Another Team Canada Aurora Pilot

Ted Easton

Lieutenant
Feb 11, 2014
RSI Handle
Easton
Where you from stranger?
Montreal, Quebec. I'm a grad student wasting valuable research time gaming.

What drew you to Star Citizen?
Long history of games looking for one like this. Pax Imperia, Alpha Centauri, Sins of a Solar Empire, Planetside 2. I love the multiplayer aspect of games most, the TEST community has been great in PS2, and I'd love to combine the two. Plus explosions.

What do you look forward to most in Star Citizen? (PVP, Exploration, etc)
Coordinated mass operations and PvP. I enjoy contributing to a wider strategy as best I can.

What was the first game you remember playing?
Doom? Warcraft 2? That math game where you are a hiker going up a mountain and elves pose you riddles?

What other games do you play?
Planetside 2, Starbound, Minecraft, Civ 5, Crusader Kings 2, Europa Universalis IV, DayZ

Picard or Kirk?
Picard.

Reactions: zeddie

Walex

Space Marshal
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Walex
I'm a grad student wasting valuable research time gaming.
Yay! Now you've perfectly described me haha! My labmates usually go home after work and on the weekends and read journal articles before bed... I definitely need to do something else besides science as a release or I'd go crazy! What department/field/cluster are you in?

What drew you to Star Citizen?
Long history of games looking for one like this. Alpha Centauri[/quote]

I'm nostalgiaing all over. I absolutely loved the lore and the unique faction philosophies in that game. Going back and reading the quotes attached to the discoveries, I missed a lot playing it in middle school.

How the technocracy starts to sound more and more like a religion as they attempt the unite with a living planet:
"Imagine the entire contents of the planetary datalinks, the sum total of human knowledge, blasted into the Planetmind's fragile neural network with the full force of every reactor on the planet. That is our last-ditch attempt to win humanity a reprieve from extinction at the hands of an awakened alien god."

And how the leader of the religious faction starts to think increasingly more logically:
"Already we have turned all of our critical industries, all of our material resources, over to these...things...these lumps of silver and paste we call nanorobots. And now we propose to teach them intelligence? What, pray tell, will we do when these little homunculi awaken one day announce that they have no further need for us?"

Shit still gives me chills to this day.

The rest of them!

JoeCool4433

Wisdom-Master
Donor
Nov 20, 2013
RSI Handle
JoeCool777
Welcome! Glad you decided to spend your time with us instead of curing diseases or finding a better way to build things or whatever you're researching :P

Reactions: Ted Easton

Ted Easton

Lieutenant
Feb 11, 2014
RSI Handle
Easton
What department/field/cluster are you in?

...the hands of an awakened alien god."
My field may not be quite as lab-heavy as some, but it devours your time nonetheless! I'm a grad student in urban planning, focusing on urban transportation systems and land use planning.

I have way too many games on Steam related to the field. SimCity (most of them), Sid Meier's Railroads, Cities XL, Cities in Motion...no wonder games like Star Citizen start to sound more appealing. It's so much easier to blow shit up than to worry about where you're building it!

I loved a lot of the Civ 4 quotes done by Nimoy. He had such an excellent annunciation.

Reactions: Walex

zeddie

Space Marshal
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Test-Dummy
McGill! Where in this fine city do you call home?
I went to a couple... did Actuariat at UdeM, then a bit of Accounting at McGill... now am Independent at Concordia, but planning on going into Comp Sci. Although, I work full time in St-Laurent so it's really part time that I take classes... I live around Namur.

Walex

Space Marshal
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Walex
My field may not be quite as lab-heavy as some, but it devours your time nonetheless! I'm a grad student in urban planning, focusing on urban transportation systems and land use planning.

I have way too many games on Steam related to the field. SimCity (most of them), Sid Meier's Railroads, Cities XL, Cities in Motion...no wonder games like Star Citizen start to sound more appealing. It's so much easier to blow shit up than to worry about where you're building it!

I loved a lot of the Civ 4 quotes done by Nimoy. He had such an excellent annunciation.
Small world. My dad is a city planner and has always loved the SimCity games. He even bought SimCity:Societies (shudder!). I remember him explaining NIMBYs to me with the original SimCity on my grandmother's Macintosh Classic.

I think I most enjoyed SimCity 2000 and especially liked flying around my cities (and destroying them) with SimCopter. I wondered if I should get him CitiesXL on the cheap.

Do you think you'll try to get a job at a big planning department for a large city or try to go for a small town? I'm guessing that will depend on what specific area you specialize in?

I also went as one my dad's guest to the APA (I know you're a Canadian planing student) convention in Chicago last March. As much as I might have doubted it, those planners know how to party. And there were quite a lot of grad students there. It marked the tirst time I'd ever seen my dad smashed to the point that I had to keep him from wondering off the bus at the wrong stop on the way home.

Ted Easton

Lieutenant
Feb 11, 2014
RSI Handle
Easton
Do you think you'll try to get a job at a big planning department for a large city or try to go for a small town? I'm guessing that will depend on what specific area you specialize in?
No idea where the career will lead at this point. I'm in my last semester and working on my final research project, so the question is starting to loom large.

I also went as one my dad's guest to the APA (I know you're a Canadian planing student) convention in Chicago last March. As much as I might have doubted it, those planners know how to party. And there were quite a lot of grad students there. It marked the tirst time I'd ever seen my dad smashed to the point that I had to keep him from wondering off the bus at the wrong stop on the way home.
I have noticed that planners throw some good parties. I was at a conference last weekend that was a lot of fun, cramming in a lot of talks and presentations but plenty of fun afterwards. And your dad almost got off the bus at the wrong stop? That's poor planning on his part.

Ha. Planning. Get it?

Reactions: Walex

Walex

Space Marshal
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Walex
Hey welcome to TEST.

Is it vanilla or modded MC?
The previous multiplayer servers that I played on were all vanilla survial, but I've recently started playing with a friend hosting Tekkit Lite. Has a lot of the industrialization and automation/sorting, electrical/geothermal powered systems without getting into the space/future aspect too much. My favorite parts have been the dimension doors (pocket dimensions to link people's creations together/secret passages that don't involve the nether), the philosopher's stone/Equivalent Exchange (nice for converting between useful materials when you have a surplus), and especially Mystcraft (creating new worlds/Ages that have different properties within books and then adventuring/resource collecting in them).

What's your preference on vanilla vs modded MC, Munken?

Reactions: Munken

chrizz

Digital Janitor
Staff member
Officer
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
chrizz
I always had a tough time of it with Extra Bees, it is horribly difficult, but sometimes fun :D

Forgot your password?