3.8 PTU testing, Warning Spoil Alert!

Esctasy

Admiral
Donor
Nov 28, 2018
RSI Handle
Esctasy
For all those playing the 3.8 PTU post your thoughts & pictures here!
Also if anyone have any questions.

Here's what I found that sticks out the most so far.

QT got a massive boost. From my calculation it's a 231% increase in speed. Use to take 8:18 from PO to ArcCorp (Harbinger), now takes 3:36. Good thing because it's 57.5M km from PO to MicroTech.

You can see much more details on all the planets from orbit. Including city structures from space.

No Idris yet, maybe 3.8.2 ish? Hopefully.

The 890 mission is in.

ScreenShot0005.jpg

Esctasy

Admiral
Donor
Nov 28, 2018
RSI Handle
Esctasy
You can now hear other player ships flying close to you (up to 3k ish away) both in your ship and while outside your ship. Sounds like a helicopter flying by.

Each planet has a station orbiting it now. You can re spawn from the station.

Seems like most ships has their hud moved around. Some ships got their interiors changed to.

Edit: more like 3k ish.

ScreenShot0008.jpg

1.JPG

Last edited:

Sky Captain

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 13, 2018
RSI Handle
TheSkyCaptain
QT got a massive boost. From my calculation it's a 231% increase in speed.
Good to hear that. Kinda figured that would have to happen as the game universe began to grow. Save the longer QT times for truly the long hauls, not the short hops.

Glad to see progress on the cockpit annunicator panels too.

Griflet

Space Marshal
Aug 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Griflet
Best thing about 3.8 PTU! I met her at Tressler and just fell head over heels. She don't say much. In fact, she hasn't even said yes yet, but we're in love, I can feel it!
View attachment 14631
She was fearless and crazier than him. She was his queen, and God help anyone who dared to disrespect his queen.

Joehockey

Grand Admiral
Donor
Apr 8, 2017
RSI Handle
Joehockey
Good to hear that. Kinda figured that would have to happen as the game universe began to grow. Save the longer QT times for truly the long hauls, not the short hops.

Glad to see progress on the cockpit annunicator panels too.
Yeah that's amazing. I've heard a lot of people complaing that they're making QT too arcadey by speeding up QT. But, if the SC Wiki numbers and the StarMap numbers are accurate or close to accurate Stanton is only 5AU diameter, Pyro is 17AU, Nyx is 39AU, and Odin is 21AU. So I'm pretty sure that Stanton is a fairly small system compared to most others and the faster QT will make the game massively more accessible while still feeling "real" compared to what we had.

The StarMap has Port Olisar to Arccorp as 1.93au. That is 12:16 with the fastest Size 1 QT part, 8:18 (Size 2 QT), and 5:13 (Size 3 QT)

So, imagine you're going from Port Olisar to the Nyx system (22.88AU total distance). That is 1.8au from PO to the Pyro Jump Point, then the Pyro/Stanton JP to the Pyro/Nyx JP is 19.72au (nearly 10x the distance of PO to Arccorp). With the 3.7 QT speed, that's ball-parking (i'm not doing the full math lol) 130 minutes for fastest Size 1 QT part, 90 minutes with Size 2 QT, and 60 minutes with Size 3 QT. YIKES that's a long time.

If @Esctasy is right with 231% faster they cut that down to around 45minutes (size 1 QT), 30 minutes (size 2 QT), and 18 minutes (Size 3 QT). Still really long time but way better and in the right direction for the gameplay/fun vs realism/sim argument.

***Now, I can't use the real math as the numbers don't seem to work. 1AU is supposedly 149,598,000 Km, the round trip is 22.88AU totalling 3,422,802,240 Km. The DPS calculator size has the fastest Size 3 QT drive running at 133904.7 Km/s and that math claims that it would take 7 hours 6 minutes and 1 second. And the DPS calculator site states a upgraded Cat is 5:13 from PO to Arccorp which would actually be 1475100 km/s. So I'm ball-parking the QT times above with some mental math so I know that I'm not super accurate but it's close enough to give us a HUGE difference if the 231% is accurate. And I really hope that it is.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Yeah that's amazing. I've heard a lot of people complaing that they're making QT too arcadey by speeding up QT. But, if the SC Wiki numbers and the StarMap numbers are accurate or close to accurate Stanton is only 5AU diameter, Pyro is 17AU, Nyx is 39AU, and Odin is 21AU. So I'm pretty sure that Stanton is a fairly small system compared to most others and the faster QT will make the game massively more accessible while still feeling "real" compared to what we had.

