8-pin vs 6-pin PSU power cables

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
So, I happily arrived home after vacation, eager to install my new GTX 770, when I notice something: the new card requires 2 8-pin connectors, and I don't have the appropriate connectors. I've tried all the local shops, but no one seems to carry them. What I did find was that they do have 6-pin to 8-pin converters, which leads me to my next question: am I gonna fuck something up if I try to run my new card off two 6-pins?

I've researched around, and it seems the two extra pins on an 8-pin are just grounds, and not necessary for power draw. A 6-pin PCI-E power cable can theoretically deliver the same amount of power as an 8-pin. With that said, I don't want to compromise system stability and burn up a new card just by being impatient and trying to cut corners. Any input from more experienced system builders would be greatly appreciated.

Annitias

Minister of Propaganda
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Oct 5, 2014
RSI Handle
Annitias
Adapters are fine. Custom wiring (make your own ground mod) if your a pro user.

I doubt the 770 will run with 6pins. It will require the grounds to be just that and not empty or at least my 290x did.

A good psu should have no issues with even up to 190w on a 6 pin. (Do not recommend unless you know the OEM and gauge of cable)

CitizenDad

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 3, 2014
RSI Handle
SlvmL0rd
Oops my bad bro..

Lol sorry man I should of caught that. Just been super brain melted draind Warren.

Although it is technically a FREE 770 at this point so please don't hate me that much haha.

And yeah, just PM me I'll overnight you an adapter and/or psu of course ill cover it.

Let me know.

Anyway, shoot me a PM or text you do have my personal number correct?

Again sorry I didnt catch that. New rule, we run all set-ups and configs past @RussianJ from now on :)

Annitias

Minister of Propaganda
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Oct 5, 2014
RSI Handle
Annitias
Zero,

You'd kill me with as many configs Re posted here. I am a mere mortal.

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
Update: after spending an hour or two scouring the local shops, I finally managed to find two converters to work with my card. I go ahead and tear down my computer, pull out my old card, grab the box for the new one... and as I pull it out, out fall two 6-pin to 8-pin converters that MSI packed in already. So, my first drink tonight will go to ZeroKool for his generosity in providing such a fine card, and the next three will go to myself for being hella derp.

Forgot your password?