Any one have any Scifi audiobook suggestions?

SilentB-TEST

Commander
Jan 24, 2017
RSI Handle
SilentB-TEST
I don't get much time to read but I listen to audiobooks whenever I can. Lately it has mostly been Marvel graphic audio books I have bought, DC audiobooks I find free on YouTube or Star Wars books I get through Audible. Since I am trying to save any spare cash for new ships any one have any suggestions for free audiobook entertainment? I stumbled across this https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/13837/ which seems pretty entertaining. I guess it is one of the early Star Citizen Lore stories that was posted and then recorded by a fan. Looks like there are a number more that were recorded I am going to check the rest of these out https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/31763/the-star-citizen-audiobook-hub-now-recording-a-separate-law#latest so what else out there is worth a listen?

Last edited:
Reactions: Riekopo

Floating Cloud

Space Marshal
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Floating_Cloud
Have a look at this thread regarding old radio plays that are available on the web. These may fit the bill, certainly they are are freely accessible:

https://testsquadron.com/threads/space-fans-should-enjoy-these-audio-theater-plays.8021/#post-121355

Now if you can consider 'low cost':

Amazon Kindle books via text to speech. Ok, for this to be cheap you do need to already own an Amazon device (Kindle tablet or phone) as they do not permit 'text to speech' on any other devices, but I listen to books for at least a couple of hours each workday during my commute. At 1.5x speed I find the speech quality to be excellent, and it doesn't interfere with my enjoyment of the material.

Personally I keep an Amazon wishlist that tends to hang around 400 kindle books, and check that every few days. Often these books are discounted down to one or two pounds as publishers try to push them up the charts, and that's when I buy them. Now the second string to this bow is that once you buy the kindle version you have a big discount offered on the 'Audible' human read version where one exists. So even if you do not own a Kindle device it is probably a cheap way to get audio books - just watch for discounted kindle books and buy that and the subsequently discounted associated audio book (typically £4 for the audio book - $5 to $6 I guess)

As an example, I paid £2 for 'The Martian' when it was discounted, and then £4 for the audio book. Oh, and that's a hugely recommended audio book - the story is great sci-fi and the reader nailed it.

Reactions: SilentB-TEST

SilentB-TEST

Commander
Jan 24, 2017
RSI Handle
SilentB-TEST
Have a look at this thread regarding old radio plays that are available on the web. These may fit the bill, certainly they are are freely accessible:

https://testsquadron.com/threads/space-fans-should-enjoy-these-audio-theater-plays.8021/#post-121355

Now if you can consider 'low cost':

Amazon Kindle books via text to speech. Ok, for this to be cheap you do need to already own an Amazon device (Kindle tablet or phone) as they do not permit 'text to speech' on any other devices, but I listen to books for at least a couple of hours each workday during my commute. At 1.5x speed I find the speech quality to be excellent, and it doesn't interfere with my enjoyment of the material.

Personally I keep an Amazon wishlist that tends to hang around 400 kindle books, and check that every few days. Often these books are discounted down to one or two pounds as publishers try to push them up the charts, and that's when I buy them. Now the second string to this bow is that once you buy the kindle version you have a big discount offered on the 'Audible' human read version where one exists. So even if you do not own a Kindle device it is probably a cheap way to get audio books - just watch for discounted kindle books and buy that and the subsequently discounted associated audio book (typically £4 for the audio book - $5 to $6 I guess)

As an example, I paid £2 for 'The Martian' when it was discounted, and then £4 for the audio book. Oh, and that's a hugely recommended audio book - the story is great sci-fi and the reader nailed it.
THANK YOU!!! I forgot about amazon text to speech. I have an extra kindle fire laying around somewhere. I'll have to give it a try. I also forgot about the new Amazon prime audio book channels. I have listened to tons of old-time radio shows. My son and I listened to over 100 episodes of superman on https://archive.org/details/superman_otr/Superman_400212_01_The_Baby_From_Kry.mp3 . I also always loved the Shadow, I have it on CD. I checked out the thread and it looks like a good place to start. The Martian, is that the book the book the Matt Damon movie was based on? That is a great movie!

SilentB-TEST

Commander
Jan 24, 2017
RSI Handle
SilentB-TEST
Illuminae. Just do it. It's great. Also, your local library might have a system for audio book rental through your phone or computer.
Illuminae looks interesting, I will have to check it out. I used to get books on CD all the time from the library. I forgot that many of them have online books now. I will see if they have Audiobooks. Thank you for the suggestion.

Sportsvee

Commander
Sep 4, 2016
RSI Handle
Sportsvee
As above, library is a good source.
YouTube has a hell of a lot as well, including that Star Wars zombie one. Back up the audio (for prosperity) to use on a suitable format. I use a USB in the car, works well.

Those are my 2 main sources. Hope it helps.

SilentB-TEST

Commander
Jan 24, 2017
RSI Handle
SilentB-TEST
I was able to sign out the sequel to enders game from my local library through Overdrive. I liked the movie so figured I would give it a try. Anyone know how different the Enders Game movie was from the book?

Floating Cloud

Space Marshal
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Floating_Cloud
The book and the film are quite different. I would say that the book is significantly better, but there is undoubtedly an element of personal preference there which may not be true for you. The book covers the relationship between Ender and his siblings in a lot more detail, and that is very relevant both in how the book progresses, and also in the sequels. I've ready two or three of those sequels and enjoyed them, but the original is the only one that I keep coming back to.

Hadron Xon

Space Marshal
Jan 18, 2016
RSI Handle
Hadron_Xon
Ring world
The gap series
uplift wars
Star wars the old republic series
The Darth bane trilogy
night watch