Anyone here familiar with the Med Board process for military?

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
I know we have a few retired and active people floating around. I just got told my med board process has been initiated and I want to fight it and if I lose I better be getting a good % after learning Illinois exempts you from property taxes if its 70% or higher I damn well better be getting that if that is the case.

Mushin

Space Marshal
Aug 31, 2015
RSI Handle
Naelobo
Sorry to hear this Hohos. This is definitely something you might want to take over the legal aid office and see what advice they have for you. I never had to deal with a med board, but I did deal with the VA. If you do get discharged out, make sure you have all medical records on and off base accurate and on hand before you depart. It will make your claim with the VA easier to manage. Remember the med retirement and the VA disability are two different things. Just cover your bases and don't assume that someone is going to take care of you.

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
Sorry to hear this Hohos. This is definitely something you might want to take over the legal aid office and see what advice they have for you. I never had to deal with a med board, but I did deal with the VA. If you do get discharged out, make sure you have all medical records on and off base accurate and on hand before you depart. It will make your claim with the VA easier to manage. Remember the med retirement and the VA disability are two different things. Just cover your bases and don't assume that someone is going to take care of you.
Thanks, atm i'm looking to fight the process and stay in. I have a bunch of MOSs im looking towards that should fall in line with my permanent profile, but atm I need to weigh my options on whether my body can do another 10 years or not :\ i'm looking at 15w 25d 17e 35l 79r and 94s

Last edited:

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Like @Mushin said, check with your legal aid folks, and check with the DAV and American Legion. My memory (from almost (yikes) 30 years ago) was that TECHNICALLY it was NOT an adversarial process so you aren't entitled to representation, but...you bet your ass it was adversarial, in that they were gonna screw you somehow.

If the military gives you a disability rating, then it comes out of their budget. If they give you a low rating (like, nothing or "0%") and then pass you on to the VA, then the VA has to pick up the bill for your disability rating for anything over that 0%. So, you can bet that the military doesn't want to give you a high disability rating...but if you are really disabled, and you need the money because you will have problems with getting fully employed in the civilian world, then, you have to wait your turn in the VA process, which can take a couple of years.

From what I have heard now, there is better integration between the military boards and the VA (honestly, it couldn't have gotten any worse...) But essentially, if you are being brought to a board, they must have some percentage disability in mind they will offer; you want to make sure that the offer is based on some reality of your situation. Find out what you can about your current job, what you can/can't do, the alternative jobs in the military, and then the equivalents in the civilian sector.

FYI, your disability rating can increase, over time, if your injury / disabiliity or whatever progresses...this is quite normal, so even if you don't get that 70% rating at first, you can potentially get it later, as you age & the disability gets worse.

Finally...this is a real stressful period, find some ways to keep your perspective, and don't let any a-holes pull any mind-fucks on you. Reinforce your ties with your family, as you will undoubtedly need their support.

I was in the military ages ago, end then I worked in a VA hospital for a couple of years. I've seen a couple people go through this process. This is the worst part of the process. Once you are out and plugged into the VA system, people typically are very happy with their care. The problem is the x-number-of-years time it takes going from getting discharged, to getting the VA Compensation & Pension review/rating, to actually getting enrolled in the VA care. Whatever you can do to smooth out that process & shorten it will help you in the long run.

Good luck! Don't be shy about posting about any other questions, or what you find out!

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
Like @Mushin said, check with your legal aid folks, and check with the DAV and American Legion. My memory (from almost (yikes) 30 years ago) was that TECHNICALLY it was NOT an adversarial process so you aren't entitled to representation, but...you bet your ass it was adversarial, in that they were gonna screw you somehow.

If the military gives you a disability rating, then it comes out of their budget. If they give you a low rating (like, nothing or "0%") and then pass you on to the VA, then the VA has to pick up the bill for your disability rating for anything over that 0%. So, you can bet that the military doesn't want to give you a high disability rating...but if you are really disabled, and you need the money because you will have problems with getting fully employed in the civilian world, then, you have to wait your turn in the VA process, which can take a couple of years.

From what I have heard now, there is better integration between the military boards and the VA (honestly, it couldn't have gotten any worse...) But essentially, if you are being brought to a board, they must have some percentage disability in mind they will offer; you want to make sure that the offer is based on some reality of your situation. Find out what you can about your current job, what you can/can't do, the alternative jobs in the military, and then the equivalents in the civilian sector.

FYI, your disability rating can increase, over time, if your injury / disabiliity or whatever progresses...this is quite normal, so even if you don't get that 70% rating at first, you can potentially get it later, as you age & the disability gets worse.

Finally...this is a real stressful period, find some ways to keep your perspective, and don't let any a-holes pull any mind-fucks on you. Reinforce your ties with your family, as you will undoubtedly need their support.

I was in the military ages ago, end then I worked in a VA hospital for a couple of years. I've seen a couple people go through this process. This is the worst part of the process. Once you are out and plugged into the VA system, people typically are very happy with their care. The problem is the x-number-of-years time it takes going from getting discharged, to getting the VA Compensation & Pension review/rating, to actually getting enrolled in the VA care. Whatever you can do to smooth out that process & shorten it will help you in the long run.

Good luck! Don't be shy about posting about any other questions, or what you find out!
Bseed on your experience and from what im hearing and know, it has got better immensely. Like a fuck ton, lol. Im entitled to a peblo and i personally know people who can help, so atm im absorbing everything. You dont wait on VA disability, it kicks in immediately and taken care of before you exit. The army vs va is accurate on paying but it will be settled before i get out.

