Advice on Cat upgrading please

Chip Hazzard

Space Marshal
Jan 1, 2018
RSI Handle
ChipHazzard
Hi you glorious lot!

So, I am looking to upgrade the Caterpillar as I am not really going to be doing much hauling of large good. So was looking for some advice on ships I could upgrade it too?

I am mainly going to focus on Bounty Hunting/Merc/Search & Rescue type of stuff (with a bit of exploration/salvage when I fancy a bit of a change). I will most likely be running solo for the majority of the time, so didn't know if there was any ships that I could upgrade the CAT to?

My fleet at the mo stands at (made up from Drake Scourge Pack and the Scoundrel Pack):

Caterpillar - Want to upgrade
Vanguard Sentinel - Merc
Mercury Star Runner - Cargo runs / Data / Bit of fun
Corsair - Exploration / BH / Cargo
Vulture - Salvage
Cutlass Red - Search & Rescue
Apollo Triage - Search & Rescue
Cutlass Black (going to upgrade to Blue when it's available) - BH
Hawk - BH
Dragonfly / Ranger - Ground work

Thanks for any help :like:

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Hmmmm, Caterpillar upgrade for bounty hunting eh?
Honestly the Cat will probably be a beast once they implement modules for her. She's a great ship, and will eventually be an amazing all-rounder.

Other wise, maybe the Valkyrie, Carrack, Aquila, Prowler. Anything can be a bounty hunting ship. Or a home base.

Chip Hazzard

Space Marshal
Jan 1, 2018
RSI Handle
ChipHazzard
Hmmmm, Caterpillar upgrade for bounty hunting eh?
Honestly the Cat will probably be a beast once they implement modules for her. She's a great ship, and will eventually be an amazing all-rounder.

Other wise, maybe the Valkyrie, Carrack, Aquila, Prowler. Anything can be a bounty hunting ship. Or a home base.
No worries, I was just seeing if there was something that I had obviously not considered :like:

Last edited:

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Considering also the other ship you have I'll go for the Valkyrie, it allow you to do both Bh and serarch & rescue since it can carry a smal veicle and drop a lot of cannon fodder (20 man + 3 in a Cyclon TR, plus 4 turret gunner and the pilot...).
It will be a great ship to pull off people paying people from hot zone, and can drop the hell on those pirate hideout to take care of your bounty, and when the prison pod will became a simple optional for cargo holds you could have a lots of them in there.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Given that you seem to like the Drake aesthetic, you could melt her down & use the funds as partial payment on a new version a Drake ship that is scheduled to arrive on the 30th. I heard rumors that it's like a supersized BMM.

Chip Hazzard

Space Marshal
Jan 1, 2018
RSI Handle
ChipHazzard
Considering also the other ship you have I'll go for the Valkyrie, it allow you to do both Bh and serarch & rescue since it can carry a smal veicle and drop a lot of cannon fodder (20 man + 3 in a Cyclon TR, plus 4 turret gunner and the pilot...).
It will be a great ship to pull off people paying people from hot zone, and can drop the hell on those pirate hideout to take care of your bounty, and when the prison pod will became a simple optional for cargo holds you could have a lots of them in there.
This is a cool idea, do you reckon you could you solo the Valkyrie half effectively? Just thinking about all the turrets. Would it have enough computer space to blade them?

Chip Hazzard

Space Marshal
Jan 1, 2018
RSI Handle
ChipHazzard
Given that you seem to like the Drake aesthetic, you could melt her down & use the funds as partial payment on a new version a Drake ship that is scheduled to arrive on the 30th. I heard rumors that it's like a supersized BMM.
The Caterpillar is part of the Scoundrel Pack, so can't melt the individual ship unfortunately.
Is that the Kraken with shops in it?

Chip Hazzard

Space Marshal
Jan 1, 2018
RSI Handle
ChipHazzard
I just upgraded my Cat in the scoundrel pack to a Carrack, almost as much cargo, exploration, snub craft, drones,
Was thinking of doing that, but wasn't sure if the Carrack would work solo?

Yes it is. LoL I'm spending between now & the 30th to decide if I want to melt my Emerald Phoenix pack to get that modified Kraken. I've already got a BMM though.
Nice! I would probably get lost in it trying to get to the bridge! Lol

Esctasy

Admiral
Donor
Nov 28, 2018
RSI Handle
Esctasy
You can upgrade the cat to the eclipse for $5. The Eclipse is good for when you have to take out 2 or 3 medium ships or ships with S3 shields. They will one shot the tali and anything smaller. Freelancers, Cutlasses, Connies, Valk, ect. You can fire at max range before detection around over 15km away. PVE wise, I've never missed a target at that range. I can't speak for PVP because I never fired one of those thing into someone else.

The bounty missions with the Caterpillar, you wouldn't be able to complete it with any of your ships except maybe the Corsair. But it's a 2 shot from the Eclipse. Same goes with the HH, all your ships are useless against the HH because its shields recharges so fast, but the Eclipse will cripple the HH with 3 shots, you still can't kill it but you could if you team up with 1 or 2 more people.

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
Some of the ships that are CCU-able to the Cat and my thoughts. Left out the bulk haulers since it seems like that's not up your alley.

Starfarer: Good fleet support and moneymaker, bizarrely packs oodles more firepower than the Caterpillar despite the Caterpillar being billed as the Starfarer's evil twin. Wack.

Crucible: Repairing other peoples ships will win you lots of friends, and it can even haul around a small ship like your Hawk.

Valkyrie: If you need 20 people to go from Point A to point B with lots of enemy prejudice in the way, look no further.

Prowler: Beautiful, sleek, and very pricey for what you get. But goddamn if you want to sneak people into someplace and kick down doors she's your girl.

Chip Hazzard

Space Marshal
Jan 1, 2018
RSI Handle
ChipHazzard
You can upgrade the cat to the eclipse for $5. The Eclipse is good for when you have to take out 2 or 3 medium ships or ships with S3 shields. They will one shot the tali and anything smaller. Freelancers, Cutlasses, Connies, Valk, ect. You can fire at max range before detection around over 15km away. PVE wise, I've never missed a target at that range. I can't speak for PVP because I never fired one of those thing into someone else.

The bounty missions with the Caterpillar, you wouldn't be able to complete it with any of your ships except maybe the Corsair. But it's a 2 shot from the Eclipse. Same goes with the HH, all your ships are useless against the HH because its shields recharges so fast, but the Eclipse will cripple the HH with 3 shots, you still can't kill it but you could if you team up with 1 or 2 more people.
I was thinking more of when the proper BH mechanics are in (finding and capturing prey as well as killing). But yeah, Haha are a pain at the mo!!

Chip Hazzard

Space Marshal
Jan 1, 2018
RSI Handle
ChipHazzard
I'm going to be upgrading one of my cats to a C2
Nice! Doing massive drops!

Some of the ships that are CCU-able to the Cat and my thoughts. Left out the bulk haulers since it seems like that's not up your alley.

Starfarer: Good fleet support and moneymaker, bizarrely packs oodles more firepower than the Caterpillar despite the Caterpillar being billed as the Starfarer's evil twin. Wack.

Crucible: Repairing other peoples ships will win you lots of friends, and it can even haul around a small ship like your Hawk.

Valkyrie: If you need 20 people to go from Point A to point B with lots of enemy prejudice in the way, look no further.

Prowler: Beautiful, sleek, and very pricey for what you get. But goddamn if you want to sneak people into someplace and kick down doors she's your girl.
I honestly hadn't thought of those options! I wonder how much work you could get as a repair ship? Finding stranded ships and getting them to pay or you leave them?!

Forgot your password?