16 ram vs 32?

Cpt_Trips

Admiral
Donor
Mar 28, 2020
RSI Handle
DominoSugar
Hey all,

Was just curious how much upgrading my ram from 16 to 32 would impact my overall performance in Star Citizen. These are my current specs:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
Chip type: GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8G
I am running the game on an SSD as well

Appreciate any input!

Cheers!
Cpt_ Trips

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
I went from 16 to 24 and it helped a TON. Wish I could've gotten 32+, but forgot what kind of chips I initially had.
You could read it on the chips, but it also depends on when you got the original. It might be hard after a few years to get the same. My previous rig had 8GB stock? yeah, much too not enough. First improvement was to get 32GB of matching ones . I ordered them shortly after I ordered the rig. There was no option to choose more RAM with my previous rig.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
You could read it on the chips, but it also depends on when you got the original. It might be hard after a few years to get the same. My previous rig had 8GB stock? yeah, much too not enough. First improvement was to get 32GB of matching ones . I ordered them shortly after I ordered the rig. There was no option to choose more RAM with my previous rig.
I didn't remember the stick size, it had been 5+ years. Wasn't going to get any, but figured it'd be a few years before I could build a new one.

Had 4x4gb, so I just removed two and added 2x8.

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
32GB would help a lot, 16 GB seems to be minimum, a lot of swapping. How is your free memory in game?
64GB here..... that is overkill
LMAO there is no such thing as overkill with RAM you can never have to much.. 🤪 ( 64GB here to ) 🧐😋
Reason most say this and that is enough... when it come to how much ram should you get...

Is cause ram was usually the most expensive to get a lot of, to day it's a lot more affordable but it is the thing you benefit most from having a lot of.
So I always say buy as much ram as your wallet allow if you can afford to, fill it up to max, do it.
You wont regret it and you will never buy a computer with less ram than the max the MB can have ever again.

CHEERS! 🍻

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
It would be really interesting to have somebody with 32GB RAM *pull out* 16GB of their RAM and do a "Before and After" test. You can definitely run it with 16GB of RAM, and I'm sure 32GB would be better, but *how* much better would it be? Would the cost be worth it?

Enquiring minds wish to find out!

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
It's deffo a good upgrade especially as you got a very good system. SC regularly uses 16+GB RAM here on my 6 year old PC, I have 24GB ram. Windows needs a fewer too. so 16 + 3 + more than 16. So if you are running on 16 you are losing performance for sure.

Cpt_Trips

Admiral
Donor
Mar 28, 2020
RSI Handle
DominoSugar
It would be really interesting to have somebody with 32GB RAM *pull out* 16GB of their RAM and do a "Before and After" test. You can definitely run it with 16GB of RAM, and I'm sure 32GB would be better, but *how* much better would it be? Would the cost be worth it?

Enquiring minds wish to find out!
Exactly what I'm trying to find out

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
It's deffo a good upgrade especially as you got a very good system. SC regularly uses 16+GB RAM here on my 6 year old PC, I have 24GB ram. Windows needs a fewer too. so 16 + 3 + more than 16. So if you are running on 16 you are losing performance for sure.
I have used 16 and 32 on my PC, the thing that made the biggest difference was using an M2 mounted beside the motherboard rather than at the end of a 6 foot cable. This patch though, all bets are off. They seem to have screwed up some optimizations they had done in 3.6, 7. and 8.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
I have used 16 and 32 on my PC, the thing that made the biggest difference was using an M2 mounted beside the motherboard rather than at the end of a 6 foot cable. This patch though, all bets are off. They seem to have screwed up some optimizations they had done in 3.6, 7. and 8.
Every patch man...if it isn't one thing, it's another!

I'd insert the old Roseanne Roseannadanna picture, but nobody would get it...well, a couple of people would!

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
That doesn't looks too good. It means that SC is swapping.

An NVMe will help out when swapping, but RAM still is faster then NVMe.

What is your resolution? I run a 1080ti at 2560x1440. Clearly my GPU now has become the bottle neck. In flight in an asteroid field I get 70 - 75 FPS.
If SC is swapping, a) did you set your paging file to your NVMe (so it is using your fastest device), and b) are you using the Win10 defaults for paging, or did you set different values? I would highly recommend going with the Win10 defaults. In the old days, the OS defaults were sub-optimal and you needed to change the defaults, but not anymore.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I went from 16 to 24 and it helped a TON. Wish I could've gotten 32+, but forgot what kind of chips I initially had.
I'm in the 24 club too, 2x8's and 2x4's. Seems to work just fine :)

Internet speed is the curse on my machine even though it's a jolly old potato. Doesn't help I'm on Wi-Fi rather than a wired eathernet connection.

Cpt_Trips

Admiral
Donor
Mar 28, 2020
RSI Handle
DominoSugar
If SC is swapping, a) did you set your paging file to your NVMe (so it is using your fastest device), and b) are you using the Win10 defaults for paging, or did you set different values? I would highly recommend going with the Win10 defaults. In the old days, the OS defaults were sub-optimal and you needed to change the defaults, but not anymore.
The NVMe SSD is my only drive. Never messed with any of the setting you stated above.

• o7
Reactions: Talonsbane
Forgot your password?