Part 10

By GeneticPredator

"Captain.... Can you hear me Captain?"

"What?..."

"Captain can you move?"

"Move what?.... Who are you?"

I slowly started to open my eyes...

I saw a cracked window...

I started looking around, it was very dark.
I saw broken displays, a throttle handle and lots of instruments, I was back in my cockpit! I looked out of the broken cockpit window, there was a guy out there.

"Captain are you alright?"

"Are you real!?!

"Haha! Yes Sir, I am. I'm from the second engineer battalion. We're here to get you out of here Sir."

"Wow, okay."

"Can you move your arms sir?

"Yes but only my left arm."

"Okay please cover your face sir, we need to cut up the window to get you out."

"Okay."

As he started cutting, another flash appeared behind him. and then another.

"Ahh again with those damn flashes! I yelled.

"Don't worry sir, the man replied over the coms.

"That is the third wave of Vanguards, Hornets and Retaliators jumping in to repel the Vanduul attack. It's not safe here Sir, we need to hurry!"

"Okay."

He continued cutting the cockpit open, and after a while the whole window came loose and drifted out in to space. "There! Let's get you out of here."

As he came closer in to the cockpit I saw a fully armed Hornet drift sideways behind him, past the front of the ship. "I can't believe you survived sir. You're lucky your suit and helmet are intact. Hold on... Yeah copy that... Sir, you have two more survivors, they're getting them out now."

"What?!? We were four!"

"I'm sorry Sir, lets get you out of here..." He struggled to get in, but finally made it, and started cutting my belt. I had severe pain in my right arm, and had trouble moving my legs. As he dragged me out of the cockpit, I saw three Hornets hovering around the ship, and two red ships. I think they were Cutlasses. As we drifted towards one of the red ships, I saw several people cutting in to the hull of my torn up ship.

My former trusted companion was totally wrecked! There were bullet holes all over the hull. That ship would never fly again...

There was debris everywhere floating around from destroyed Vanduul ships. I could see in the far distance the full scale war between the Vanduul and the UEE.

As we finally made it inside one of the red ships. They closed the rear hatch and started helping me get my helmet off.

A medic approached me and gave me a shot of something in the neck. "Here, that will ease the pain. you need to relax and rest," He said.

They helped me to lay down on a medical bed in there SAR bay. I slowly started feeling sleepy. The man who had helped me out of the cockpit came up to me, and removed his helmet. He was a young man, he smiled at me and said, "You must have angels watching over you, Sir. You're safe now. Now please get some rest."

"Thank you!" I replied. My eyes started getting heavy and I soon fell asleep.

I woke up, and looked toward the white celling. My neck hurt a little looking around in the room.
I heard a voice...

"Hey, good morning." I looked, and saw Mira sitting next to me. She smiled. She had lots of bruises about her face and a few small scars on her forehead.

"We made it," She said. "Well most of us..."

"What... what happened?" I replied.

"We lost Thomas... He must have been sucked out in space - the poor bastard. But Mitch is alive... He's in a coma but they say he will live. I spoke to one of the guys that saved us, and he said Mitch got hit by the escape pod: got clamped between the stairs and the pod, he's lucky to be alive."

"Okay... damn..."

"Yeah..."

The door opened and in came a man that I thought I had seen before. He walked up to me and said, "Nice to see you again Captain..."

"Yeah, who are you?"

"I'm Marcus, your commander on your last mission.

"Oh, right..."

"You've had a hell of a beating so I understand that you have memory problems. You're lucky most of your crew made it out alive!"

"Yeah what happened Sir?

"Well shortly after you left we got a message from high command, ordering us to turn around immediately. The Vanduul were attacking several planets, and destroying everything in their path. I've heard rumors that they wanted some mineral for there weapons productions on these planets, but I don't know. It's a war there now. Were heading back to Terra, so you're safe now..."

"We tried to contact you, to abort the mission and return here to the Hawkeye, but your coms must have been down," he added.

"Yeah I think someone jammed our coms. I replied."

"You're lucky to get away with a broken arm and bruises... I hope your ship had Insurance!"

"Yeah... it did..."

"So will you fly again?"

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

He looked puzzled. "Come again, Captain?"

"I shall either find a way, or make one. Sir."

The End?

Forgot your password?