Automatically deploying landing gear: Bug or Feature?

Automically deploying landing gear: Is it a bug, or is it a feature?

• Total voters

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
So I had no idea my landing gear would automatically deploy if I'm anywhere near the ground, and/or going slow enough...until it started happening. Repeatedly.

WTF? I'm curious what problem this is supposed to "solve?" Was the UEE Insurance Institute tired of paying out too many claims for people damaging their ship by landing without the gear deployed?

So far, I've been shot down 3 times while trying to investigate things on the surface. You really are just a sitting duck if you can't immediately just zoom away.

Also, this re-borks my 315p. I was so happy it stopped killing me now in 3.1! I was going to try doing delivery missions by landing without deploying the gear and carrying the package into my ship, since I still haven't found a way to climb a ladder with a package, successfully. If you know a way, let me know, otherwise I'm going to upgrade the thing *again."

Last edited:

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
No, very annoying during a dogfight flying a Hornet. The wing guns start to shoot outward. I don't know how close I was to the surface, the fight was on the dark side of Daymar. Since the other guy didn't crash into the planet, it was safe distance..... well, at a certain point he started to make strange manoeuvres on my target display, quick turning and spinning. Time to hit the brake and reverse strafe.

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
It was done intentionally but the feedback from players on this 'feature' has been overwhelmingly negative so hopefully they get rid of it.

The rationale from CIG is that it reduces the number of buttons that need to be mapped.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Also, this re-borks my 315p. I was so happy it stopped killing me now in 3.1! I was going to try doing delivery missions by landing without deploying the gear and carrying the package into my ship, since I still haven't found a way to climb a ladder with a package, successfully. If you know a way, let me know, otherwise I'm going to upgrade the thing *again."
I'm not entirely sure how well this will work for you, but have you tried landing your 315p upside down since that should put the entrance that much closer to the ground for you to hop into? It seems to work for that NPC ship valet at Levski in Hanger 2 who clearly wishes that it could also join the ranks of TEST Squadron & displays that by periodically parking players ships upside down for them to find as they attempt to depart.

I noticed the 'feature'. I'd rather have a feature that automatically fires my missile after I lock rather than one that deploys my landing gear and causes me to crash.
I figured that you would rather have a "feature" that would automatically inject alcohol directly into your blood stream from your mobiglass every time you seemed to start sobering up. I guess I was wrong. Cheers anyways!

Stevetank

Lead Aurora Theorycrafter
Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank
I'm not entirely sure how well this will work for you, but have you tried landing your 315p upside down since that should put the entrance that much closer to the ground for you to hop into? It seems to work for that NPC ship valet at Levski in Hanger 2 who clearly wishes that it could also join the ranks of TEST Squadron & displays that by periodically parking players ships upside down for them to find as they attempt to depart.

I figured that you would rather have a "feature" that would automatically inject alcohol directly into your blood stream from your mobiglass every time you seemed to start sobering up. I guess I was wrong. Cheers anyways!
I'm actually allergic to alcohol, so I'm always sober because I like living. I pay @Blind Owl to be my designated drinker, so just send him my beer and then I'll pay him.... in more beer.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
I'm actually allergic to alcohol, so I'm always sober because I like living. I pay @Blind Owl to be my designated drinker, so just send him my beer and then I'll pay him.... in more beer.
I see. That is very interesting. I almost never drink except for a single shot each New Years Eve if I have lost somebody during that year. I have always been immune to the effects of alcohol & all forms of pain killers. Which has had a few advantages & a lot of disadvantages. At least I know that those I care about will always have a designated driver.

True story. He was kind enough to provide a spare liver. Turns out you need one after all. A functioning one.
What a great guy!

Stevetank

Lead Aurora Theorycrafter
Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank
I see. That is very interesting. I almost never drink except for a single shot each New Years Eve if I have lost somebody during that year. I have always been immune to the effects of alcohol & all forms of pain killers. Which has had a few advantages & a lot of disadvantages. At least I know that those I care about will always have a designated driver.

What a great guy!
Pain killers don't numb my pain either, but the side effects hit me hard. They do everything except help me with pain.

Forgot your password?