Anthem called Early Access by Developers now

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheGame/comments/bgkgl3 View: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheGame/comments/bgkgl3/update_on_anthem_from_the_development_team/

Cant say im suprised, but this is what you get when people start allowing low standards and defend these prsctices. Companies will push and abuse consumers till they release less and less while maximizing profits more with less. I still dont know why people defended this game when EA has not stopped doing this for years. Developers under EA all fall under their trap and push out crappy games with these large premises of false hope of what never will be. They are now selling full price "complete games" and if people hate it they re-label it to make you believe it wasnt a full game and there will be blind followers that cant handle that something the wanted to love so much turned out to be crap and they were lied to. I honestly was hoping to be proved wrong and this game was to become what everyone was hoping it would be, but the early gameplay i saw lead me to believe things like this were going to happen. Please hold companies to higher standards so hopes and dreams of gamers who want amazing games get them as such.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
The worst thing at this point with Bioware is they have not even reached the apology stage.

After the Kotaku article we all had a pretty clear and concise picture of why things were the way they are.

If I was doing public relations at Bioware, the very next morning I would issue a release saying "We have failed you and lost your trust, but we will do everything we can to earn it back!".

Instead they pretended nothing happened and continue to skirt around the single biggest issue, the loot.

They know nothing about transparency or how to deal with a hostile fan base. Instead they saying "we hear you!" and then avoid contact.

It is clear they want to fix things, but the remaining community wants answers now, not a few weeks or months from now. If fixing the loot is not a simple task, then explain why! Its not really hard to do.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
I love Bioware, but this is the same shit they did with Mass Effect: Andromeda. I'm not sure if Bioware has no soul left, or if this is the result of EA being the evil overlord that owns them.
Its a mix of both.

We know that publishers turn the screws hard and need a solid release date for projects. There can't be indefinite delays or long periods of polish. However, with Anthem, it was 75% Bioware's fault, and the other 25% being EA forcing a hard deadline.

DorianSkyphire

Space Marshal
Nov 29, 2016
RSI Handle
DorianSkyphire
Told you all BioWare is a rotted corpse of a once great company.
That might be a bit dramatic. I'm confident they will come back from the ledge. it won't be easy, and god knows the fans will not likely be gracious when they do, but I'll be there, money in hand, if they pull it off! The best (thousands and thousands of) hours of my gaming life, have been spent in their games.

• Love
Reactions: Blind Owl

Harkonan

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Harkypoo
I hope they turn Anthem around. I finally got around to playing the game for a few and it truly is a visually stunning game.
While I don't actively buy tickets for the outrage train that seems to run 24/7 these days, it certainly isn't unwarranted.

Early Access was the death of in-house game testing, something that was an art form in itself back in the day. Ultimately developers aren't really to blame for this. Ultimately it's consumers "got to have it now" and instant pleasure reward mentality that made game states like Anthem even possible.

"If you build it, they will come" has turned into "If you place 3 paper plates in a triangle, they will still play ball" and anyone seeking profit is obviously going to abuse that mentality.

Last edited:

Wolfy

Space Kitty
Donor
Apr 27, 2017
RSI Handle
WolfytheWarlock
That might be a bit dramatic. I'm confident they will come back from the ledge. it won't be easy, and god knows the fans will not likely be gracious when they do, but I'll be there, money in hand, if they pull it off! The best (thousands and thousands of) hours of my gaming life, have been spent in their games.
I'm not at all confident. Not only are nearly all of the key developers from their original great games gone from the studio but EA continues to tighten down on how much control it exerts during their daily operation.

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
Seems i may have jumped the gun? I guess there was an Early Access launch for origin subscribers? Seems people are mad about the delays to though so i guess its still going rough regardless. Unironically though i think the game was actually in Early Access on release lol.

Last edited:

LoicFarris

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 1, 2019
RSI Handle
LoicFarris
Yeah, I have a friend who gave me grief the other day, he said... "You told me to buy Anthem so I did, you played with me 3 or 4 times and now all you play is Star Citizen. I'm going to cancel my Origin Access if you don't play with me soon!"

