Aegis Vulcan (concept ship sale starting Feb 22)

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
Introducing the Aegis Vulcan (update Feb 22, 2018. Further updates will appear once the Q/A session has occurred.)

Repair, Rearm, Refuel

This is a 3 person ship, Pilot and two support Minimum crew is listed as 1, with 3 crew max. SCM speed is listed out at 210m/s making it a fast ship. Times from 0-max is currently unknown, That said, there are two main thrusters and two retro thrusters, plus 8 gimbaled thrusters for maneuvering. There are no VTOL thrusters, meaning that sustained hovering will be problematic once the thruster heat system is implemented in the game.

Weapons systems include 4xS2 max weapons, plus two Turrets with two guns each (size of weapons unknown, but probably S1 or S2)

There are multiple stations including Pilot, 2 turrets, and 2 drone control modules. There are 4 drones, but expected to be deployed 2 at a time with the others as spares. Supposedly, as you use them, you might bump into things, etc, and cause them to be damaged or destroyed. Each drone can do one thing, repair or rearm. You will need to bring the drones back to the ship in order change roles.

There is a living space including toilet, shower, a table, and food stations, along with beds. There is approximately 12 SCU of cargo storage for supplies. It is expected you will be out in the verse for extended period of time with this ship and the ship will support that.

There is an extended fuel tank mounted to the belly for holding fuel to give to others, but there is no mention of any type of refining or gathering equipment for fuel. That means you will need to purchase it at a station, or (maybe) be able to get it from a Starfarer to help distribute the workload. (the part after "(maybe)" is speculation, but reasonable speculation.

You enter the ship via a ramp in the back.

The equipment is all medium sized (Gravity Generator, Power Plant, Life support, Shield Generation, Radar, Avionics, Jump Drive, Quantum Drive, and a Cooler)
Additionally, there are 2 medium fuel intakes, 3 Medium Fuel tanks and 2 Medium Quantum Fuel Tanks. That means the Vulcan can completely refuel any vehicle with a medium tank, or 3 (I believe) small fuel tanks, while leaving it's own fuel alone.

The ship itself has multiple ramps and staircases. Overall, the ship is around Freelancer sized with a height of 10m, a beam of 16.5m and a length of 38.5m For comparison, the Freelancer is 9.5m high, 23.5m wide (a lot of that is the wing and engine assemblies) and 38m Long. I suspect the interior is slightly wider than the normal Freelancer, but all other areas match pretty close.

Designed to give a taste of the various careers (repair, refuel). Is the only one right now that can rearm at present. However, ships like the Polaris and Idris that can have smaller ships dock with them will be able to rearm them. However, some think this ship might also be able to carry armaments for ships like the Retaliator or even the Polaris itself. Right now this is speculation, and will need to be confirmed with CIG. Personally, I think the cargo space is too low for this. I think the Connie and other ships with bigger cargo bays will be the ships that carry the big torpedoes for rearming a ship like the Polaris.

The ship is very boxy, reflecting the design of the reclaimer.

All can get it starting Feb 22 through end of march is the planned pledge period (extended pledge period) 185 Warbond with 2 bonus skins in addition to the standard one, 200 non-warbond and no skins (for CCUs), and the 2 additional skins will cost you 10 bucks, allowing even those that CCU to get the skins.

new info, it will be more armored than a cutlass (which is approximately the same sized)

Last edited:

Devil Dog Hog

Space Marshal
Jan 28, 2016
RSI Handle
DevilDogHog
So it can refuel and repair, AND rearm . . . .itself? I mean, could this ship become the ultimate long range explorer/survival ship to go into the black with. Its got 12 SCU for you to load up supplies or possibly a small vehicle (nox, dragonfly . .. tumbril?), can you dip into the big fuel tank under its belly? Can the drones be dispatched with weapons to rearm yourself? Will there be a lot more variety of drones available like in eve (explore, combat, etc.). I think this ugly duckling has the potential to lay the golden egg.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
It was meant more as AAA in space (or CAA for the Canadians here) and an introduction to the service mechanic as well as a ship for smaller crews. Not sure if it can refuel itself, but with a star G and prospector it would be a formidable small explore fleet. Add a terrapin fo scanning and you are golden.

SullyQuindarius

Admiral
Dec 24, 2017
RSI Handle
SullyQuindarius
Is anyone willing to buy me a warbond Vulcan in exchange for $195 in store credit? I really want those extra skins and the flight suit, but I don't have $185 cash, just the $195 RSI credit that I had been saving for this sale.

Sraika

Space Marshal
Nov 7, 2017
RSI Handle
Sraika
It was meant more as AAA in space (or CAA for the Canadians here) and an introduction to the service mechanic as well as a ship for smaller crews. Not sure if it can refuel itself, but with a star G and prospector it would be a formidable small explore fleet. Add a terrapin fo scanning and you are golden.
I'd go with the regular starfarer over the gemini, since with the fuel scoop you likely wouldn't need to buy fuel at all. If you're in dangerous space, though, the gemini would indeed be more useful, except the prospector would be very vulnerable. The vulcan at least has some armour, even if it's not much.

