Burndown 50 fixed 26 to go.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
I have a theory, that it's all just for show. We will get 3.0 with CitizenCon next month. You heard it here first.
I think 3.0 will come out a week or a few days before citizencon so that they can get all those people into free fly week to buy the stuff they sell for citizencon. Its like trying to sell drugs... get the addicted then during the addiction or just before they run out of supply from their "Sample" offer them deals they cant say no to. everyone knows when 3.0 comes out its going to be all over gaming news.

Rear_Intruder

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 9, 2017
RSI Handle
Rear_Intruder
My reading was that the (was it) 76 bugs last week were all the bugs before a 3.0 release to EVO.
Erin has decided to aim for an EVO release when the space travel aspect is working, and not wait for trading etc. That needs 26 bugs fixing, it may be that there are still 76 bugs in total before all the systems are fit for EVO to test.
When they fix the 26 bugs it will go to EVO for them to try space travel. In the meantime they will work on the next set of bugs, on say trading and the next EVO release will include that. So there may be 2 or 10 EVO releases it is released to everyone.
I may have misunderstood what Erin said but that is how I read it.

Fell free to disagree with me and make me feel better

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
Taking it at face value, good. Not sure how many bugs actually got fixed though because as said above they are compartmentalising this to try and focus I guess.

For the conspiracy theorist, they would really delay the update to potentially get more sales sometime in the future? I still do not get why people think 3.0 will generate more sales. You are not buying a game to play now, if you are 3.0 will not change that much it really wont.

Last edited:

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
3.0 will generate more sales because a bunch of people have stated they won't be putting more money in the game until CIG has shown signs of progress. It's also really hard to tell people...yeah, we have this great game. It's in alpha, but there are some playable features. Then they ask what the release date is and you tell them...no clue. They ask how the latest build is and you tell them good, but you have not seen a major build in a long time. At that point, it starts getting really hard to sell the game to someone new. Heck, I could not even convince my brother (an avid space gamer) to buy in.

Oh, and @Rear_Intruder - I read that the same way. They have not fixed 50 bugs, they have 26 left they must fix before the go to Evocati to test space travel. The rest have been delayed until the next evocati release. What it sounds like to me is they said "we have too many bugs in our burn down list and we are not making progress, so let's redefine what we must fix for burn down so it looks like we are doing better.

Honestly, this might be a better way of doing things anyway because it focuses them on a certain feature set, but it also smells of damage control with the backers.

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca
My reading was that the (was it) 76 bugs last week were all the bugs before a 3.0 release to EVO.
Erin has decided to aim for an EVO release when the space travel aspect is working, and not wait for trading etc. That needs 26 bugs fixing, it may be that there are still 76 bugs in total before all the systems are fit for EVO to test.
When they fix the 26 bugs it will go to EVO for them to try space travel. In the meantime they will work on the next set of bugs, on say trading and the next EVO release will include that. So there may be 2 or 10 EVO releases it is released to everyone.

After rehearing this section (I'm always having a real hard time understanding Erin Roberts) yes i think you're right.

Maybe they/he are shifting their release behavior into smaller feature focused parts. Delta patcher would be great for that.
So when evocati build 1 is fixed, evocati get build 2 and we get the (fixed) build 1
I would welcome that.

CosmicTrader

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Oct 30, 2015
RSI Handle
CosmicTrader
You are absolutely CORRECT.....
Some bugs have been set aside so they can get it to Evocati for 'Universe Tranversal' testing.
Then CIG will select another set of bugs for us to help them with.
This is the stage they are at.
So using Evocati to get then remaining bugs fixed - in groups - for release to the PTU.

This sounds like a good way to find/fix the remaining Bugs.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
I have a theory, that it's all just for show. We will get 3.0 with CitizenCon next month. You heard it here first.
I definitely think there is tremendous pressure to have something called 3.0 released before CitizenCon, even if just to the Evocati.

I think this is absolutely the way to go right now. Most people just want the space travel & pew pew pew right now. Trading, even if released in 3.0, would not be anywhere near a fully completed mechanic, so why should that hold things up? As pointed out above, compartmentalizing things more should help with the bug fixing.

Is it sad that I'm more excited about the prospect of the Delta Patcher than I am about any of the ships releasing in 3.0 ?
The Delta Patcher is going to make this "big update wait" a thing of the past...and will save our internet connections as well. It probably is the most important piece of tech in 3.0!

cerated

Captain
Sep 10, 2017
RSI Handle
cerated
Anyone notice the gentleman to Erin's right? The one on the end his body language is that of someone who is agitated by what is being said. This whole section where Erin is speaking about this approach he seems stressed. He's gesturing with his hand twice as if he wants to say something, spinning his pen and seems to be thoroughly contemplating what is being said. If I were Erin I'd have paused to find out what was going through his head. I am not sure who edits these videos but I would have cropped this video as that chaps body language is not overly positive. the other chaps in the room seem a little nonchallant about what is being said as well. Almost as if to say here we go again with another one of "these" talks.

Reactions: Mich Angel

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
I'll have to watch that again, my take on this was that Erin was summarizing some agreed upon points...

I was very happy to hear Erin taking a lead, I remember a video from last year, when they were showing the behind the scenes look at decisions about what to present at (I think) CitizenCon, they were behind schedule, and Erin was the only person in the room able to say "No" to CR and bring forward more reasonable expectations about what could be accomplished in a (very) limited timeframe.

Forgot your password?