2.6 Vanduul Swarm and the PTU

Leo Vos

Captain
Nov 14, 2016
RSI Handle
Leo-Vos
So today I managed to complete the 2.6 Vanduul Swarm, got shocked at the sticker price of the Esperia Glaive ($425? My Carrack was $350 damn it!), and ended up trading in my Sabre and prospector for it. Why?

Well, first things, I found this much harder than the old flight model. Much. My old trusty Sabre really did used to feel OP'd, especially when you go full Panther and just tear through things. In 2.6? Not so much. I would get to round 15, get swarmed by vanduul doing their shark tank circle swim around me, and then get chewed up no matter how much boost or rock cover I went for.

4 tries later, even when budding up as much as possible with NPC support I still only get to round 17 before my trusty co-pilots finally lost the good fight and left me to get picked apart.

So, "fine", I thought; "Let's try that Vanguard, that will be a laugh". First try straight through to round 18! Only lost it on a over powered burn straight into the barrier. 2 tries later and it's done. The final fight was still a hell of a battle, my buddies died and I had to use some rocks to outmanoeuvre the last two bogies, but it all worked out. I think it would have been much faster if the ROMs were working and I could swap the rev for the M7A.

Lesson here is the Vanguard is good now and it's about time too. The increased armour and shield really shows and it packs a hell of a punch even with 1 pilot.

Back in the PTU I found much more luck with a variety of ships, where before only the Sabre really felt like the best choice for all situations. With that, I swapped it out along with the prospector given I think the Glaive will be a touch harder to get in the final release.

How have you guys been finding the new 2.6? Personally loving every moment, and can't believe how much game there already is in the alpha.

- Oh and forgot to mention, not a single crash or tech issue during swarm. Super impressed.

BenjiMac

Commander
Dec 11, 2016
RSI Handle
macFionnlagh
I feel you, havent tried the vanguard myself but tried several ships in pirate swarm and got almost nowhere.

First run in a stock loadout super hornet and we blitz the thing first try.

All ships are not created equal, I dont care how much they say skill will be the decider.

zeddie

Space Marshal
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Test-Dummy
Yeah... I got used to Sabre just powering through many rounds of ICC missions, while now, I can't even get past the first one! It feels so weak now, I get chewed up so fast.

Reactions: AstroSam

Leo Vos

Captain
Nov 14, 2016
RSI Handle
Leo-Vos
Yeah... I got used to Sabre just powering through many rounds of ICC missions, while now, I can't even get past the first one! It feels so weak now, I get chewed up so fast.
Speed, raw firepower, or a decent buffer, are really important now and I'm not sure how the sabre stacks up anymore. To be fair, it could be I'm too used to flying it pre 2.6 so harder to adapt?

Either way, I found myself grinning ear to ear in the Glaive - fast and packs a good punch.

Be warned in the open universe, some of those pirate ships are bugged. Knocked the engines off a cutlass and sat there shooting it head on, totally stationary, with all guns and it took at least 15 shots where I haven't had a problem disintegrating most other things in least than 3 direct hits.

Last edited:
Reactions: AstroSam
Forgot your password?