So it can refuel and repair, AND rearm . . . .itself? I mean, could this ship become the ultimate long range explorer/survival ship to go into the black with. Its got 12 SCU for you to load up supplies or possibly a small vehicle (nox, dragonfly . .. tumbril?), can you dip into the big fuel tank under its belly? Can the drones be dispatched with weapons to rearm yourself? Will there be a lot more variety of drones available like in eve (explore, combat, etc.). I think this ugly duckling has the potential to lay the golden egg.
There's no reason you wouldn't be able to use the fuel tank, even if it was by using the drones to refuel itself. From the concept art, though, it looks like the fuel tank is hooked in to the rest of the ship.

As far as it being a 'starter ship', it seems vastly more expensive than any of the other starter ships. Sure, you get three professions (and, if you can use the drones for salvaging, four professions) but it seems like repairing is going to be more of a mid-game profession. You'll have to start off doing something else before you can actually afford one in game. (To a much greater extent than the other professions, i mean.)

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
I'd go with the regular starfarer over the gemini, since with the fuel scoop you likely wouldn't need to buy fuel at all. If you're in dangerous space, though, the gemini would indeed be more useful, except the prospector would be very vulnerable. The vulcan at least has some armour, even if it's not much.

There's no reason you wouldn't be able to use the fuel tank, even if it was by using the drones to refuel itself. From the concept art, though, it looks like the fuel tank is hooked in to the rest of the ship.

As far as it being a 'starter ship', it seems vastly more expensive than any of the other starter ships. Sure, you get three professions (and, if you can use the drones for salvaging, four professions) but it seems like repairing is going to be more of a mid-game profession. You'll have to start off doing something else before you can actually afford one in game. (To a much greater extent than the other professions, i mean.)
Couple of things

StarG comes with missiles and the fuel scoop. You can only equip one at a time, but you can scoop and refine fuel with the Star G.

The Starfarer cannot refuel itself from its tanks. There is no reason to assume that the Vulcan can do that either, but even if it can, it can't make fuel. That means for an "unlimited range" fleet, you need a fuel maker (thus the starfarer or star G). You need someone to fuel the Star G, make repairs, and rearm folks. You need an explorer, so the Terrapin. The 315, Dur, Aquila, or 600i(e) would also work, but I would use the Terrapin or the DUR depending on cargo/spacebike needs.) You need a miner to pull the needed minerals out of the ground needed to fuel the repair mechanisms. The Starfarer can also carry cargo for things you can't make or harvest for yourself (like ammo, maybe food). This would be what is needed for a "long duration" explore team that was always working together. It would require about 9 players minimum to pull it off, maybe a few less with NPCs, but no less than 5 PCs. I think that group could explore further than even a carrack.

As for starting ship. It's the starting profession ship. That price puts it in line with the Terrapin, which they just stated was the starting ship for the explorer profession. (don't know what the DUR or the 315 is then...but who knows)

Sraika

Space Marshal
Nov 7, 2017
RSI Handle
Sraika
Couple of things

StarG comes with missiles and the fuel scoop. You can only equip one at a time, but you can scoop and refine fuel with the Star G.

The Starfarer cannot refuel itself from its tanks. There is no reason to assume that the Vulcan can do that either, but even if it can, it can't make fuel. That means for an "unlimited range" fleet, you need a fuel maker (thus the starfarer or star G). You need someone to fuel the Star G, make repairs, and rearm folks. You need an explorer, so the Terrapin. The 315, Dur, Aquila, or 600i(e) would also work, but I would use the Terrapin or the DUR depending on cargo/spacebike needs.) You need a miner to pull the needed minerals out of the ground needed to fuel the repair mechanisms. The Starfarer can also carry cargo for things you can't make or harvest for yourself (like ammo, maybe food). This would be what is needed for a "long duration" explore team that was always working together. It would require about 9 players minimum to pull it off, maybe a few less with NPCs, but no less than 5 PCs. I think that group could explore further than even a carrack.

As for starting ship. It's the starting profession ship. That price puts it in line with the Terrapin, which they just stated was the starting ship for the explorer profession. (don't know what the DUR or the 315 is then...but who knows)
Ah, i hadnt realized that about the gemini. Should've gotten one of those, i guess. :grin:
I expect for the terrapin they meant it was the starter purpose-built exploration ship, whereas the 315/DUR are just refits. Yeah. That makes sense. I'm sure they totally didn't just forget about them.

Plagueis

Admiral
Dec 3, 2016
RSI Handle
xPlagueisx
Couple of things

The Starfarer can refuel itself.

The Starfarer differs from traditional bulk freighters in one key way: it is a dedicated fuel platform. The Starfarer is designed not only to load, store and protect fuel stasis units, it is designed to take in spaceborne gases and refine them for use without landing. And while it excels at this, the Starfarer can also be used to ferry traditional bulk cargo pods. The listed Cargo Capacity is only for the dedicated cargo room and does not account for the extra space available from the bulk cargo pods.

Gemini
The UEE military uses an adapted rough and tumble Gemini variant of the Starfarer for their front-line operations, trading some cargo capacity and maneuverability for reinforced armor, increased shielding, more powerful engines and stronger manned turrets. The gemini also includes an optional missile pod, which can be swapped for the fuel intake unit on either Starfarer variant's nose. The listed cargo capacity is only for the dedicated cargo room and does not account for the extra space available from the bulk cargo pods.

Forgot your password?