Will Connies be getting further work?

Dirtbag_Leader

Admiral
Nov 27, 2020
RSI Handle
Dirtbag_Leader
I don't remember if I've heard anything one way or the other, so does anyone know if there's any currently 'planned' work on an/all of the Constellations? Not that I think any are in a 'bad' place, but I certainly feel that they're due for some sort of pass to bring them up to the more modern standards. That, and of course moving the horizontal strut and *finishing* the rest of the Phoenix interior! Just curious what is/isn't known/planned these days.

Zookajoe

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 6, 2016
RSI Handle
Zookajoe
I believe they will still see a bit of work to bring them up to the "Gold Standard".

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Im not sure CIG sees any kind of big benefit to rework an existing ship like that. They may add a few little weapon racks or other such features, but no redesign of any kind.

If for some reason they do rework the interior, I will be very surprised.

• Thump
Reactions: Dirtbag_Leader

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Im not sure CIG sees any kind of big benefit to rework an existing ship like that. They may add a few little weapon racks or other such features, but no redesign of any kind.

If for some reason they do rework the interior, I will be very surprised.
There is some work that has to be done.
  • Kitchen/Nozzletron.
  • The lockers and weapon racks need to be brought to current standards.
  • The metrics for the table doesn't look right.
  • The top airlock has to go.
  • They talked about moving or removing struts.
  • Add components it doesn't have yet.
  • Probably something I am missing. :)
All part of the standard list for gold standard rework. But, yes, that is about it. Nothing major.

Jun 20, 2022
RSI Handle
diabolus_ex_machina
Sounds about what needs doing. I am hoping they make it a bit homelier and comfortable though, that's what the Connie needs (except the Phoenix, but that's a luxury jet and needs a way for passengers to gain entry without seeing the cargo hold or crew quarters.) We've seen that plain and utilitarian doesn't mean it has to be un-homely.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Why rework ... when you can sell something new that doesn't work???

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
The co-pilot stations only have 1 HUD and need a second (power management and missile control), while the pilot has 5 HUDs, 2 of which are unnecessary.

Definitely needs weapon racks on the bridge.

Last edited:

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
Short answer is yes, and others have stated reasons.

Longer answer is that ALL the older ships are said to be eventually brought up to parity.

If what you are actually asking (likely, methinks!) is if the Connies are going to be improved upon, as we've seen with other ships. My opinion is that is a solid yes although 'improvement' may mean something different to you than CIG. With all the changes that have to take place to bring it even up to the current standard (such as power relays, npc requirements, storage) some level of actual rethink/rework is going to be necessary.

I would be massively surprised if they don't end up at least as good as the RAFT interiors, especially given the much higher price point.

Last edited:

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
The co-pilot stations only have 1 HUD and need a second (power management and missile control), while the pilot has 5 HUDs, 2 of which are unnecessary.

Definitely needs weapon racks on the bridge.
I think the suit lockers are more essential on the bridge with the weapon racks to remain where they are now, roughly.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Why is this? If someone boards surely you want weapon racks on the bridge?
All the crew stations are on the bridge. If your ship suffers decompression you need your suit, before you need a gun.

Also note that the Connie currently lacks suit lockers but has gun racks.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I don't honestly see the point in splitting arms and armor. If you'll recall the layout of the bridge on Starhunter's Tulip, they managed to put in a short wall of lockers behind which was the rear bulkhead of the bridge, covered by a wall of weapons. So, you could still see across the room to the far wall, but you have lots of locker storage. Failing that fix in the Connies, you could build your own half wall out of 2SCU boxes. That would not offer the ease of use of racks, but it's better than getting shot unarmed on your bridge. and there is room for at least three suits.

The cinematic point on the Tulip was to watch the crew gear up, slapping levers on weapons, etc. SC deserves such cool as a daily delight.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
I don't honestly see the point in splitting arms and armor. If you'll recall the layout of the bridge on Starhunter's Tulip, they managed to put in a short wall of lockers behind which was the rear bulkhead of the bridge, covered by a wall of weapons. So, you could still see across the room to the far wall, but you have lots of locker storage. Failing that fix in the Connies, you could build your own half wall out of 2SCU boxes. That would not offer the ease of use of racks, but it's better than getting shot unarmed on your bridge. and there is room for at least three suits.

The cinematic point on the Tulip was to watch the crew gear up, slapping levers on weapons, etc. SC deserves such cool as a daily delight.
The Hab area already has weapon racks, and the old incarnation of the storage locker, plus an implied kitchen. Reorganizing that, plus bringing it to current standards, fills most of the useable space.
The engineering area at the rear of the cargo hold, and the corridor to the Merlin, needs room for bigger components.
The Bridge has some components already, which will have to be moved just to get them fitting.
Given the size of the suit lockers on the ships with the lockers, the Carrack, Hammerhead, M2, 400i and even the armor locker in the prisoner compartment on the Cutlass Blue there isn't much space for 4 lockers anywhere useful on the Connie. The Bridge area is about the only place for them without a major rework, which is highly unlikely. And there isn't space for much else once you put them there.

Suit lockers are some of the largest components we've been shown.

Jun 20, 2022
RSI Handle
diabolus_ex_machina
The Hab area already has weapon racks, and the old incarnation of the storage locker, plus an implied kitchen. Reorganizing that, plus bringing it to current standards, fills most of the useable space.
The engineering area at the rear of the cargo hold, and the corridor to the Merlin, needs room for bigger components.
The Bridge has some components already, which will have to be moved just to get them fitting.
Given the size of the suit lockers on the ships with the lockers, the Carrack, Hammerhead, M2, 400i and even the armor locker in the prisoner compartment on the Cutlass Blue there isn't much space for 4 lockers anywhere useful on the Connie. The Bridge area is about the only place for them without a major rework, which is highly unlikely. And there isn't space for much else once you put them there.

Suit lockers are some of the largest components we've been shown.
Why do you assume there will be a standard size (large) for suit lockers?

Forgot your password?