Where can I buy a new gaming system?

Esctasy

Admiral
Donor
Nov 28, 2018
RSI Handle
Esctasy
Hello just looking for a couple of sites I can buy a new gaming computer.
Just wanted to pick-up a pre-made system so I don't have to choose any options.
Also want the very best currently available. Did some google searches but if some of you had a good experience from a particular site please list them for me.
Thanks!

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
Hello just looking for a couple of sites I can buy a new gaming computer.
Just wanted to pick-up a pre-made system so I don't have to choose any options.
Also want the very best currently available. Did some google searches but if some of you had a good experience from a particular site please list them for me.
Thanks!
Origin used to have decent laptops (I have one of their laptops I use now). But since I purchased the laptop, they were bought by Corsair. I am not sure how good they continue to be, but if they are like they were, they make a good rig.

If you are looking for a pre-built gaming system, that's one of the places I would start. The BIGGEST problem is that you will need to pick options. There are just too many choices out there for a gaming system, and buying "off the shelf" from places like best buy or other mega-retailers going to lead to disappointment.

How much do you want to spend? Very best available can be VERY expensive (more than 5 digits) It all depends

Are you Intel, AMD, or agnostic? NVidia, AMD, or agnostic?

Those two choices drive a lot of what you will get.

Also, what type of monitors? ultra widescreen, normal 4k, 1440, or 1080? How many? The more pixels you drive, the more video card and video memory you need

For instance, if you want a computer TODAY, I would go with AMD and get one that supports PCI.e 4.0. If you want to wait a few months, Intel Rocketlake should have that tech. If you are going with an AMD processor, you might consider an AMD video card. Both have great performance, but getting a video card might be a bit tricky.

Note, I have NEVER purchased an AMD, but one of the reasons is that they can be very...temperamental with their drivers, or at least they used to be. If they have that under control, there is no reason not to get one. ( I will let those with more experience answer that)

Get at least 1 m.2 drive where you place SC and other games. I personally run 2 M.2 drives on my system, and my current build (still waiting on a processor/MB choice) is going to run 2 - 2 TB M.2 drives. Drive technology choices can have a significant impact on your computer performance. Like many electronics, you are limited by your weakest link. Spend a bunch on a great 4k Blu-Ray player, but have a really bad receiver or an HD TV, and you will be limited on what you get out of that player. The same applies to processors, video cards, ram, motherboards, and even power supplies.

I would choose 64 GB on 2 stick of memory, and 4 memory slots on the MB, giving you 128 GB of potential RAM 3 or so years down the road, no matter which processor/video card you get. Don't get 64 on 4 sticks as that's just a waste of money when you upgrade later.

Are you overclocking, or playing it stock? If you want to OC, make sure the MB has a good power section.

Speaking of power, make sure your power supply can handle all that.

Sorry for the long response

TL;DR https://www.originpc.com/

Sayora

Grand Admiral
Donor
Oct 23, 2018
RSI Handle
Sayora
Well a lot of this depends on your budget.

Personally if I was going to go with a pre-built I love MainGear they are boutique and as such you pay more but they have amazing service, Origin is similar place.
Mid ranged in the boutique vs cheap is NZXT their build process is kinda cool, you pick the games you want to play and select your budget and they show you a build that shoud fit that (of course Star Citizen isn't in their list)
Then you have the more cheap builders CyberPower and IBuyPower who are pretty identical, they run lots of "sales" where you can get lucky on some cheap builds, but they can really cheap out on the non big parts (Motherboard, ram ect..) and might not even tell you what your getting

What to get? wow that depends on your budget totally, right now the AMD 5600X is a really good CPU on the cheaper side, though for SC the 8 core 5800X might be a better idea. Get at least 16gb ram but I would 32 for SC honestly.... You want a good sided NVME or SSD to boot and put your games that need the load speed so at least 1tb for the boot drive.

As for GPU, well all the new cards are almost impossible to get, outside of pre-builds that is the best reason to go that way right now. That not withstanding look at your budget and get the best you can afford, also depends on your monitor what resolution are you playing at?

Reactions: vahadar

Esctasy

Admiral
Donor
Nov 28, 2018
RSI Handle
Esctasy
Origin used to have decent laptops (I have one of their laptops I use now). But since I purchased the laptop, they were bought by Corsair. I am not sure how good they continue to be, but if they are like they were, they make a good rig.

If you are looking for a pre-built gaming system, that's one of the places I would start. The BIGGEST problem is that you will need to pick options. There are just too many choices out there for a gaming system, and buying "off the shelf" from places like best buy or other mega-retailers going to lead to disappointment.

