Battle Groups, Squadrons and guns...oh my!

Captain Easy

Commander
Nov 19, 2014
RSI Handle
captaineasy
Eventually we will need to form groups and squadrons. Too difficult to issue orders otherwise. So I thought that maybe we could come up with some possible names for them. This is TEST SQUADRON after all.

Battle Group: Drunk Tank
Squadron: Shot Glass

Scratch your heads and post yours!

Reactions: Broody

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
Small flight group: Pints
Enemies: Bouncers

ghost53574

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2014
RSI Handle
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/citizens/xgh0st
So we have had some mingling with some type of organization with TEST previously but most attempts have failed:
That Demo's a Spy
Operation Curveball
Strategy X

With that said I'd like to quote Thomsirveaux

This thread has been tagged by the TEST OSI as infringing on our territory. As soon as we have any real authority, you'll be tried for treason and summarily shot into space in an Aurora with no thrusters. May the Almighty Roberts pity your soul and allow you to ram into something valuable.
We apparently have an under cover organization named OSI which probably means "Official Secret Institution" which by means of secrecy we can never ever discuss in an open or public thread. Anyway beyond that warning of sarcasm I really do not know if TEST will ever have assigned battle-groups with the whole idea being planned around total chaotic engagements. Furthermore I really do think, on off-days, that the sole purpose of our existence in TEST is to be "cannon-fodder" for the people who really are in charge which clearly means no one is in-charge since Montoya has been superseded by Little Montoya and Little Montoya is also going to contribute to our holy crusade.

So to answer your question plainly I think we should maybe just hear what our glorious leader has to say. (It's probably going to be wait until PU has a set release date)

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
Battlegroups are unlikely to be assigned, however we will probably end up setting up "localized hubs of activity" within the TEST galaxy from which we can pull personnel for response fleets.

There will also probably be squads that focus on specific playstyles, similar to TEST Alliance's Romeo Squad, Sperg Squad, Predditors, etc.

Except that we're not putting these groups together by force - we'll let it naturally happen when PU Alpha spools up. So keep your ideas under your hat for now, and when PU Alpha starts up, we can start discussing how we'll be structuring things. Montoya probably has some ideas of his own, as well. The PU Alpha and Beta phases will be a time for us to put our ideas, squads and doctrines to the test, as well as iron out how we'll be moving forward in the final PU release.

The rule #1 in TEST is to not take everything seriously, though when it's go-time, serious business ensues. I'm hoping the Combat Information Center module that Foundry 42 is working on will enable us to effortlessly structure the fleet in-situ without needing some form of external organizing work.

Reactions: CrashMan054

CrashMan054

Commander
Oct 23, 2014
RSI Handle
CrashMan054
I would hope there'd be some sort of comm notification system in the PU, so TEST fleet commanders could notify everyone in a specific bar/area/group to grab their ships, get on the proper channels, and meet in a specific place. Doing all that in-game would be awesome, that way you wouldn't have to alt-tab out to Mumble and constantly switch channels.

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
I would hope there'd be some sort of comm notification system in the PU, so TEST fleet commanders could notify everyone in a specific bar/area/group to grab their ships, get on the proper channels, and meet in a specific place. Doing all that in-game would be awesome, that way you wouldn't have to alt-tab out to Mumble and constantly switch channels.
I'm expecting CIG to provide us with that kind of backend. Their chat system is XMPP - similar to jabber used by many corps in EVE.

CrashMan054

Commander
Oct 23, 2014
RSI Handle
CrashMan054
I'm expecting CIG to provide us with that kind of backend. Their chat system is XMPP - similar to jabber used by many corps in EVE.
With the amount of money they're making off of us, it would be really sad to have to use external programs for organization and communication.

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
Command structure, and even combat strategies, come down to technical issues. How will CIG implement sharding? How many people can fit in one instance? How will gameplay be designed around these constraints?

