About losing a real money purchased item without insurance

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Enjoy!!!

(Basically you can not lose your purchased items!!!! Neither without insurance. Just it is more expensive to recover if so)
So they are saying it will cost more up to the value of just buying a new ship. So no you don't technically need to find a seller of said ship but who knows if it will be marketable cheaper.

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
Well I can't say I'm not a bit disappointed in that decision. If you're not willing to pay the small insurance fee and you let it expire then you deserve to lose it permanently. You're buying ships atm to fund the game as a pledge, not permanent things.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
What an unfortunate way to explain how it works. I gotta say, I do not like the way insurance is developing. You won't lose your ship, it won't be removed from your account, but you won't be able to use it until you "pay more". What's the difference between "you won't be able to use the ship" and removing the ship from your inventory?

I do not like this. Pay more? that's kind of arbitrary thing to say. Pay more what? Money? UEC? How much more? just a minor fee? Or do I need to pay the retail price for the ship? That's what it sounds like.

Problem here is LTI. People who don't have to pay insurance premiums on their ships BECAUSE they had the financial resources in the real world, to buy a ship during a limited time window. They also often paid less for their ship because it was offered at a special price during the LTI window. Yes, some people say, You get your ship back, but you have to wait and you'll still have to pay for the customizations. Batman, you got your ship back, and that other guy over there - he had to pay more to get his back.

I'm saying this is not fair, it's not a level playing field from the start - and most of my ship inventory has LTI. I say, there needs to be some in-game mechanic that allows a player in the situation of not having any ship, to have one, without paying more. Otherwise, Star Citizen is Pay-To-Win. Period. Rich guys win because they can jump on LTI, poor guys who just want to play the game lose, cuz they're suckers.

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
What an unfortunate way to explain how it works. I gotta say, I do not like the way insurance is developing. You won't lose your ship, it won't be removed from your account, but you won't be able to use it until you "pay more". What's the difference between "you won't be able to use the ship" and removing the ship from your inventory?

I do not like this. Pay more? that's kind of arbitrary thing to say. Pay more what? Money? UEC? How much more? just a minor fee? Or do I need to pay the retail price for the ship? That's what it sounds like.

Problem here is LTI. People who don't have to pay insurance premiums on their ships BECAUSE they had the financial resources in the real world, to buy a ship during a limited time window. They also often paid less for their ship because it was offered at a special price during the LTI window. Yes, some people say, You get your ship back, but you have to wait and you'll still have to pay for the customizations. Batman, you got your ship back, and that other guy over there - he had to pay more to get his back.

I'm saying this is not fair, it's not a level playing field from the start - and most of my ship inventory has LTI. I say, there needs to be some in-game mechanic that allows a player in the situation of not having any ship, to have one, without paying more. Otherwise, Star Citizen is Pay-To-Win. Period. Rich guys win because they can jump on LTI, poor guys who just want to play the game lose, cuz they're suckers.
Know how they're gonna make LTI worthless? Release a new 'model' of a ship in game you can only get for UEC once we reach a 'feature complete' game after Beta. It'll be slightly tuned up a bit over what we can buy now. People will want to get the 'new thing' and will put their real money ships into mothballs, especially if insrance turns out to be as low cost as Chris says it will be.

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca
Know how they're gonna make LTI worthless? Release a new 'model' of a ship in game you can only get for UEC once we reach a 'feature complete' game after Beta. It'll be slightly tuned up a bit over what we can buy now. People will want to get the 'new thing' and will put their real money ships into mothballs, especially if insrance turns out to be as low cost as Chris says it will be.
Exactly how i would do this.

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
LTI is just a status symbol that I coincidentally have on all three of my ships

if I could paint UEE Citizen Record #19866 on them I would

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane

Unless I'm not understanding you correctly, you are stating that those of us who are backing the game while it is in development don't deserve some sort of additional benefit in game over those who willingly choose to wait until it is complete & released in full?

How the hell is this pay to win when all of the ships will be available to obtain in game with time & effort? Everybody starts with a starter ship that they chose & by the time that ships insurance runs out, they should have either upgraded to a new ship or purchased a new ship. Also, once the game goes live, there will be missions that can be run without the use of your own ship by helping crew other ships as well as other various tasks that don't require the use of a ship of your own.

They have stated that the cost of insurance on ships will be minor. All you have to do is remember to keep up with it. If you can't remember to keep up with that & your ship gets destroyed, then you deserve to loose your ship entirely. (Just as you would in RL with any vehicle.) All LTI covers is the basic items that initially came with the ship when purchased legally 1 way or another. Stolen ships can't be insured by anybody other than its rightful owner.

Anybody can sign up an account for free now & can become a backer fully with the purchase of any starter pack. Between then & the full Beta release (which will be quite a while), they can always wait for an affordable new concept ship to be released for initial sale that can then later be CCU'd up to whatever ship they want for the most part to have that ship with LTI. CIG is releasing new concept ships about every other month or so of various price ranges. So there is no excuse for people to cry "pay-to-win" as we are paying to help cover the cost of the development of the game for the benefit of those who choose to wait.

LTI is just a status symbol
I completely agree with this.

Nightlane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 26, 2017
RSI Handle
Nightlane
So they are saying it will cost more up to the value of just buying a new ship. So no you don't technically need to find a seller of said ship but who knows if it will be marketable cheaper.
I think she was talking about more expensive than with the insurance system.

It makes no sense if the ship is more expensive than a regular one.

