Asus Tech tip - BSOD with Driver Power State Failure

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Not sure how widespread this is, but if you have an ASUS built system, with Nvidea gpu, AND Windows 8 or 10, this might be relevant to you. If it helps one person avoid the agony, then cool.

Symptom is: A BSOD with a sad face, error message Driver Power State Failure. Strange thing, the BSOD can also be yellow.

Solution is: Replace the entire suite of Nvidea software on your system with the Nvidea drivers from the Asus website, not the Nvidea website.

That requires booting the computer in Safe Mode at one point. If you're on Windows 10, you might have to create a local user with admin privileges to do this, because your password is not local, and it won't recognize your pin.

When I looked it up, I didn't find much useful info, until I typed in "ASUS driver power state failure". I shoulda known. Pay dirt.

It turns out that if you manually, or your system automagically, updated the Asus driver for your Nvidea card, it might not be a problem right away. But it might become a problem in a later update.

Forgot your password?