3.2.1 patch frustration

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
This is a kind of rant.

With the kind of things I've been seeing in SC patches over the last two weeks, I'm beginning to think that the developers are under project management pressure to take short cuts and deviate from industry standard best practices - like unit testing, and integration testing. Project Managers and Program directors put developers under that kind of pressure at their own peril.

It's pretty apparent that they did not test the latest patch properly before implementing it (3.2.1f, in the PTU). Hop in a ship with a turret, Super Hornet is a good bet. Fire the guns. Note where the top turret is aiming. Bet your target isn't there. Also, the turret on the Super Hornet turns to the rear if you travel in QT all by itself, and back again when you slow down, still doesn't align with the center line, but it might be even further off.

I'm frustrated, not angry about it, I get it. 3.3 needs someone working on it now. But they're not going to get to 3.3 if they can't deliver 3.2.1, and they're not going to progress unless they follow established standards, and the software quality process is allowed to complete. It's up to the leadership at CIG to set this standard, and not whatever they're doing now.

StdDev

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 16, 2017
RSI Handle
StdDev
Improvements seem to get straightened out on a "successive approximations" method... I believe it WILL get there.. but:
at least for me, there is no way to start a new issue at the PTU issue council. This is going to make reporting bugs most difficult.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
This is a kind of rant.

I'm frustrated, not angry about it, I get it. 3.3 needs someone working on it now. But they're not going to get to 3.3 if they can't deliver 3.2.1, and they're not going to progress unless they follow established standards, and the software quality process is allowed to complete. It's up to the leadership at CIG to set this standard, and not whatever they're doing now.

Rant away. And I agree with you the release quality has diminished since moving towards this quarterly release cycle. But I understand it. The community has been very vocal about demanding forward progression of features and so they are rushing them out the door while still working on the foundation which will break lots of features.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Feel free to vent your frustrations, it's what we are here for, TEST is a massive support group.

And don't worry about the Hornet, it'll be fixed before you know it. Meanwhile, back in 300 series land, I am still awaiting my rework :) Only been five years and counting :)

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
From what I'm seeing it is more of most people are only familiar with the Waterfall development model but CIG has transitioned to AGILE/Scrum method of development.

Reactions: Vavrik

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
I'm frustrated, not angry about it, I get it. 3.3 needs someone working on it now. But they're not going to get to 3.3 if they can't deliver 3.2.1
I sense that they know the pressure is on.

Latest employee count is 500, and Im positive they are underpaying the newest low level coders and squeezing the life out of them.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Latest employee count is 500, and Im positive they are underpaying the newest low level coders and squeezing the life out of them.
Yep. You know the gaming industry is alive and well, when they spit out developers who look like dried up lemon rinds. In my industry, we do it a lot better because we're more cultured and stuff. Instead, when there's a skill shortage, we hire junior associates as senior consultants THEN squeeze the life out of them.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
3.2.1-PTU.832179 (3.2.1g) released. We got acknowledgement of the Hornet turret bug, and a pair of workarounds:
  • Hornet ball turrets do not align with other weapons and cause reticle aim to break when using gimbals. W/A: Remove the ball turret and/or replace with a flashfire mount.
  • There is no way to disable turret aim assist or gyro-stabilization when a target is selected. W/A: Temporarily hold interaction mode to disable them if needed for out of combat movement.
and some other turret related bug fixes, but I think we're going to have an h patch to test soon, given the above.
  • Updated the aim position on turrets to avoid it attempting to point into the direction the ship is traveling from and avoid gyro-stabilization activating when not targeting a ship.
  • The turret guns on the Caterpillar should now have proper weapon size restrictions.
  • Lead pips should once again activate properly.
Sigh... Ok I am curious, off to PTU but my fuse is probably going to be shorter.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
3.2.1-PTU.832179 (3.2.1g) released. We got acknowledgement of the Hornet turret bug, and a pair of workarounds:
  • Hornet ball turrets do not align with other weapons and cause reticle aim to break when using gimbals. W/A: Remove the ball turret and/or replace with a flashfire mount.
  • There is no way to disable turret aim assist or gyro-stabilization when a target is selected. W/A: Temporarily hold interaction mode to disable them if needed for out of combat movement.
and some other turret related bug fixes, but I think we're going to have an h patch to test soon, given the above.
  • Updated the aim position on turrets to avoid it attempting to point into the direction the ship is traveling from and avoid gyro-stabilization activating when not targeting a ship.
  • The turret guns on the Caterpillar should now have proper weapon size restrictions.
  • Lead pips should once again activate properly.
Sigh... Ok I am curious, off to PTU but my fuse is probably going to be shorter.
So... how did it go...?

Reactions: Bambooza
Forgot your password?