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
All I know is a bunch of us called this out early on and we were attacked for it, now after some articles are posted everyone understands why we were so frustrated and animated about the whole thing, we saw this for what it was an unfinished, unpolished beta test passed to the consumer at full price.

I love BioWare, yes they made a huge mistake whether that was their fault or EA's it doesn't matter its not just EA and BioWare doing this there are loads of companies selling crap to the consumer and banking on it by offering early release bonus rewards, season passes, early access etc.... were creating our own problems by buying these games before waiting on the reviews, I am as guilty as the next person I am eager to play them and bored off my ass so I spend money on a game I might not have paid full price for if I had known what the end game was going to be. If I had known 1 month into Anthem I would never play it again I never would have paid full price knowing how bad the end game is, period. Promises were made, video's were shown that were not in the game and that to me is just borderline fraud at this point.

Anyways, its sad but its only going to get worse as companies have figured out how to sell their junk without people knowing how bad it is till its to late, or we as consumers have to outsmart them and stop pre-ordering, pre-purchasing their junk until reliable reviews are made available and put it back on the companies to produce quality products.

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
All I know is a bunch of us called this out early on and we were attacked for it, now after some articles are posted everyone understands why we were so frustrated and animated about the whole thing, we saw this for what it was an unfinished, unpolished beta test passed to the consumer at full price.

I love BioWare, yes they made a huge mistake whether that was their fault or EA's it doesn't matter its not just EA and BioWare doing this there are loads of companies selling crap to the consumer and banking on it by offering early release bonus rewards, season passes, early access etc.... were creating our own problems by buying these games before waiting on the reviews, I am as guilty as the next person I am eager to play them and bored off my ass so I spend money on a game I might not have paid full price for if I had known what the end game was going to be. If I had known 1 month into Anthem I would never play it again I never would have paid full price knowing how bad the end game is, period. Promises were made, video's were shown that were not in the game and that to me is just borderline fraud at this point.

Anyways, its sad but its only going to get worse as companies have figured out how to sell their junk without people knowing how bad it is till its to late, or we as consumers have to outsmart them and stop pre-ordering, pre-purchasing their junk until reliable reviews are made available and put it back on the companies to produce quality products.
this is true, people were in disbelief and I wouldnt say attacked. That is a pretty stretch, we talked about it and there were people who disagreed with our views, no one attacked anyone.

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut

Call it what you want, you can go back through that thread and see it was a pretty hostile atmosphere with many accusations, I do find it funny though after its all said and done we were completely validated without so much as an apology lol. I was called a parrot, I was called a fail profit on another thread, cry babies etc..... I never attacked anyone personally yet was mocked and belittled many times because they didn't like people trashing a the game.

I have no hard feelings I just find it funny after all the stuff that has come out 2 months after the games release which many of us called out in the first 4 weeks.

Harkonan

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Harkypoo
Anthem definitely over promised. People have a tendency to see what they want to see, especially if it's something they find any enjoyment in.
But yeah, a lot of people thought it was going to have this MMO feel with cities and places that felt alive. Most of that was based on "game footage" that turned out to be pure CGI along with internet "spoilers".

After reading what happened, you're almost left with the sense that the game is incredible for the actual time put into it. I mean, if they can do that in 18 months, imagine what 6 years of development efficiency could have been. It's almost like ... they could have delivered what they were trying to promise (and more).

Again, I'm not really into the EA hate train. They're no saints ... and I get that. But there is also a large group of people who get outraged for the sake of being outraged when it comes to EA. Perfect example is Battlefront 2. The community complained so much (deservingly so) that EA was forced to rethink their strategy, and they changed it. It turned out to be a solid title in the end, yet there are still people who will tell you it's garbage and they'll never buy it or give it a second chance. All because of the initial problems that were ultimately short lived.

At this point, what is done is done. You can only hope Anthem goes the way of No Man Sky and manages to make a huge comeback. And if that's NOT their plan ... if they just want to half-ass all future content ... let the game die a gentle death.

Forgot your password?