Mushin

Space Marshal
Aug 31, 2015
RSI Handle
Naelobo
I've had two buddies who were in service with me that got discharged on med board. We were all in a combat arms career field. One fought it and ended up getting booted out for Article 15s because he couldn't do the job or P/T requirements anymore. Definitely think about long term, as your body decides what you can put up with. So thinking about your physical well being is the right way to go. Nobody in here or in service can tell you what you can take. You have to decide that for yourself. If you have any problems, emotionally or mentally, we are just a message away. Best wishes!

Reactions: Vavrik and Deroth

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
What is the health issue they want to med board you for?
What's your current rank and MOS?

Reactions: Vavrik

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Bseed on your experience and from what im hearing and know, it has got better immensely. Like a fuck ton, lol. Im entitled to a peblo and i personally know people who can help, so atm im absorbing everything. You dont wait on VA disability, it kicks in immediately and taken care of before you exit. The army vs va is accurate on paying but it will be settled before i get out.
Glad to hear it got better! Like I said, it was ass-backward stupid back in the day...

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
Im sgt (p) 11b2p no idea what they decided on for the medboard. It was 2nd hand knowledge. I havent even been told officially. Was told by the guy who recieves the initiation from my PA
Can you still pass a PT test?
If you can't then you're pretty much at the mercy of others (PA, CoC, Branch, etc.), but if you can still pass a PT test then you have options as long as no one in your Chain of Command has an axe to grind with you.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Can you still pass a PT test?
If you can't then you're pretty much at the mercy of others (PA, CoC, Branch, etc.), but if you can still pass a PT test then you have options as long as no one in your Chain of Command has an axe to grind with you.
The other issue besides passing a PT test is, "can you deploy?" Somebody I knew was getting ready to go over seas with their unit (National Guard) and failed the screen for concussions or whatever it is. They then got evaluated and were diagnosed with some concussion disorder thing + PTSD....which was weird, because they were an MP in the Guard and they were a police officer in their regular job. They are still working as a cop...So don't expect common sense to be guiding decision-making....

Reactions: Vavrik and Deroth

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
Just found out my retention NCO lied to the PA Officer about contacting me for the medical reclass instead and so they assumed I was doing absolutely nothing and canceled my Medical Reclass and put me in for med board...so it's going to get interesting tomorrow at work.

• Wut
Reactions: Deroth and Vavrik

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I'd be only pretending if I said I knew what the process is for this in the US ... but good luck man.

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
Just found out my retention NCO lied to the PA Officer about contacting me for the medical reclass instead and so they assumed I was doing absolutely nothing and canceled my Medical Reclass and put me in for med board...so it's going to get interesting tomorrow at work.
See, that is when I start contemplating making comments to the retention NCO that imply I banged their mom the last time she visited.

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
See, that is when I start contemplating making comments to the retention NCO that imply I banged their mom the last time she visited.
This is the second time he has fucked me over. The first time he tried lying to my 1sgt about how I was being impatient after waiting 3 months to get a 4187 that he said he would do and tried blaming me for it. 1sgt lit that up fast, so at least I know my command is already tracking this guy is a dirt bag. I honestly can't sleep now and will probably stay up for the next 4 hours till I go to work...

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
This is the second time he has fucked me over. The first time he tried lying to my 1sgt about how I was being impatient after waiting 3 months to get a 4187 that he said he would do and tried blaming me for it. 1sgt lit that up fast, so at least I know my command is already tracking this guy is a dirt bag. I honestly can't sleep now and will probably stay up for the next 4 hours till I go to work...
I'm hoping you're on good terms with your 1SG and CO, probably need to get this brought up to the 1SG again at which point they may take it to the CO (CO's hate it when the retention office fucks up their metrics since that is one of the things they get reviewed on.)

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I'm hoping you're on good terms with your 1SG and CO, probably need to get this brought up to the 1SG again at which point they may take it to the CO (CO's hate it when the retention office fucks up their metrics since that is one of the things they get reviewed on.)
I have a friend who lost his right arm in a battle situation that he was decorated for, and it wasn't just a purple heart. Then he had to wait 14 years for a proper mechanical arm. Just sayin... the mark of a good leader is they arrange things so that shit and blame flows uphill, not down. Something is broken.

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
I have a friend who lost his right arm in a battle situation that he was decorated for, and it wasn't just a purple heart. Then he had to wait 14 years for a proper mechanical arm. Just sayin... the mark of a good leader is they arrange things so that shit and blame flows uphill, not down. Something is broken.
Not all Leaders are created equally.

When I was in I had leadership that knew I was going to get screwed over before I did and put things in motion to protect me.
I also had leadership that didn't care unless it was shoved down their throat in the context of it'll negatively impact their career if they don't do something about it.

Reactions: Vavrik

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Different country, different military, different situation but illustrates the same mindset. One of my kids joined the Navy and shortly after was charged with a property damage crime. The Navy wanted to prosecute the case instead of the civies. His NCOs and officers treated him like a criminal for months. He couldn't even get a good Military lawyer who didn't want him to plead Guilty. Only a civie lawyer. Then, at the preliminary hearing, the judge threw the charges out. I mean out, like off his desk. It was hilarious. He reamed the prosecution and the MPs for what felt like 30 minutes straight.
My son had hit a car. With his hand. Dented the front fender, pretty badly. All true.

But the owner of the car? My son. Was it paid off? Yep. Insured? Yep. Licensed properly? Yep. Did the MPs bother to check any of this? Nope. ... Oops.

Forgot your password?