It's far too early to be speculating, this is an exercise in mental masturbation

not that I have anything against masturbation of whatever kind, just sayin'

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
Command structure, and even combat strategies, come down to technical issues. How will CIG implement sharding? How many people can fit in one instance? How will gameplay be designed around these constraints?

It's far too early to be speculating, this is an exercise in mental masturbation

not that I have anything against masturbation of whatever kind, just sayin'
I can anticipate some things based on experience with video games, as well as in terms of how the netcode usually works out. We can probably see 64 players or ships at a minimum in each instance.

CitizenDad

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 3, 2014
RSI Handle
SlvmL0rd
We are also looking for names for the Bomber Wings that will be taking part in Pirate Base Raids, and Operation PitchFork, Etc. We are playing with "Wing Wednesday's" for our Weekly Event thing. So perhaps something like "The Whisky Wing" or some such name.

Reactions: Trogdor

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
We are also looking for names for the Bomber Wings that will be taking part in Pirate Base Raids, and Operation PitchFork, Etc. We are playing with "Wing Wednesday's" for our Weekly Event thing. So perhaps something like "The Whisky Wing" or some such name.
I have a name for ya. "The Boomshine Wing".

Reactions: CitizenDad

D3Mark

Grand Admiral
Sep 24, 2014
RSI Handle
D3Mark
I'll just leave this here gentlemen.

Consider group/flight/fleet names from alcohol brands such as Corona Flight, Budweiser fleet, etc.

Captain Easy

Commander
Nov 19, 2014
RSI Handle
captaineasy
actually I was just trying to get posters to generate some cute/funny names. Pretty sure I stated that 'eventually' we will need to organize. Didn't realize this was a hot topic button. Or secret. Maybe self appointed Generals should post some rules.

CrashMan054

Commander
Oct 23, 2014
RSI Handle
CrashMan054
I can anticipate some things based on experience with video games, as well as in terms of how the netcode usually works out. We can probably see 64 players or ships at a minimum in each instance.
On the flip side, PS2 has been out for years, and there still isn't a way to effectively coordinate multiple platoons.

Captain Easy

Commander
Nov 19, 2014
RSI Handle
captaineasy
Except that we're not putting these groups together by force - we'll let it naturally happen when PU Alpha spools up. So keep your ideas under your hat for now, and when PU Alpha starts up, we can start discussing how we'll be structuring things. Montoya probably has some ideas of his own, as well. The PU Alpha and Beta phases will be a time for us to put our ideas, squads and doctrines to the test, as well as iron out how we'll be moving forward in the final PU release.
OK..let me get this straight. The forum has a section titled 'Strategies' but we mustn't list or discuss any ideas until the glorious leader has decided what he wants?

So to answer your question plainly I think we should maybe just hear what our glorious leader has to say. (It's probably going to be wait until PU has a set release date)
But feel free to donate money for the glorious leader to buy expensive ships?

The rule #1 in TEST is to not take everything seriously
And yet all I tried to do was create a thread where we could generate some comical names. Good advice. Maybe you should take it yourself.

I checked out a lot of organizations before joining this one. My main concerns:

1. Don't take it too serious, it's a game.
2. Not wrapped up in PC jargon. (politically correct)
3. Is not an org just so someone can play dictator.

At this point I am disappointed. I was very excited when I checked out the Test org. Now I'm not so sure.

CaptainRichard

Stream Meister
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Sep 29, 2014
RSI Handle
CaptainRichard
No worries, my fellow Captain. TEST is the kind of Org where internal groups will form organically based on people who share similar ideas on how to play the game as well as similar interests in boobs, butt jokes, and beer.

I openly encourage you to come up with ideas for projects, groups, and the like to help benefit the Org and to make it more fun!

And again, think of Dear Leader Montoya not as a ruler with an iron fist, but the Master of Ceremonies that is working diligently to keep the party going and making sure TEST stays the best squadron in the best damn space sim ever. :)

Reactions: Admiral_Nolan
Forgot your password?