't want the Gladius, don't want the hawk, or Cutlass Blue, there is not much more for a bounty hunter.

Have you thought of a secondary specialization?
The Hawk compared to the Avenger feels like a downgrade.
The Cutlass doesn't even feel spaceworthy to me. There is supposed to be a BH module for the Tali.

I am hoping for either something new, mid range, or waiting to see if anything else can carry stasis pods. The Mercury is interesting. The other thing I have to consider is transporting modules. What can my BUK and (eventual) Tali modules fit in? :)

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
Yeah, I thought about that, but the mechanics seem a bit iffy.
The mechanics are:
pick a spot.
Charge your system
wait
wait
wait
wait
Interdict something...it will kill you
Run
pick a new spot
Wait for system to cool down
charge system
wait
wait
wait.

It's a whole lot of waiting.

If you thought quantum travel was boring, this will be worse.

Edit: oh, and if you did pull that cat out of quantum? guess what, your weapons won't even dent it.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
The mechanics are:
pick a spot.
Charge your system
wait
wait
wait
wait
Interdict something...it will kill you
Run
pick a new spot
Wait for system to cool down
charge system
wait
wait
wait.

It's a whole lot of waiting.

If you thought quantum travel was boring, this will be worse.

Edit: oh, and if you did pull that cat out of quantum? guess what, your weapons won't even dent it.
Pulling randoms out of Quantum is not really "Bounty Hunting." It isn't even sane piracy.

For bounties, the key is to keep them from escaping to Quantum. Though a good EMP charge should accomplish the same goal.

Carlos Spicyweiner

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 14, 2015
RSI Handle
DMGunslinger
Yeah, I thought about that, but the mechanics seem a bit iffy.
I just got a Mantis for my bounty hunter. It is probably as useful as man boobs(for now), in fact, that is what I named the ship. I anticipate the mechanic to evolve though, in fact I am fine tuning my tactics now. Assuming a tracking system that can track a bounty through it's transit, I would position a bounty force of various ships in a strategic location, pull the dirt bag out of Q, run away like a small scared child in the Man Boob, and leave the bounty to the rest of the team(the majority of which would be armed with distortion weapons, dependent upon the terms of the bounty, of course. If I can kill 'em, I will!)

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
I just got a Mantis for my bounty hunter. It is probably as useful as man boobs(for now), in fact, that is what I named the ship. I anticipate the mechanic to evolve though, in fact I am fine tuning my tactics now. Assuming a tracking system that can track a bounty through it's transit, I would position a bounty force of various ships in a strategic location, pull the dirt bag out of Q, run away like a small scared child in the Man Boob, and leave the bounty to the rest of the team(the majority of which would be armed with distortion weapons, dependent upon the terms of the bounty, of course. If I can kill 'em, I will!)
I still rather take them on the ground. Why risk my multi-million credit ship?

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
If you want to try out the hawk and get a solid opinion about it I got one you can borrow when ever you want.
It is really good once you figure it out and it is fast and hard to hit cause it's small.
So don't let the hawk size fool you it is quiet competent ;) And you do have a cell/ sort of bed in it.

CHEERS!

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Given your stated goals, I would want a Hoplite, a Sentinel BUK, and all the toys to outfit either for any specific task (which is just what I intend.) It will be very interesting to see if the Vanguard can fit an S1 and an S2 reactor. If it can, it will be a premium stealth bounty hunter. No matter what weapons, shields, etc. you choose, you should be able to attack with S3 and S4 missiles from outside detection range and immobilize your prey before they can see you.

Until we know more about the EM Warfare I would not presume you will ever need a pulse generator. Missiles and distortion guns should be enough.

Most important though, if you want to take bounties on the ground, I think you want a Hoplite. Half dozen troops is going to be a very handy thing.

If you intend to work as part of a larger team against the hardest bounties, which will likely be flying Polaris, I would suggest you consider the Razor EX. Bounty teams need scouts and the EX is the perfect bird to chase down leads. Stealth Recon rocks. The dash is too high, so you want to fly before you buy to be sure you like it.

I don't think anyone will need to move BUKs and modules. My guess is they'll magically appear at whatever port you're at, same as your cash does, but we will see.

Last edited:

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
If you want to try out the hawk and get a solid opinion about it I got one you can borrow when ever you want.
It is really good once you figure it out and it is fast and hard to hit cause it's small.
So don't let the hawk size fool you it is quiet competent ;) And you do have a cell/ sort of bed in it.

CHEERS!
Is the Hawk actually a decent ship? I do like the concept of it.
The Mercury is interesting.
I vote for the Merc. I think she'll be a very versatile ship, and I'm betting you'll be able to toss in a cell. My thought is that you'll be able to eventually get mobile cells, that will take up a cargo grid or two. That makes the most sense to me. As a matter of fact, I am willing to bet that ALL prisoner cells end up being a type of system that utilizes cargo grids.

Carlos Spicyweiner

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 14, 2015
RSI Handle
DMGunslinger
I still rather take them on the ground. Why risk my multi-million credit ship?
Ahhh! I see! Then you probably want to turn that Titan into a Stalker and turn the Gladius into a Hawk. The Warden is probably the hardest hitting fighter in the game, but I can't kill a Buccaneer with it to save my life(I suck at PvP to begin with). It's just too nimble. The Gladius would have a hard time with the bigger ships anyway, and the Hawk has EMP

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Ahhh! I see! Then you probably want to turn that Titan into a Stalker and turn the Gladius into a Hawk. The Warden is probably the hardest hitting fighter in the game, but I can't kill a Buccaneer with it to save my life(I suck at PvP to begin with). It's just too nimble. The Gladius would have a hard time with the bigger ships anyway, and the Hawk has EMP
Are you flying with all fixed weapons?
^ are you flying with fixed? or using gimbals?

Bucc's do suck (ha!) but using the gimbaled S4 makes the job a lot easier. You should practice Pirate Swarm, and see (the real nimble pain's in the ass are the damn P-52's).

My current manuver now is to get my 4 laser cannons centered on the enemy ship, and let my gimbaled S4 weapon combine with them to shred the enemy ships.

Carlos Spicyweiner

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 14, 2015
RSI Handle
DMGunslinger
^ are you flying with fixed? or using gimbals?

Bucc's do suck (ha!) but using the gimbaled S4 makes the job a lot easier. You should practice Pirate Swarm, and see (the real nimble pain's in the ass are the damn P-52's).

My current manuver now is to get my 4 laser cannons centered on the enemy ship, and let my gimbaled S4 weapon combine with them to shred the enemy ships.
Thanks, I'm gonna try it!

atpbx

Space Marshal
Jan 2, 2016
RSI Handle
General Fisting
Is the Hawk actually a decent ship? I do like the concept of it.

I vote for the Merc. I think she'll be a very versatile ship, and I'm betting you'll be able to toss in a cell. My thought is that you'll be able to eventually get mobile cells, that will take up a cargo grid or two. That makes the most sense to me. As a matter of fact, I am willing to bet that ALL prisoner cells end up being a type of system that utilizes cargo grids.
The Hawk is a glorious ship to fly, but its built out of wet tissue paper, its EMP is usless and its weapon options are pitiful.

Its up there with the Khartu al, Delta, and Blade as ships that are complete waste of money.

Forgot your password?