Banu Merchantman layout

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
Okey, so today we got this update from CIG:

In short,
-a walkaround of Odyssey, looks kinda cool but not my cup of dried then boiled leaves.
-Some information of BMM and a cool little image dump.
-Bunch of RAFTs combining into a giant mecha.

Anyhow, so we had this pic there:
Internals.png

Okey, so this reminded me of the earlier vid and the associated imgur image dump, so I went looking for that, but ran into this:

fmgulyg.png

y9xX1kc.png

That doesn't seem CIG material, so I'm guessing it's user generated, however, looking at the picture from the video, it seems like it's based on an earlier leak or something I might've missed, but in any case, seems pretty legit. And certainly easier to read than the 3D version from the vid.

Anyhow, it seems like the upper storage has quite convenient access to the main cargo bay via hangar and elevators. I'm hoping those would be big enough to move some boxes around. I mean, that rectangular pipe going from Messhall to cargo bay isn't exactly labeled "Elevator" on the video, but like, what else would it be? This also shows the market having good access to the cargo bay, which is good.

Not quite sure what "Docking F" is though.

Oh, and the earlier picture I was originally looking for was this
EBsIKRV.png

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
Turned my 2nd BMM into an Orion but I'm definitely keeping my last one. So excited for this ship :like:
Man, I wish I had a second BMM... Well, reflecting on my earlier mistakes I did grab an extra Gemini->Endeavor CCU this time around.

Though I realize that I should've also grabbed an extra Cat->Gemini CCU >_>
I think I had something like Mole->Gemini in buybacks though, so not a huge deal, but still.

Know what would be funny? If Gemini had a modest $20 bump with the redesign, I could get a Hull C->Gemini and then apply my Gemini->Hull D. I'd lose $20, but gain $200. That'd be an interesting CCU chain.

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
Hmm, I started thinking. Those NPC taxi missions, now, BMM is a trading vessel, but it DOES have at least two, if not 4 or 6, quest rooms (not sure how many those two areas have). AND it is quite luxuriant ship. I wonder if it's possible to do some VIP transport missions as well, would be a nice way of making some extra money as you'd want to travel a bit here and there anyhow, finding new interesting places to land and profit off of.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
My Ewok booty is so stoked about the BMM & hoping that we'll learn more about it from CIG periodically like they did with the Carrack while it was in the works. However, if they happen to take a bit of extra time to make it as absolutely perfect as possible before release, I can live with that. The rushed the 600i, but took their sweet time with the 890J, which of them turned out better fairly obvious.

Gucci

Space Marshal
Nov 17, 2015
RSI Handle
Ras-al-Ghul
That totally solidified a rather different question in my mind actually. My stance now is:
Carrack = keep
BMM = keep
Open question: Odyssey vs. Polaris. . . ???
Not to beat a dead Carrack(sorry lol), but if you already are set on a Carrack, why consider the Odyssey against the Polaris when the roles for each are so different and the roles for the Carrack and Odyssey are so similar?

Yea, yes, yes, people keep saying how different these ships are but in reality they are both long range explorers with lots of overlap.

Personally, since you asked, I would go the polaris(or another) route instead of the Odyssey.

Buuuut just in case you are 99% set on the Carrack and not 100%, let me try to say you over to team Odyssey!
There are lots of posts comparing the two but I dont see mentioned nearly enough the gameplay or features that the larger hangar opens for the Odyssey that we just dont know about yet;

-Drones(smaller drone ships or just parking drones in hangar)
-Salvage ship
-Repair ship
-Surprise! Ares Ion/inferno/eclipse, etc
-A better jump point mapping ship than the Odyssey(smaller/tuned exp ship?)
-Bounty hunting or ganking base of operations with nice interceptor/interdictor/emp ships inside to soften up/subdue targets for momma?

Lots of options!

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Open question: Odyssey vs. Polaris. . . ???
Both if you want. You don't have to buy them both at the same time or even buy either at all, unless something is burning a hole in your wallet. Just remember nothing is cast in stone except the money you spent.

It also seems to me the roles of the Carrack and Odyssey are actually very different, and it is the role of the Carrack and Polaris that has more overlap. This is a completely subjective opinion based on how I would play either ship. So is anyone else's opinion ... that is to say, buy what feels right for you.

• o7
Reactions: Talonsbane

Dirtbag_Leader

Admiral
Nov 27, 2020
RSI Handle
Dirtbag_Leader
why consider the Odyssey against the Polaris
Actually my reasoning for this IS the hangar. I'm still committed to the Carrack because I'm pretty sure it'll be perfect to do solid, far reaching exploring with a smaller crew, say of like 3 people. I'm less confident that you can really operate either the Ody or Polaris with just 3, but what draws me to both ships, even more than their listed roles, is that nice sized, dedicated hangar. Heck, even the BMM *might* be a contender here too; but the idea of cruising around in a big ship to a system, and then launching your fighter/etc. to run around and do stuff is very exciting. 890J would be good too, but I already know I'd much rather spend that level of $ on a more well-rounded vehicle like those mentioned. So for me it's more of a plan like:
- Carrack with a dedicated friend or two for exploration excursions (for which the Pisces is still fine)
- Ship with a bigger hangar for 'home base' normal day-to-day messing around.

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
Actually my reasoning for this IS the hangar. I'm still committed to the Carrack because I'm pretty sure it'll be perfect to do solid, far reaching exploring with a smaller crew, say of like 3 people. I'm less confident that you can really operate either the Ody or Polaris with just 3, but what draws me to both ships, even more than their listed roles, is that nice sized, dedicated hangar. Heck, even the BMM *might* be a contender here too; but the idea of cruising around in a big ship to a system, and then launching your fighter/etc. to run around and do stuff is very exciting. 890J would be good too, but I already know I'd much rather spend that level of $ on a more well-rounded vehicle like those mentioned. So for me it's more of a plan like:
- Carrack with a dedicated friend or two for exploration excursions (for which the Pisces is still fine)
- Ship with a bigger hangar for 'home base' normal day-to-day messing around.
BMM hangar is larger than Carrack, the largest ship that fits Carrack is 100i afaik. Meanwhile BMM hangar is designed to comfortably fit a defender, which is pretty large for a small ship, not the largest but on the larger end. Comfortably fitting a defender then of course means it can fit some ships larger than the defender, just scraping the some paint off. Afaik, still can't fit the largest small ships though. But pretty solid nevertheless. For a trader, anyhow. Also considering the cargo bay lift is sorta large, I'm wondering if you can just land snubs there. Well, probably, since people have gotten snubs inside a Starfarer, and that's a door that barely accommodates an Ursa rover.

EDIT: Well, I suppose the question was on Ody or Poly. I'd go with Poly. You already got exploration ship, and, unpopular opinion I know, but Ody is just bad value if you ask me. At 500? Definitely, go for it. 700? Nah. It's big, but the only selling point is really the hangar. It can gather and refine its own qFuel? Quaint. But that's kinda the only feature besides the hangar, even the cargo bay is absolutely tiny. Like, you'd more than double the cargo capacity if you land an Hull B in the hangar (if it fits). Great for $500, not so great for $700.

Last edited:

Ayyah

Commander
Nov 16, 2021
RSI Handle
Ayyah
If those are standard 32 SCU cargo containers in the BMM's cargo hold, then ignoring the 1 outlier crate that's 45 crates x 32 SCU = 1,440 which accounts for half of the 2,880 SCU listed on the stats page.

• Glorious
Reactions: Talonsbane
Forgot your password?