Anyone have any book series suggestions?

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
I generally like to read series and I will alternate between scfii/fantasy and something more mainstream. At the moment I have plenty of scifi/fantasy titles for a while but am coming up short on others. I just finished the Millenium series (girl with the dragon tattoo) and will start on the books not written by the original auther next. I am almost done with the Agent Pendergast series (FBI mystery) by Lincoln and Child. I tried to read Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan series but couldn't get into it. Any one have any good suggestions for a good long series to get into? I had eyed Jack Reacher as a possibility but they seemed to have a lot of reviewers saying the books are pretty two dimensional. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Reactions: Sraika and Scape

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
If you're into hard science fiction I recommend the The Three Body Problem by Liu Cixin. It's basically a modern retelling of War of The Worlds but in a much different setting.

There's also The Expanse. Can't recommend it enough. Space Opera at it's finest. Adapted into one of the best Scifi Shows on TV right now too!

Both franchises are multi book series so if you're looking for something that's gonna be a long ride, those are good choices.

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
I'll take a look at three body problem, just finished the expanse. As I said though, I don't have a shortage of scifi and fantasy series that I'm going to be getting into (or back into) but I like to balance it out with more mainstream fiction or mystery or thrillers. Anything in those areas?

Reactions: Scape

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
Hmm.

I like a good Southern Gothic yarn from time to time.

Galveston is a book I read a couple of years ago that I really enjoyed. It's written by Nic Pizzolatto, the dude who created the True Detective series on HBO. It's classic Southern Gothic stuff. Think Cormac McCarthy's 'No Country for Old Men'.

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
Also John Le Carré is probably the greatest living author of British Spy novels if that's up your ally. 'Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy', 'The Constant Gardener, and The Tailor of Panama' are just some of his novels that have been adapted into films. 'Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy' in particular was adapted into an excellent movie (Showcasing Garry Oldman at the height of his acting powers).

Judasgeiten

Lieutenant
May 2, 2020
RSI Handle
judasgeiten
If you're into hard science fiction I recommend the The Three Body Problem by Liu Cixin. It's basically a modern retelling of War of The Worlds but in a much different setting.

There's also The Expanse. Can't recommend it enough. Space Opera at it's finest. Adapted into one of the best Scifi Shows on TV right now too!

Both franchises are multi book series so if you're looking for something that's gonna be a long ride, those are good choices.
I finished reading the three body problem before Christmas. Amazing series that introduced some very exciting theories about the universe. If you liked the triology, I would recommend the Foundation triology by Isaac Asimov. It has a sort of similar story style.

c0sign

Commander
Donor
May 1, 2020
RSI Handle
c0sign
These are more just fantasy books, but

Sword of truth by Terry Goodkind. I think the 8th book is the best, naked empire. (read in order)
The Shannara Series by Terry Brooks, I started with the Heritage of Shannara. He also has another series that I enjoyed call magic kingdom for sale.
The Pit Fighter Trilogy by Jane Yolen, Its kind of a novice read but enjoyable.

Reactions: Scape

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Asking about non sci-fi books, bah, heresy!
Speaking of which, The Horus Heresy book series is now as long as the war in 40K, so that should last you a lifetime...
I always recommend Heir to the Empire by Timothy Zahn, it's the best damn SW book series ever, it's what we should have gotten as ep7-9 instead of the current garbage...
Halo has some pretty decent books too, the Fall of Reach is excellent.
Non sci-fi... hmm.. Nope, can't really help you, sorry.

How about Indiana Jones novels (not the movie books, although temple of doom is better in book imho), those are perfectly mediocre pulp! Jurassic Park 2-3 is also waaaay better in books than the movies.

I once read one book out of a series, I think, about an (half?) Ork who got cursed and kept banging horses... can't remember what it was but it was hilarious 🤣

• o7
Reactions: maynard and c0sign

c0sign

Commander
Donor
May 1, 2020
RSI Handle
c0sign
Asking about non sci-fi books, bah, heresy!
Speaking of which, The Horus Heresy book series is now as long as the war in 40K, so that should last you a lifetime...
Without the Dark, there can be no Light, We have purpose
Without the Lie, there can be no Truth, We have purpose
Without the War, there can be no Victory, We have purpose
Without the Death, there can be no sacrifice, We have purpose
Without the Hope there can be no Future, We have purpose
Without the Loyalty there can be no one chapter, We have purpose
Without the Emperor, there is nothing, And we would have no purpose ...

• o7
Reactions: Lorddarthvik

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
I generally like to read series and I will alternate between scfii/fantasy and something more mainstream...
If you like a good satire & have a sick, cynical sense of humor, I have picked up "QualityLand" by Marc-Uwe Kling, and I'm having a blast...I seem to literally laugh out loud at least once a page...

• o7
Reactions: maynard

Thugari

Space Marshal
Mar 11, 2016
RSI Handle
Thugari
not scifi or fantasy, but a good book worth reading is the hot zone. its an older book and not a series. but worth the read

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
I finished reading the three body problem before Christmas. Amazing series that introduced some very exciting theories about the universe. If you liked the triology, I would recommend the Foundation triology by Isaac Asimov. It has a sort of similar story style.
Asimov's Foundation is being adapted into a series as well!

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
I've heard rumours about that. Could make a pretty interesting series, but I'm worried they might alter the story to make it more "blockbuster"-friendly.
I'm generally ok with film/tv adaptations. Even if it's terrible, they still end up introducing new readers to the original books!

Reactions: Judasgeiten

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
If you like a good satire & have a sick, cynical sense of humor, I have picked up "QualityLand" by Marc-Uwe Kling, and I'm having a blast...I seem to literally laugh out loud at least once a page...
:o7:

added to my Amazon shopping list

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Reactions: Aramsolari

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
I don;t read no much no more - but when I did I loved reading Hobbit / LOTR. Read them about 5 times. Have you read them? DOOO ITTTTT.

Forgot your password?