Any Python scripters?

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
I don't have the skill set to code this script, it's for helping with SC fan art
http://pastebin.com/awGMjqNB
Anyone know anyone or are you someone who can write it?

TL;DR version: Need a script to parse SC's prefab XML files to rebuild ships/hangars/structures in Cinema 4D using ripetide pro as the importer. For the art! lol

I hit up freelancer websites, haven't had any bites yet that I'd trust or that are reasonable,
I know it wouldn't be a hard script to write. Just.. well.. way to hard for me right now.. I'm a glorious simple minded dummy.

I think these would be the script steps
  • -let user browse for and select xml file
  • -parse xml data and only store/que/use object path and file name with it's position and rotation values
  • -call riptide pro to import (with last used settings) the OBJ with the path+filename.obj
  • -move newly imported object to absolute position and rotation values else report import error in a log file
  • -move onto next object in the XML
I think that's the logic the script would use?

Here's an example of a C4D script where I used Riptide pro x3 times to import an object,
setting or information for riptide pro was not passed into the log. So in other words, this won't work since this call command won't pass variables to the riptide pro plugin. I need to find if there's a way to pass variables to ripetide pro.
Code:
import c4d
from c4d import documents, plugins
#Welcome to the world of Python

def main():
    c4d.CallCommand(300000116, 300000116) # Script Log...
    c4d.CallCommand(1026718, 1026718) # New
    c4d.CallCommand(1022494, 1022494) # #$02.Obj Importer

if __name__=='__main__':
    main()
    c4d.EventAdd()
This is a link to the info on the riptide pro plugin
https://skinprops.com/riptidepro.php

##########################################################################
Edit:
Because Riptide pro's plugin author confirmed python variables can't be passed to his plugin, the only option left is to modify the powershell script from Markemp.

Last edited:
Reactions: marctek

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
Putting a $100 bounty via paypal for either C4D or Blender solution for this.
It's not much be it'll buy a few pizzas and beer.
Freelance websites, people are asking for double or more as if I'm some corporation needing a developer.... this is just for fan art. But end of day, devs on freelance websites are there to make $$$, not there to support hobbiests and SC fans like lil' 'ol me.

Metal-Muffin

Space Marshal
Aug 28, 2015
RSI Handle
Metal-Muffin
I'm also interested in scripters, mainly for Kivy. I'm using a Rasperry Pi running Kivypi and I'm trying to make touch screen based menus, that use GPIO to talk to an Arduino Mini Pro which is programmed as a keyboard emulator. I have no .py experience but I'm about half way thru "Learn Python the Hard Way" book.

One of the things I want to do is pull the ship 'holograms' from the RSI website ship info pages and use them to create a 3D- graphic database in Kivy of ships- which will not be network connected. Ideally, I'd like to do the same with the star map, however I'm really unsure on how or if this can be done.

I don't have $100 bounty to offer, but I can send you a bottle of Jameson.

Last edited:

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
Damn! bad news from the Riptide pro plugin developer about passing python variables to it for the open file and export.
Currently, no. It's something I have considered, but haven't yet looked into well enough to implement anything like that. Possibly in a future update.
I'm so screwed... it's gonna have to be the modifying Markemp's powershell script now.

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
I'm blasting this all over the internet
Need a github forked to parse custom cryengine prefab XMLs and import those objects into blender (maintaining obj sub-groups & UVs as well as material assigns from obj mtls) with position/rotation/RGB base color applied from XML, http://pastebin.com/uJhXfESk (warning large file, click raw). A powershell script was developed for a different game doing required result https://github.com/Markemp/Mech-Importer, which I would like forked for the desired game this XML file is from which is Star Citizen. This is for fan art purposes. Budget is $100.
If you know any powershell scripters?.... I've sent out an SOS! lol

marctek

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 7, 2015
RSI Handle
Marctek
I wish I could help. I'm just learning Python, know a bit of Java, pl/sql and have even done some pearl and vb script back in the day. Power shell doesn't look all that hard to pickup either. However between work, family, and having gone back to school I have no time for extra stuff. That sounds like a fun project though and not something that is very hard (ha that's what she said).

I'm even going to build a shed for an office in my backyard so I can hide and lock the doors so my family can't interrupt my study time.

marctek

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 7, 2015
RSI Handle
Marctek
I'm also interested in scripters, mainly for Kivy. I'm using a Rasperry Pi running Kivypi and I'm trying to make touch screen based menus, that use GPIO to talk to an Arduino Mini Pro which is programmed as a keyboard emulator. I have no .py experience but I'm about half way thru "Learn Python the Hard Way" book.

One of the things I want to do is pull the ship 'holograms' from the RSI website ship info pages and use them to create a 3D- graphic database in Kivy of ships- which will not be network connected. Ideally, I'd like to do the same with the star map, however I'm really unsure on how or if this can be done.

I don't have $100 bounty to offer, but I can send you a bottle of Jameson.
My brother uses a raspberry pie with a small screen to monitor the temp in his smoker. It sends him alerts if the temp gets to low or high.

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
I currently have a Russian coder looking into this for me, the $100 bounty is enough for now thank goodness! I really hope this works out! He's already reviewed Markemp's MWO script and since CDF files are only partially used for SC assets (mostly cga/cgam/skin) he's now reviewing all related info concerning the communities current mod tools and workflow. If he decides to have a go at this and once the prefab script is changed for SC and working... I'll need to either ask him or find another to help with the cgf-converter git so that the bloody helper nodes in the cga files can be exported as well so we're not guess what part goes where. I must have perfection for my fan art renders! lol
fingers crossed! :fingers_crossed:

I'll report back once there's a working script for the prefabs (with some renders hopefully)

Last edited:
Reactions: Blind Owl

Metal-Muffin

Space Marshal
Aug 28, 2015
RSI Handle
Metal-Muffin
My brother uses a raspberry pie with a small screen to monitor the temp in his smoker. It sends him alerts if the temp gets to low or high.
Eventually I'll build something like this using an Arduino. I charcoal smoke, so I want to build it so it PWM's a blower to maintain temp- but that's for another thread.

@DirectorGunner i hope everything works out.

Reactions: Blind Owl

marctek

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 7, 2015
RSI Handle
Marctek
@DirectorGunner do you have any experience with scripting? What I normally do when things like this come up are look for scripts others have written and then modify them. Usually you can do a couple tutorials on the language of choice and then start hacking away. Hell, I have gotten through most of my career doing this. My dev manager actually thinks I know how to code. I can help you find some stuff on how to do it but I don't really have the cycles to do the actual work.

Forgot your password?