Build a custom keypads?

JaqHass

Captain
Donor
Apr 17, 2015
RSI Handle
JaqHass
Asked this question in discord already. But the more thorough the better.
I might make a custom HOTAS but will start with how to work a simple keypad to see where it leads.

THE QUESTION IS does anybody know of a legit open source controller emulator that fits my purpose?

Reactions: honcho12

KingNerd

Admiral
Jul 14, 2015
RSI Handle
KingNerd
As a side note to this conversation I got quotes from a couple of companies on getting custom keyboards or keyboard stickers that you could put on your keyboard that were all made officially for star citizen, the cheapest stickers that I got a quote for were like $26 a set. Stupid crap. lol

Reactions: JaqHass

ThomSirveaux

Space Marshal
Sep 12, 2014
RSI Handle
Thom_Sirveaux
Hey Jaq,

if you're looking to make you own keypad, a Teensy would work, as it has native USB device controller capability. I could even code up a simple script that would allow you to do such a thing just by wiring it up.

Or, you could use an Arduino and import USB libraries, but you'd have to make sure the ATMEL chip has that capability, first.

Let me know! I have no issue personally flying my project out to you, granted that you pay my way, of course. Hey, I'm not gonna do this for free ;)

No, but seriously, let me know. This would be a fun little project.

honcho12

Space Marshal
Oct 12, 2014
RSI Handle
honcho12
The leonardo and micro can be used as usb controllers, but I think Teensy has better prices.

Some crazy russian guy made a nifty firmware for the microcontroller and program for your pc that allows for up to 64 buttons. It works really well as far as I've used it!

For custom HOTAS, it'd probably be easiest to go with the russian guy's MMJoy stuff, because that's what he made it for.

honcho12

Space Marshal
Oct 12, 2014
RSI Handle
honcho12
This, This or This or sure, and you could probably find some others (like the Teensy 2.0)

You would have to check if other chips have the onboard USB controller so they can be used as an HID(human interface device)

Chairman Meow

Grand Admiral
Jan 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Chabby
Kinda happy Jaq made this thread. I've got a couple of knockoff pro micros and this bad boy (crazy what you find on fleabay) But I still need to figure out how to wire it up!

JaqHass

Captain
Donor
Apr 17, 2015
RSI Handle
JaqHass
Personally i'd probably separate the first- and second stage triggers. But i definitely like what i see. :)

Chairman Meow

Grand Admiral
Jan 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Chabby

ThomSirveaux

Space Marshal
Sep 12, 2014
RSI Handle
Thom_Sirveaux
It was listed as a miscellaneous hand controller but the contract number seems to point to this http://www.militaryindustrialcomplex.com/contract_detail.asp?contract_id=13386 so Im guessing it was for a lav25a2 but never ended up being used.
Ah, yeah, it doesn't look as if it were a flight stick, and that settles it. It was probably used for the turret control. It should still work as a flight controller, though: all you have to do is find the power and ground rails, and then map out all of the buttons. If you have a multi-meter, it shouldn't be too hard. Otherwise, you can gut it and add in new hardware.

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
If you have ok soldering skills an xbox 360 controler is a good platform to gut :)

JaqHass

Captain
Donor
Apr 17, 2015
RSI Handle
JaqHass
Might also get a couple of toggle switches that automatically switches back. Does anybody know what they are called?

Forgot your password?