3.6 Stability

Esctasy

Admiral
Donor
Nov 28, 2018
RSI Handle
Esctasy
Half the times I get stuck on the loading screen indefinitely. The times I do get in, I get random crashes after a few minutes of play time. In 3.4 and prior patches everything was nice and stable. I did a full wipe of SC and all temp folders/files and re-install, it didn't seem to help.

Anyone else experiencing this or just me?

Edit: The crashes are quite severe. I tab back to windows and everything is fine, but if I try to kill the process my whole computer locks up and I have to do a hard boot.

Last edited:

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Interesting. I have the infinite loading screen problem, but in 6 sessions of about 2+ hours each I only had a single disconnect, and no crashes. It's been surprisingly stable.
First thing to do would be to update your drivers, if you haven't done that already. I had similar issues cos of running an older video driver back a few patches ago.
Second, check your temperatures. This release of SC is pretty intensive on my system, takes up more ram and uses all my stuff at like a 100% so heating can be an issue.
Talkong of performance, how much ram do you have, and if less then 32 gigs, have you set up a custom page file for your system, and in case you haven't, do you have enough space on your system drive for it? SC has some severe memory usage still, and eats up all your cache space pretty fast. Having your system drive, ram, and page file filled to the brim could cause the lockups you experienced.
Or it could be as simple as this release being bugged in a way that it doesn't like your particular system and crashes a lot more. Shit does indeed happen sometimes. While others were going on about 3.something being really fast and stable, I could barely get it started.

Esctasy

Admiral
Donor
Nov 28, 2018
RSI Handle
Esctasy
Interesting. I have the infinite loading screen problem, but in 6 sessions of about 2+ hours each I only had a single disconnect, and no crashes. It's been surprisingly stable.
First thing to do would be to update your drivers, if you haven't done that already. I had similar issues cos of running an older video driver back a few patches ago.
Second, check your temperatures. This release of SC is pretty intensive on my system, takes up more ram and uses all my stuff at like a 100% so heating can be an issue.
Talkong of performance, how much ram do you have, and if less then 32 gigs, have you set up a custom page file for your system, and in case you haven't, do you have enough space on your system drive for it? SC has some severe memory usage still, and eats up all your cache space pretty fast. Having your system drive, ram, and page file filled to the brim could cause the lockups you experienced.
Or it could be as simple as this release being bugged in a way that it doesn't like your particular system and crashes a lot more. Shit does indeed happen sometimes. While others were going on about 3.something being really fast and stable, I could barely get it started.
ok thanks for the advise. I will double check my video driver. As long as it's just me then I can try to fix it, just wanted to make sure it wasn't because the patch was unstable. As for memory I have 64G and plenty of fast drive space for my page file. I think you're right about it being the video driver, I notice the crashes are more so when close to a planet or exiting warp.

Edit: my PC temperature seems to be normal, I run my PC really cool. No over clocking anything, and the dual 1080 ti is only half used while running SC.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Daft question here: Did you delete your USER folder?
They keep telling us that, but out of all the patches i only had issues with that once. I always ignore it and it hasn't caused any issues apart from that one case of the newly spawned aurora exploding 3seconds after going flight ready lol

Anyways, its a good idea to do so!

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
ok thanks for the advise. I will double check my video driver. As long as it's just me then I can try to fix it, just wanted to make sure it wasn't because the patch was unstable. As for memory I have 64G and plenty of fast drive space for my page file. I think you're right about it being the video driver, I notice the crashes are more so when close to a planet or exiting warp.

Edit: my PC temperature seems to be normal, I run my PC really cool. No over clocking anything, and the dual 1080 ti is only half used while running SC.
Nice rig!
If you are running the latest nvidia driver and it worked fine on older drivers, then that could cause the issue as well! I think I'm one driver behind at the moment, not sure though, and it seems to work just fine. Anyway, try rolling back to a previous driver, see if that helps.

Reactions: marcsand2

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
My PC crashes, about 1/4 of the time when I start the game, always when trying to connect to the server. Fortunately far less frequently just in the game. To me, these appear to be due to network packet loss.

In the game folder ... Roberts Space Industries\StarCitizen\LIVE I install a user.cfg file that contains just one line:
r_DisplayInfo = 3
I think CIG recommends using
r_DisplayInfo = 1
The difference is just the amount of data displayed. I can read the file output so I don't mind a lot... except when it covers a component of the GUI that I need to see. meh. Nothing is perfect.

I have had crashes that lock up my computer and require a hard boot, but it's very infrequent. Usually the software just recovers. The problem I have is that software will always blame your system, rather than theirs.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

wmk

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Feb 19, 2018
RSI Handle
wmk
The only case when I crash to desktop in 3.6.x is when there is a large explosion nearby; but it's been like that since 3.5, as far as I remember.

And by the way, unless my ship is destroyed in the explosion that crashed the game client, in most- if not all of the cases, I manage to go back to the previous game session, thanks to the crash recovery.

ShakyWater

Vice Admiral
Jan 4, 2017
RSI Handle
shakywater
LIke the PC shuts itself off and restarts not a blue screen or crash to desktop?
In 3.6, the screen goes to grey fuzz as it locks up for a few seconds, then it reboots. Running in windowed mode stopped this from happening.

In 3.6.1, it goes immediately black as though the power went out. Doesn't reboot. Running in windowed mode does not prevent this.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
In 3.6, the screen goes to grey fuzz as it locks up for a few seconds, then it reboots. Running in windowed mode stopped this from happening.

In 3.6.1, it goes immediately black as though the power went out. Doesn't reboot. Running in windowed mode does not prevent this.

The only time I've seen this has been an issue with the PSU. An easy test is to order a new PSU on amazon put it in your system if it fixes the issue then you know the solution if it doesn't send the PSU back.

Esctasy

Admiral
Donor
Nov 28, 2018
RSI Handle
Esctasy
Good to see the game is solid for many people. For me, updating the video drivers didn't resolve the issue. First I changed the video from full screen to windows screen, this way when the game crashes it doesn't take my whole computer with it. Then I was able to try a bunch of graphics setting changes.

It is working good now, however, I don't know what I did. The last change I made was from high graphics to ultra high, and I took out a different ship. Now it no longer crashes and I can enjoy the patch. Thanks for all your inputs.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Edit: The crashes are quite severe. I tab back to windows and everything is fine, but if I try to kill the process my whole computer locks up and I have to do a hard boot.
I had some infinite loading screens and infinite dying, this happens often during prime time.
If this happens I open the console with ~ and type quit to shut down the game. Either I quit the game or I crash to desktop. My current rig never had a lock up.

My old rig used to freeze at a regular base. I guess that was an incompatibility issue between MB and GPU. When I ditched the original MB, my rig still sometimes had micro stutters, but in contrast to my old MB, the new MB always recovered.

Since 3.x the load is much higher, GPU and CPU. Both above 90%, but as long neither clip to 100%, it is fine.
6700k, 1080ti, 32GB running at 2560x1440. 6400x1440 is too much for my GPU. It used to be fine, but in the last few patches it completely overloaded my GPU. Lower settings doesn't do much, only lower res.

Forgot your password?