The StarMap has Port Olisar to Arccorp as 1.93au. That is 12:16 with the fastest Size 1 QT part, 8:18 (Size 2 QT), and 5:13 (Size 3 QT)

So, imagine you're going from Port Olisar to the Nyx system (22.88AU total distance). That is 1.8au from PO to the Pyro Jump Point, then the Pyro/Stanton JP to the Pyro/Nyx JP is 19.72au (nearly 10x the distance of PO to Arccorp). With the 3.7 QT speed, that's ball-parking (i'm not doing the full math lol) 130 minutes for fastest Size 1 QT part, 90 minutes with Size 2 QT, and 60 minutes with Size 3 QT. YIKES that's a long time.

If @Esctasy is right with 231% faster they cut that down to around 45minutes (size 1 QT), 30 minutes (size 2 QT), and 18 minutes (Size 3 QT). Still really long time but way better and in the right direction for the gameplay/fun vs realism/sim argument.

***Now, I can't use the real math as the numbers don't seem to work. 1AU is supposedly 149,598,000 Km, the round trip is 22.88AU totalling 3,422,802,240 Km. The DPS calculator size has the fastest Size 3 QT drive running at 133904.7 Km/s and that math claims that it would take 7 hours 6 minutes and 1 second. And the DPS calculator site states a upgraded Cat is 5:13 from PO to Arccorp which would actually be 1475100 km/s. So I'm ball-parking the QT times above with some mental math so I know that I'm not super accurate but it's close enough to give us a HUGE difference if the 231% is accurate. And I really hope that it is.
Concur. Strongly. I (and many others I'm sure) simply can't afford to jump on for two hours of geeking and spend 1.75hrs traveling to my destination.

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk

Esctasy

Admiral
Donor
Nov 28, 2018
RSI Handle
Esctasy
Andromeda missiles finally working.

Arena Commander is considerably harder now. Gimbals never got nerfed, the problem I think is:
1. S2 weapons got fixed, before the S2 weapons were bugged I think, putting out much more dps than intended.
2. Enemies now charge at you and they constantly shoot, before they just flew around in a circle and shoot once in awhile :p

Last edited:

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza

Concur. Strongly. I (and many others I'm sure) simply can't afford to jump on for two hours of geeking and spend 1.75hrs traveling to my destination.
The thing is you shouldn't need to be traveling all over multiple systems and the investment is in our playtime for it to have weight and meaning for exploring and long haul trading.

Short-haul trading say from the station in orbit over Hurston or from one of Hurston's moons to Hurston should be relatively quick and principally the domain of the small hauler which can land at the small pads as well as quickly speed through a planet's atmosphere. They have already talked about making sure missions are going to be given and handled relatively locally so that a mission at Grim Hex doesn't necessarily send you to Hurston and back and those that do should scale in the price for it.

But at the same time shrinking down the distance between planets only increases the profits for traders unless commodities margins are shrunk. Other than that what gameplay purpose does increasing QT time accomplish? Especially when missions given are for the quadrant and don't require you to travel all over the place?

I do agree QT is boring at the moment and hopefully, they give us something to do to fill in the lull, but decreasing the time involved removes the value the trip has. While I understand the primary complaint is not that the trip is long its that the long trip is boring and uneventful that I agree that part should change, but I am not in favor of shrinking the time investment of going elsewhere in the verse.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
The thing is you shouldn't need to be traveling all over multiple systems and the investment is in our playtime for it to have weight and meaning for exploring and long haul trading.

Short-haul trading say from the station in orbit over Hurston or from one of Hurston's moons to Hurston should be relatively quick and principally the domain of the small hauler which can land at the small pads as well as quickly speed through a planet's atmosphere. They have already talked about making sure missions are going to be given and handled relatively locally so that a mission at Grim Hex doesn't necessarily send you to Hurston and back and those that do should scale in the price for it.

But at the same time shrinking down the distance between planets only increases the profits for traders unless commodities margins are shrunk. Other than that what gameplay purpose does increasing QT time accomplish? Especially when missions given are for the quadrant and don't require you to travel all over the place?

I do agree QT is boring at the moment and hopefully, they give us something to do to fill in the lull, but decreasing the time involved removes the value the trip has. While I understand the primary complaint is not that the trip is long its that the long trip is boring and uneventful that I agree that part should change, but I am not in favor of shrinking the time investment of going elsewhere in the verse.
I hadn't thought of it in the context of hauling, as I have no interest in hauling. Lol. In the words of a wise man:
We all naturally filter out information that doesn't fit our world view or deem it unimportant to the conclusion.
Hahaha. So yeah, I think of it in the context of being able to jump into game, and travel around doing things. But I'm also relating it to Freelancer or Privateer, where you traveled all over Hell's half acre to do shit.

Reactions: Nightlane

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Hahaha. So yeah, I think of it in the context of being able to jump into game, and travel around doing things. But I'm also relating it to Freelancer or Privateer, where you traveled all over Hell's half acre to do shit.
Indeed lots of players approach this the same way. And in fact, the mission team was also doing the same thing and have been revamping their internal process to stop it.

Reactions: Blind Owl
Forgot your password?