Chaff

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I presume almost everyone here is familiar with their electronic countermeasures known as "chaff". Since I have an abiding interest in Electronic Warfare, I'm curious what people can tell me about the use of chaff in the game. So some quick questions.

Do you have just one type of chaff for Radar Cross Section (RCS), Electromagnetic (EM) and Infrared (IR)?

Is there any sort of control how much chaff you can load on your bird? Do all ships carry the same number of chaff charges? Are they each set individually, and read somewhere on your hud?

Are there any birds that automatically eject chaff at the proper time, or is this always a pilot controlled issue?

How long does the chaff operate?

At what range and over how large an area will chaff work?

Has anyone here tried to scramble a signature with chaff without a missile lock? For example, has anyone tried to scramble their signature to avoid identification, rather than to avoid a missile locked on you? Does anyone know if this works?

Chaff is one of the simplest parts of EW, and I am trying to understand what it can be used for at present. So for example:

You're part of a stealth team attempting to board a Reclaimer. You know it will be in a particular area and have part of your team at each of two distant points. One is just a stealth scout craft, intended to trick the target into running into the rest of your group. Can you launch chaff and jam incoming radar, and at the same time make it appear there is more going on than there is, in order to force the Reclaimer into the waiting jaws of your party?

EW needs to be cool and I'm just wondering what is in game now. Anyone doing cool things with chaff?

Reactions: Vavrik

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Right now there is only 2 kinds of Chaff and you have no control over how much is loaded and each ship has a different amount.

It doesn't seem to mess up missile lock just missile targeting and I have not noticed any difference between IR and EM chaff both seem to be effective against all missiles. As for how its suppose to work there has been very little in the way of development comment.

Reactions: Kiladyn and Vavrik

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Good question ^^, good answer ^. It's a very basic system. No RCS. Think 1950's at the most, kind of goes along with the subway system in Loreville.

Reactions: Bambooza
Forgot your password?