Cave systems and FPS mining

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
The cave systems are cool and all, but FPS mining? LOL no, I don't think so. That would be an inconsequential way of mining. It's more akin to prospecting (the task, as opposed to the ship). It would really need an overhaul of the mining mechanics too, even though they really need an overhaul.

I would not mind a wheeled or tracked vehicle that can enter caves, or even create caves to mine minerals. This mechanic is kind of an afterthought on CIG's part, and my fear is they're going to do it the mickey mouse way again.

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
The cave systems are cool and all, but FPS mining? LOL no, I don't think so. That would be an inconsequential way of mining. It's more akin to prospecting (the task, as opposed to the ship). It would really need an overhaul of the mining mechanics too, even though they really need an overhaul.

I would not mind a wheeled or tracked vehicle that can enter caves, or even create caves to mine minerals. This mechanic is kind of an afterthought on CIG's part, and my fear is they're going to do it the mickey mouse way again.
If they put really valuable stuff in caves then it'll be worth it. Think of this as a TEST(get it?) for future valuable artifacts that you can find in caves.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
You can't wait to stick your ship in a hole huh?

Can't blame him. Exploring caves is enjoyable. But I have to agree with @Vavrik on this I am not keen on the idea of mining in caves and would rather they just be interesting locations for loot stashes or bandit camps or even mission spawn points. Unless caves can have pure high-grade rare ore there is no need to explore caves to mine.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
If they put really valuable stuff in caves then it'll be worth it. Think of this as a TEST(get it?) for future valuable artifacts that you can find in caves.
heh, I get it, and I kind of like that, so like precious and semi precious gems? that would be cool, and give an actual reason for some of the ground vehicles we have almost no use for right now.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
As a kid, I loved exploring wherever I could from climbing trees to taking tours of cave systems when & where ever possible. I'll be happy to explore caves in game just for the sake of doing so. As for mining, I'm in the area of mind that if it was up to me, the things that could be mined in caves would be both very rare, but also the most expensive stuff that you can mine. Yes, I know, Prospectors & Orions will make more money because they can mine more volume, but the most valuable mine-able items should be gathered by hand in hard to access locations.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74

lol, agreed! Maybe if a single rock would bring me UEC 20,000, but short of that, FPS mining seems a bit of a stretch.

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
I do think that these caves are where we are going to get the high quality quantum fuel.
Thats a distinct possibility as they said on Live last week that the team had been reassigned from Salvage to work on Q Fuel mining.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
I think harvesting/mining will allow for much more gameplay than will be available right away.

We are going to have to have harvestables so we can make food/drugs/whatever. We will also need to be able to assay an area. So I come in, I make a scan which shows large ore deposits are potentially there. I sell that info to a broker. and the price of the land goes up. She sells it to someone else, who comes in with setup to do core samples or other harvesting. This can be taken back to "prove" the resources. Then the price of the location of that land goes up even more, or the sample comes back with deep reserves, but at such low concentrations it's not economically viable to extract. Price then goes down.

New plants will need to be assessed with science instruments to see if they are poisonous, have medicinal value, or can be used for some purpose (cut up and made into distilled spirits for instance, turned into processed food, sold as a luxury food, etc.

I really think this is the next step towards exploration.

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Think the cave thingy will be very interesting to explore and I hope they put some caves in some unlikely regions as not only on moons and planets but in large asteroids to.
And I do hope they let their imagination run wild on this feature, such as old abandon settlements in some caves not just rocks and minerals.
Well anyways a very interesting feature IMO I'm looking forward to it.

CHEERS! 🍻

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Think the cave thingy will be very interesting to explore and I hope they put some caves in some unlikely regions as not only on moons and planets but in large asteroids to.
And I do hope they let their imagination run wild on this feature, such as old abandon settlements in some caves not just rocks and minerals.
Well anyways a very interesting feature IMO I'm looking forward to it.

CHEERS! 🍻
Great, so not just Sand Worms, but Asteroid Worms as well....sheesh!

Forgot your password?