Adding an SSD to a PC...

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Hi chums,

I've got an SSD with 120gb running everything and I am concerned it's going to run out of space in a few patches time...

I have an old 120GB 2.5" Sandisk Ultra SSD in a netbook I put in, but the netbook is now more-or-less expired.

I know I can format the SSD, but is it worth putting the 2.5" in the PC or would I serve myself better just getting 3.5" 120gb/256gb from somewhere? I have previously copied a HD over to another HD so have the ability to do that but don't want to spend the earth, because I'm cheap and the PC is old anyway...

All comments appreciated :)

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Yes. All SSDs are 2.5" anyway can't get 3.5" ones.

I run multiple SSDs and put different things on each one - slap it in and use the 120GB to install star citizen on and another game or two that'll free up 50+gb on your windows SSD so you can run that PC for longer without replacing anything.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Don't forget you can also with windows 10 add all the hard drives into one logical volume so that it shows up as a single drive. It doesn't give you the speed boost that stripping gives but it does allow you to easily add more drives to the volume group as well as more easily utilize more of the disk space.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-create-one-large-volume-using-multiple-hard-drives-windows-10
Neat, many thanks :slight_smile:

I'm just waiting for a mount and SATA cable to arrive in the post and that should be me ready to roll.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Don't forget you can also with windows 10 add all the hard drives into one logical volume so that it shows up as a single drive. It doesn't give you the speed boost that stripping gives but it does allow you to easily add more drives to the volume group as well as more easily utilize more of the disk space.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-create-one-large-volume-using-multiple-hard-drives-windows-10
Be really careful with that! If one drive fails, you lose all the data on all the drives!

From that article:
The only caveat with these solutions is that you cannot use hard drives containing a Windows installation as the operating system can't boot from a Dynamic disk. In addition, both Spanned and Striped volumes do not use parity, which means they the don't provide fault tolerance — if one drive fails you will lose the data on all hard drives —so make sure to create regular backups of your computer.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Be really careful with that! If one drive fails, you lose all the data on all the drives!
Sort of true. Because the files are spanned and not stripped its far more likely to recover the files not on the failed disk using a NTFS recovery tool. While files written on the span edge plus fragmentation could cause some files data to span multiple disk most data would either be on the failed disk or safe on the remaining disks. But either way there is no fault protection just as if they were stand alone.

Reactions: Talonsbane

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Well, that worked a treat!

I had an old HDD caddy so it was easy enough to take the SSD out of the netbook and format it, it just took a few days for the 2.5" to 3.5" converter and SATA cable to arrive from off of the internet and plugged it all up. All done, good as gold.

The hardest part was reinstalling SC on the new drive because pulling it across from the C drive failed epically, so I installed the downloader in E drive and then let it install over night.

Now I have plenty of space in C and plenty in E - Jobs a good'un!

Forgot your password?