A review of New World and breakdown of game mechanics and locations

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
This was fun, looking forward to getting back in there with you guys!

Some additional thoughts, but there is a lot that is not in yet because alpha.

- Need more diversity of enemies
- Most towns look the same
- Most quests are the same fetch quest from some building that looks the same as the building in the other quest
- Great combat for an MMO, but will lag be a big problem?

There are a few other issues, but I suspect they will be dealt with in the final release.

stockish

Space Marshal
Nov 24, 2018
RSI Handle
Stockish
I played this for a couple of days, I can see that it still needs work but it wasn't terrible, but also not really impressive. Not a fan of the combat style but the story and such seems neat. May revisit it again if the preview goes on longer or they do another open beta thing.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
There is nothing groundbreaking here, its standard, fun MMO with room to expand.

Thraesh

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2019
RSI Handle
Thraesh19
I played solely as a melee machine for a while on the first couple of days and while I've been well versed in all role types in MMO's I have been melee the longest. I tried again as purely healer and honestly, I enjoyed it possibly more except when people ran out of my range which ended up getting themselves killed lol.

My biggest gripes with the game:
- It needs some form of quest diversity, it's just the same quest in every zone, go here, kill x,y,z, loot chests.
- Heals or healers (possibly casters in general) get blocked, by basically everything. This means it could turn off alot of players
- Crafting while fun and cool. It needs slight tweaks.

Overall, visually and to a degree combat wise, the game is great. It needs quite a bit of work as a whole but I can see it's potential

Reactions: Montoya

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
From the sounds of it and after watching some live stream, I think I'll wait till it goes on sale or something like that after some time passes for improvements. Maybe 6 months?
If anything, Anthem.... was an eye-opener of ... maybe it is better to wait?

stockish

Space Marshal
Nov 24, 2018
RSI Handle
Stockish
From the sounds of it and after watching some live stream, I think I'll wait till it goes on sale or something like that after some time passes for improvements. Maybe 6 months?
If anything, Anthem.... was an eye-opener of ... maybe it is better to wait?
Anthem? I thought SC was what we all awaiting on? That said, I agree, Anthem was definitely proof that pre-ordering can and will bite you in the ass.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Anthem? I thought SC was what we all awaiting on? That said, I agree, Anthem was definitely proof that pre-ordering can and will bite you in the ass.
And No Mans Sky. And Fallout '76. And the last Sim City which killed the franchise where the servers borked and a game you play on your own was unplayable as it required an internet connection for it's neighbor city features.

At least with SC I know I am paying for the dev of a game that does not yet exist. Yeah the footage of something like EA's Star Wars Squardons looked pretty but being able to preorder months/even a year ahead of release is paying for the dev of a game that does not yet exist.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Looks neat! Gave me WoW wibes, which is good.
On the other hand, I know that if I were to pick this up, I'd play for a week or so just to get my monies worth out of it and then never touch it again. Just like with Guild Wars 2, or TESO.
Because as @Montoya said, there is nothing new here. Plus, I don't find the setting interesting enough, there is no decades worth of lore to pull me in with the story.
I'm too old and busy for the "nothing new" sadly.

Gambit

Space Marshal
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Gambit
You don't need excellent if it makes impossible to have a good time. New World is that place that you can do familiar stuff from different games: mmo feelings from GW2, combat action from dark souls, exploration from Skyrim, storytelling from bloodborne (documents that contains locals narratives), wars from warhammer online, crafting from Ultima Online.

And even though it was preview, with needed balance, enemy and quest varieties, I played everyday form about 3 hours by myself - I can honestly say I miss the game. :)

I can only imagine how much more fun it would have been to play with all of you, though low ping is a much higher requirement in this mmo than others.

A bit related, but I look around and I don't see many options out there. Star Citizen is our prefered poison, but it is a couple of years away (or feels like), and other mmos I just log in and close.

---

I hear a lot of ashes of creation, but the idea of monthly pay, EVE like liberty for players and tab-targeting makes me less interested.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
If you like MMOs like ESO and WoW, and you like the combat system of Dark Souls, then this is for you.

If you dont give a shit about any of that, then do not bother.

Reactions: Lorddarthvik

Rear_Intruder

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 9, 2017
RSI Handle
Rear_Intruder
I played it in previous alpha and it is much better than then, this time I went to Level 22. The two main improvements from first alpha are;
1. levelling can be done in quests not just chopping trees ETC. 2. You have to opt into PVP and you can opt in or out as you go.
I would of liked larger areas with better exploration potential and with less PVE enemies like wolves randomly attacking and in fact a much larger world.
It may have been playing on USA West that caused delay, sometimes a second after my last mouse press my weapon would swing again and the ghouls sometimes screamed 2 secs after they died.
It was good playing with others using Guilded, when you were not around I sometimes had to tag along with other players to kill a boss.

Personally I would not recommend it as it is, I agree with most of the comments above.

Gambit

Space Marshal
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Gambit
It may have been playing on USA West that caused delay, sometimes a second after my last mouse press my weapon would swing again and the ghouls sometimes screamed 2 secs after they died.
man, US west ping was constantly getting above 200ms. And the server was not really super stable, even in EU I sometimes reached 100 (from the standard 70 here). This surely isn't a game that forgives connection lag...

Reactions: Rear_Intruder

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
If you like MMOs like ESO and WoW, and you like the combat system of Dark Souls, then this is for you.

If you dont give a shit about any of that, then do not bother.
So if that is truly souls combat and WoW mixed.... Damn you!! I might have to sign up and see for myself. But I'm warning you, if I'm getting addicted to this mmo as well and get thrown out by the wife, I'm gonna come live in your garage!

Reactions: Gambit

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
So if that is truly souls combat and WoW mixed.... Damn you!! I might have to sign up and see for myself. But I'm warning you, if I'm getting addicted to this mmo as well and get thrown out by the wife, I'm gonna come live in your garage!
That would be awesome!

Ill make palacsinta every day!

• Glorious

Rear_Intruder

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 9, 2017
RSI Handle
Rear_Intruder
The Glorious Leader, also stated that one of the reasons for playing was because the Lumberyard Engine being used for SQ42. I was interested in this also.

First I have a question, Is the PTU not also using Lumberyard?

I can only make two observations;
The first is that pop up was visible but was not too bad,
2nd As far as I could tell you could not see how many folk were in your server, I did read that you could only form parties of 50 players which I suppose is the same as SC is now, so that may be a limitation of the engine.

Gambits comment above "This surely isn't a game that forgives connection lag... " is also worth thinking about if the PTU will be using it.

Last edited:

Gambit

Space Marshal
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Gambit
is also worth thinking about if the PTU will be using it.
Yeah, right? I don't follow ping as close in SC and I have not felt much negative effects (unlike New World). Certainly visible when fighting in first person, some teleporting and whatnot... but an important thing to consider for sure

Hybus

Space Marshal
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Hybus
Just remember, you can't beat WoW by being WoW, you need to have something different enough to draw people in AND have enough end game content to hold their attention, otherwise you get a spurt of 6 month subs between bliz xpacs.

Forgot your password?