Last edited:

Nightlane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 26, 2017
RSI Handle
Nightlane
Well I can't say I'm not a bit disappointed in that decision. If you're not willing to pay the small insurance fee and you let it expire then you deserve to lose it permanently. You're buying ships atm to fund the game as a pledge, not permanent things.
Wrong. We are buying virtual objects. To just donate you shoulduse the “donate” button.

Nightlane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 26, 2017
RSI Handle
Nightlane

So offtopic... We talking about a different game. This is an Star Citizen forum, not an StarCitizenAsDescribedByTheFriendOfTheFriendOfTheFriendWithoutEverResearchingItself forum, AFAIK. Please correct me if it is otherwise.

* Pay more I guess it will be with UECs, of course. I am going to try to confirm this.
* LTI do not save you to pay the insurance premiums to get your ship faster. It only saves you to pay the monthly fee (which cost the equivalent to one mission, pretty cheap).
* everybody pays for customizations.
Being the insurance monthly payment so cheap it is a negligible P2W margin.

I like how Star Citizen works, besides the payForUECs maybe. Pay for thing is like an accelerator, a way to save me from farming.

I already farm everyday, as I have a JOB. Also I have a child to take care of. I do not drink, nor smoke, nor have frivolous hobbies besides the computer and board/tabletop games.

Your position is pretty immature. I am pretty sure the “P2W” allegations vs Star Citizen are from people not willing to expend when they could. By example, do you have a job or other responsibilities? Do you expend cash in drinking or smoking crap? Or going out to parties? Or maybe you have a thousand dollars byke?

In my case I have some money, but not time. With your logic I could argue you are a T2W (Time2Win) and cry all over all day.

“Why Jhonny can play all day long when I can play only half an hour! IT IS NOT FAIR!! CIG PLEASE LIMIT THE GAME TIME TO HALF AN HOUR PER DAY!!!”

And we have not talked about 4k vs 1080 or 30 vs 240hz or better internet connections or closer servers. The sources of conflict would be neverending.

If you are an student, bad luck about the money, but you are lucky about having lot of time to expend... you would be a “big expender” (of time) ;-p.

Time is relatively equivalent to money.

I would not argue about P2W for those with money AND time to expend. But I hope they are a minority. And besides that, the game will be balanced.

Nightlane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 26, 2017
RSI Handle
Nightlane
Unless I'm not understanding you correctly, you are stating that those of us who are backing the game while it is in development don't deserve some sort of additional benefit in game over those who willingly choose to wait until it is complete & released in full?

How the hell is this pay to win when all of the ships will be available to obtain in game with time & effort? Everybody starts with a starter ship that they chose & by the time that ships insurance runs out, they should have either upgraded to a new ship or purchased a new ship. Also, once the game goes live, there will be missions that can be run without the use of your own ship by helping crew other ships as well as other various tasks that don't require the use of a ship of your own.

They have stated that the cost of insurance on ships will be minor. All you have to do is remember to keep up with it. If you can't remember to keep up with that & your ship gets destroyed, then you deserve to loose your ship entirely. (Just as you would in RL with any vehicle.) All LTI covers is the basic items that initially came with the ship when purchased legally 1 way or another. Stolen ships can't be insured by anybody other than its rightful owner.

Anybody can sign up an account for free now & can become a backer fully with the purchase of any starter pack. Between then & the full Beta release (which will be quite a while), they can always wait for an affordable new concept ship to be released for initial sale that can then later be CCU'd up to whatever ship they want for the most part to have that ship with LTI. CIG is releasing new concept ships about every other month or so of various price ranges. So there is no excuse for people to cry "pay-to-win" as we are paying to help cover the cost of the development of the game for the benefit of those who choose to wait.

I completely agree with this.
I have read in the transcription of a CIG video that there will be something like insurance for pirates, so... but I guess there will be worse anyway and besides being stolen goods you can be prosecuted for, of course.

Nightlane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 26, 2017
RSI Handle
Nightlane
LTI is just a status symbol that I coincidentally have on all three of my ships

if I could paint UEE Citizen Record #19866 on them I would
I really was looking desperately for LTI because I was afraid of losing the paid ship because of my easy forgetting... (I doubt CIG would implement anything to forbid me to fly non-insurances ships...)

Takeiteasy

Admiral
May 21, 2017
RSI Handle
Takeiteasy
This is exactly how they have described it and I think I even mentioned this would likely be the way they implement, not saying I thought of it first it's just the general consensus of how people.think it should be implemented fairly.

Yes you still have the ownership of the ship and it costs more to replace than having kept up the insurance which is nice for all backers as instead of having the insurance fee at about a few missions or so it might be 5 or 6 missions, so yes, be careful with no insurance ships or just buy insurance.

LTI don't have this inconvenience which is what we bought all along.

How can this upset people?

It's exactly as we and everyone's thought it would be in game.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
You guys are funny. I'm not complaining about LTI. I have LTI on most of my ship inventory.

I am saying that if there is no in game mechanic that someone without insurance could use to get a ship back, then that is not a level playing field when compared with LTI. It's a financial issue, not a game issue. LTI is not limited to the original backers as it was intended, it's generally available during relatively short windows, that you have to have the money for during that window - despite the Insurance FAQ insisting it will not be.

However, I needn't worry, it turns out, there is an in game mechanic, and you will not need to pay real money. The CIG employee who said, "you need to pay more" should go and read the Insurance FAQ. CIG should also update the insurance FAQ with how the mechanic really works for LTI.

Last edited:
Forgot your password?