How much do you want to spend? Very best available can be VERY expensive (more than 5 digits) It all depends

Are you Intel, AMD, or agnostic? NVidia, AMD, or agnostic?

Those two choices drive a lot of what you will get.

Also, what type of monitors? ultra widescreen, normal 4k, 1440, or 1080? How many? The more pixels you drive, the more video card and video memory you need

For instance, if you want a computer TODAY, I would go with AMD and get one that supports PCI.e 4.0. If you want to wait a few months, Intel Rocketlake should have that tech. If you are going with an AMD processor, you might consider an AMD video card. Both have great performance, but getting a video card might be a bit tricky.

Note, I have NEVER purchased an AMD, but one of the reasons is that they can be very...temperamental with their drivers, or at least they used to be. If they have that under control, there is no reason not to get one. ( I will let those with more experience answer that)

Get at least 1 m.2 drive where you place SC and other games. I personally run 2 M.2 drives on my system, and my current build (still waiting on a processor/MB choice) is going to run 2 - 2 TB M.2 drives. Drive technology choices can have a significant impact on your computer performance. Like many electronics, you are limited by your weakest link. Spend a bunch on a great 4k Blu-Ray player, but have a really bad receiver or an HD TV, and you will be limited on what you get out of that player. The same applies to processors, video cards, ram, motherboards, and even power supplies.

I would choose 64 GB on 2 stick of memory, and 4 memory slots on the MB, giving you 128 GB of potential RAM 3 or so years down the road, no matter which processor/video card you get. Don't get 64 on 4 sticks as that's just a waste of money when you upgrade later.

Are you overclocking, or playing it stock? If you want to OC, make sure the MB has a good power section.

Speaking of power, make sure your power supply can handle all that.

Sorry for the long response

TL;DR https://www.originpc.com/
Thanks for all the info. I didn't want to spend much time on this so I just went with cyberpowerpc.com (googled it).
It came out 3k cheaper than my last PC so I'm happy. Hopefully it will last me until SC is released!

1606877164293.png

Reactions: vahadar and Sayora

Esctasy

Admiral
Donor
Nov 28, 2018
RSI Handle
Esctasy
Well a lot of this depends on your budget.

Personally if I was going to go with a pre-built I love MainGear they are boutique and as such you pay more but they have amazing service, Origin is similar place.
Mid ranged in the boutique vs cheap is NZXT their build process is kinda cool, you pick the games you want to play and select your budget and they show you a build that shoud fit that (of course Star Citizen isn't in their list)
Then you have the more cheap builders CyberPower and IBuyPower who are pretty identical, they run lots of "sales" where you can get lucky on some cheap builds, but they can really cheap out on the non big parts (Motherboard, ram ect..) and might not even tell you what your getting

What to get? wow that depends on your budget totally, right now the AMD 5600X is a really good CPU on the cheaper side, though for SC the 8 core 5800X might be a better idea. Get at least 16gb ram but I would 32 for SC honestly.... You want a good sided NVME or SSD to boot and put your games that need the load speed so at least 1tb for the boot drive.

As for GPU, well all the new cards are almost impossible to get, outside of pre-builds that is the best reason to go that way right now. That not withstanding look at your budget and get the best you can afford, also depends on your monitor what resolution are you playing at?
I missed this post! Was in a rush so I just went with CyberPower. Thanks for the info anyhow.

Reactions: vahadar and Sayora

Doyzer

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 31, 2017
RSI Handle
Doyzer
$5400 seems like overkill, Why did you opt for a 3090 gpu. 3080 costs half the price and is 10% slower.

In the end, your money, your choice.

Reactions: vahadar and Michael

Esctasy

Admiral
Donor
Nov 28, 2018
RSI Handle
Esctasy
$5400 seems like overkill, Why did you opt for a 3090 gpu. 3080 costs half the price and is 10% slower.

In the end, your money, your choice.
My over 4 year old computer has a severely outdated CPU and Motherboard. But it has twin 1080Ti GPU. From the videos I've seen, the 3090 barely beats a pair of 1080Ti SLI. If I got the 3080, then it would be a downgrade. I read that SLI wouldn't be a thing going forward, so a pair of 3080 would not work. Therefore, had no choice but to pay the extra for the 3090.

Reactions: vahadar

Sky Captain

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 13, 2018
RSI Handle
TheSkyCaptain
I like Falcon Northwest. Link: falcon-nw.com

They have well-tuned systems that are highly customizable. Not inexpensive, but I've kept their systems longer than others too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Esctasy
Forgot your password?