another new monitor

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
https://www.engadget.com/2017/08/30/alienware-34-inch-widescreen-gaming-monitors/

So I would love to be able to glance to the side and see out the cockpit of a fighter, but I don't like the idea of two monitors since that would put a seam right dead center where you will shoot with fixed guns. If you had three of these things, and three good cards, can you set them up so you can see sideways? Would this actually create more situational awareness--you can see what otherwise you would not?

Reactions: marcsand2

DarthMunkee

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 28, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMunkee
Looks like it would be possible. I found a thread on Reddit that talks about using Eyefinity so you would have to use AMD for that method. I know there is a way to do it with Nvidia as well, I just don't remember what it is called at the moment. The only problem I see is that you would be spending a ton of money on monitors when you could be spending it on beer instead. Also, I don't think you would need 3 GPUs to run 3 monitors but an SLI or Crossfire setup probably wouldn't be a bad idea.

Link to Reddit thread https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4gpogz/3_monitor_setup/

Reactions: marcsand2

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
As a multi-monitor user, you dont have to have 3 cards for 3 monitors, and please please please dont go with alienware monitors....they make crap PCs, their monitors arnt going to be much better. I have 3 monitors, you CAN span the display so that you stretch the game across 3 screens. Being more situationally aware, maybe, depends on how good your peripherals are.

cerated

Captain
Sep 10, 2017
RSI Handle
cerated
This or nothing. You can do this with hdmi, but right now the best way is with display port. You will certainly need to be running gsync on nvidia or freesync with amd lots of cards only have 2 display port necessitating a 2nd card, but if you want to crank out at 3440 x 1440 per monitor on three monitors you will need a good bit of gpu performance possibly dual gtx 1080's. i'm going to try and power one of these with an overclocked 1070 strix and apparently it might struggle to power a single one of these monitors at high settings.

These two monitors are delicious
https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/predator-model/UM.CX0EE.A01
https://www.asus.com/uk/Monitors/ROG-SWIFT-PG348Q/

I'm leaning towards the Acer just because I want vesa mounts.

DarthMunkee

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 28, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMunkee
As a multi-monitor user, you dont have to have 3 cards for 3 monitors, and please please please dont go with alienware monitors....they make crap PCs, their monitors arnt going to be much better. I have 3 monitors, you CAN span the display so that you stretch the game across 3 screens. Being more situationally aware, maybe, depends on how good your peripherals are.
I wouldn't completely discount Alienware anymore. They are owned by Dell and their products have been getting better reviews in the past couple of years. Mainly their monitors, they are made by Dell and just have the Alienware branding on them and I know first hand that Dell monitors are good for the money.

Reactions: Stevetank

Stevetank

Lead Aurora Theorycrafter
Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank
I wouldn't completely discount Alienware anymore. They are owned by Dell and their products have been getting better reviews in the past couple of years. Mainly their monitors, they are made by Dell and just have the Alienware branding on them and I know first hand that Dell monitors are good for the money.
Agreed. Dell monitors are affordable and reliable. I use 2 at home and they were made at least 5 years ago. Maybe even 7. They have no dead pixels and still run like new. No burns, fades, or noticable wear.

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
alienware is still overpriced horse puckey

Reactions: Sirus7264

cerated

Captain
Sep 10, 2017
RSI Handle
cerated
Dell is decent they do well in a number of reviews; however Alienware is traditionally overpriced for what you get in comparison with other brands such as Acer, ASUS, BENQ and others. Heck LG and Samsung which you'd not normally think to turn to for "gaming" monitors make some good stuff. It is interesting the Alienware is pushing a 120hz OC as the acer and asus can only hit 100hz OC, but they are older models now. think i'd still go for an ASUS or Acer though as their QA and manufacturing should be settled in by now. Also I can get one for a good bit less than this Alienware one. In the end though all of them produce a stunning image and look sexy.

Reactions: DarthMunkee

Ninjafoof

Commander
Sep 12, 2017
RSI Handle
Ninjafoof
I currently have an LG 34uc87c, which is a 21:9, 3440x1440 @ 60hz monitor, and I absolutely love it. I also have:

i7 5920k @ 4.3ghz
Corsair h100i v2
16gb RAM
(2x) MSI GTX 970 in SLI, both OC'd to 1478 or so

My rig is in the beautiful Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX. And let me tell you this- even with my rig, I struggle to get 60fps @1440p in most games, and especially while trying to keep the heat down. If I'm playing something like Ghost Recon: Wildlands or ME: Andromeda, I can easily hit 90c on both GPU's and 60c on CPU on a hot day. so for 3, you'll need one helluva powerful rig, plus some insane cooling.
20170918_150611_HDR.jpg

