A player from Chinese Community

Hogan_Dou

Captain
Jul 12, 2020
RSI Handle
Hogan_Dlb
Hi, every one. I'm Hogan from Chinese Community of Star Citizen.
We are working on a Chinese translation project to get more players get interested in this game.
I'll have lots of question on some tricky words in the game that we can't get the meaning or hard to translate.
If you can help me with these words I'll be appreciate.
Thanks!

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
Welcome! That's a really cool project to do- I know from experience that good localization can make or break a game.

On the opposite end I have played several Chinese games that are horribly translated and it completely ruined the experience for me. Best of luck and I am happy to help if I can!

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
I'll have lots of question on some tricky words in the game that we can't get the meaning or hard to translate.
If you can help me with these words I'll be appreciate.
Thanks!
do you have a list somewhere?

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Some words are English. There isn't always a direct same translated word in another language. I do this all the time between Dutch, English and German. If I translate a word from Dutch to German, it sometimes sounds silly, it doesn't sounds right. Then I translate it from Dutch to English, from English to German and check what the result is. I luckily have a cross reference between 3 languages. 4 actually, my dialect is somewhere between Dutch and German, but it isn't a language because it is not uniform and no translate program understands it.

Hogan_Dou

Captain
Jul 12, 2020
RSI Handle
Hogan_Dlb
Some words are English. There isn't always a direct same translated word in another language. I do this all the time between Dutch, English and German. If I translate a word from Dutch to German, it sometimes sounds silly, it doesn't sounds right. Then I translate it from Dutch to English, from English to German and check what the result is. I luckily have a cross reference between 3 languages. 4 actually, my dialect is somewhere between Dutch and German, but it isn't a language because it is not uniform and no translate program understands it.
The thing is that we need to figure out what are the words mean so that we could probably find/create a word which suit in the game. It won't be so hard, though.

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
The thing is that we need to figure out what are the words mean so that we could probably find/create a word which suit in the game. It won't be so hard, though.
Yeah the problem with Star Citizen is that it is such a technical game. You're looking basically looking at technical translations. Feels like you're translating an aircraft manual haha!

Hogan_Dou

Captain
Jul 12, 2020
RSI Handle
Hogan_Dlb
Hi, every one. I've got a question.
I'm translating the part of BlacJac missions. What does "Mercenaries with Demo Experience" means?
Some one said that is Mercenaries with Experience of demolish, is that correct?

Reactions: Tealwraith

August

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Aug 27, 2018
RSI Handle
August-TEST
Hi, every one. I've got a question.
I'm translating the part of BlacJac missions. What does "Mercenaries with Demo Experience" means?
Some one said that is Mercenaries with Experience of demolish, is that correct?
Experience with demolitions.

Demo is short for demolition (or demonstration) but in this context you would use the plural form of the word.

Forgot your password?