Reactions: cerated

cerated

Captain
Sep 10, 2017
RSI Handle
cerated
I currently have an LG 34uc87c, which is a 21:9, 3440x1440 @ 60hz monitor, and I absolutely love it. I also have:

i7 5920k @ 4.3ghz
Corsair h100i v2
16gb RAM

My rig is in the beautiful Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX. And let me tell you this- even with my rig, I struggle to get 60fps @1440p in most games, and especially while trying to keep the heat down. If I'm playing something like Ghost Recon: Wildlands or ME: Andromeda, I can easily hit 90c on both GPU's and 60c on CPU on a hot day. so for 3, you'll need one helluva powerful rig, plus some insane cooling. View attachment 7527
In the end cooling can be bottlenecked by the ambient room temp so crank that ac up you have there. Unless your one of those guys trying to do a liquid nitrogen cooling configuration and that is insane cooling.

Reactions: Shadow Reaper

DarthMunkee

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 28, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMunkee

i7 5920k @ 4.3ghz
Corsair h100i v2
16gb RAM

My rig is in the beautiful Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX. And let me tell you this- even with my rig, I struggle to get 60fps @1440p in most games, and especially while trying to keep the heat down. If I'm playing something like Ghost Recon: Wildlands or ME: Andromeda, I can easily hit 90c on both GPU's and 60c on CPU on a hot day. so for 3, you'll need one helluva powerful rig, plus some insane cooling. View attachment 7527
I used to run 2 Strix 970s in SLI at 1080p and would usually sit around 80-85c on both of those games so you probably aren't too far outside the norm. I also didn't have the fans in the top, just the 2 for the rad in the front and an exhaust in the back.

Takeiteasy

Admiral
May 21, 2017
RSI Handle
Takeiteasy
I was thinking of a second monitor, is it worth just two monitors? I'm a bit skint so can't go for three yet, how would playing with two monitors work out?

I have a good pc with a 1080 gtx

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
If you had three of these things, and three good cards, can you set them up so you can see sideways? Would this actually create more situational awareness--you can see what otherwise you would not?
Yes, you definitively can see sideways. My setup is a 28" center screen and 2 24" side screens, all three 1920x1200. To get a good sideway view, the displays are at arm length. The side displays are at a 45 degree angle to the main display. Curved screens have a minimal curve, they are designed for a bigger distance, but when the screens are at a bigger distance, you will see everything, also the stretching on the side displays. If I want to see sideways, I turn my head. At a close distance I still register movement on the side screens, but my focus lies on the main screen. TrackIR enhances the sidewaylooking experience.
The big disadvantage are the bezels. The side displays and top display I got for free, no complaining here. The main display I had not a lot off choice, 28" 1920x1200 aren't produced anymore since 4-5 years but I wanted matching resolution and not too big difference in screen size between main and side screens.

Considering ships show on scanners before they are visible, i'd say probably not.
Asteroids don't show up on your scanners :wink:

As a multi-monitor user, you dont have to have 3 cards for 3 monitors
Yeap, I have a GTX970 with the 3 screens at 1920x1200 and a 4th screen on top for discord at 1680x1050. My max framerate in PU is 30FPS, but it is ok.

Looks like it would be possible. I found a thread on Reddit that talks about using Eyefinity so you would have to use AMD for that method. I know there is a way to do it with Nvidia as well, I just don't remember what it is called at the moment. The only problem I see is that you would be spending a ton of money on monitors when you could be spending it on beer instead. Also, I don't think you would need 3 GPUs to run 3 monitors but an SLI or Crossfire setup probably wouldn't be a bad idea.
The bid disadvantage of eyefinity and 3d surround is that you are creating one big display. Also all screens have to be the same resolution, otherwise the bigger screens will be scaled down to the smallest resolution. The best option I found was using borderless windowed mode. That way you still can use your standard multi monitor desktop and only use a few FPS. My first setup was a 27" 1920x1080, 2x 19" 1280x1024 side displays and a 19"1280x1024 top display. Crap if you have to scale down your main display.

This or nothing.
This looks really awesome!!!! But more then 45 degrees turning your head will be exhausting

This was my setup with the 27" 1920x1080 main display and 2 24" 1920x1200 scaled down to 1920x1080 side displays.

View: https://imgur.com/mpq8Wg6

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
I was thinking of a second monitor, is it worth just two monitors? I'm a bit skint so can't go for three yet, how would playing with two monitors work out?

I have a good pc with a 1080 gtx
A second monitor only will be usable for communication, discord, whatever. I you use 2 displays to play, the bezels will be in the middle.

Reactions: Shadow Reaper
Forgot your password?