Changes in RSI schedule

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca
Just in case someone else asked himself what changes occured here https://robertsspaceindustries.com/schedule-report
I tried to create some kind of comparison of the ongoing process between last week and today:

Improved Lighting for Fog Tech

We are implementing a new fog system in the game to improve the overall feel in various environments such as ships and shops. In doing this, we need to convert the old fog volumes to this new system and do another sweep through existing lighting to ensure the new fog works with the lights correctly. This work is still being estimated out, so a fuller update should be provided next week.
ETA is TBD

changed to:
We have implemented a new fog system in the game to improve [...]
ETA is TBD

---------------------------------------------
Entity Owner Manager

The Entity Owner Manager will track entities that are moved around the universe, making sure we spawn and unspawn them at the correct time
LA Engineering identified further additional tasks needed to support persistence and netcode.
ETA is 11th August

changed to:

Code Complete. This now allows the backend team to properly hook into this system.

-----------------------------
Vehicle Customizer App

This app will allow players to customize their ship via the ship customization screen, so edits can be done without locating the exact port on the ship.
Date has slipped due to critical bugfixing and additional work needed on the Loadout Refactor.
ETA is 21st August (was 9th August)

changed to:

During recent gameplay reviews with the directors, additional items of polish and general feature feedback has been received and incorporated into the schedule to achieve the desired level of polish we require before releasing.
ETA is 4th September (was 21st August)

--------------------------------
Ship Selector App & Insurance Claim

This app would exist alongside the Ship Selection Terminals in the Persistent Universe, allowing players more freedom to spawn ships at designated locations.
Work on this feature was affected by general bugfixing support as well as resolving issues with MFD’s.
ETA is 15th August (was 11th August)

changed to:

This app would exist alongside the Ship Selection Terminals in the Persistent Universe, allowing players more freedom to spawn ships at designated locations.
During recent gameplay reviews with the directors, additional items of polish and general feature feedback has been received and incorporated into the schedule to achieve the desired level of polish we require before releasing.
ETA is 29th August (Was 15th August)

[Well this thing seems to create a lot of problems]

Solved Bugs in the past weeks

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Comms System UI

We are adding the initial implementation of the Comms System in to 3.0.0 which will allow players to hail in order to request landing while at the various space stations in the PU.
The team has identified further work needed for this feature, but will be unable to immediately start work due to resourcing conflicts.
ETA is 25th August (was 16th August)

changed to:

We are adding the initial implementation of the Comms System in to 3.0.0 which will allow players to hail in order to request landing while at the various space stations in the PU.
ETA is 6th September (was 25th August)

-------------------------------------------

Also a great bug has been solved (Thx spectrum users)

Fixed an issue where exiting Star Marine and joining a Crusader instance would cause the character to spawn as a ball.

----------------------------------------------

Ongoing Bug squeezing process:
(I will be analysing more and might change this here so you might want to take a look later)

They seem to identify problems and bug killing process seems to speed up. At this date they are killing ~1 bug per day. So i hope as some problems get identified things will speed up.
At the moment solving 10 bugs creates 8 new bugs.

-------------------------------------------
TLDR:
The whole mobi glass and "App" thing seem to cause a lot of problems. I'm assuming that item 2.0 implementation needs more work to be done.

Work seems to move on for critical bugs. Blocker bugs didn't change a lot.
So i guess:
blocker bugs are very hard to detect and fix and/or fixing blockers create more blocker issues

I guess they are currently not working on High and moderate bugs.

Attachments

Last edited:

Takeiteasy

Admiral
May 21, 2017
RSI Handle
Takeiteasy
More delays lol I know it's a monumental task getting the tech off the ground but I am getting impatient, I want it NOW!!!!

Okay maybe not since a lot of stuff isn't quite working yet but I lose a part of my soul every week that goes by adds another week to the schedule and it upsets me.

I'll go play Crash Bandicoot again :)

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca
Current ATV Burndown:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ik9FwfKaNM

Things speed up and we can only hope that it will stay that way. Still we are at roughly at 68 days left of bug fixing, assuming no further increase in speed.
Unbenannt.png

Something which is a "real" blocker issue to me can be seen here:
View: https://youtu.be/_ik9FwfKaNM?t=5m15s

Still my impression is mobiglass and UI are causing more work than expected:
View: https://youtu.be/_ik9FwfKaNM?t=4m50s

My best current guestimation is 46 days left:
assuming an slightly increasing process which would leave us to early october with an average of 2 bugs/day in the end.

For those who like charts:
Unbenannt.png

Unbenannt.png

Last edited:

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
Current ATV Burndown:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ik9FwfKaNM

Things speed up and we can only hope that it will stay that way. Still we are at roughly at 68 days left of bug fixing, assuming no further increase in speed.
View attachment 7385

Something which is a "real" blocker issue to me can be seen here:
View: https://youtu.be/_ik9FwfKaNM?t=5m15s

Still my impression is mobiglass and UI are causing more work than expected:
View: https://youtu.be/_ik9FwfKaNM?t=4m50s

My best current guestimation is 46 days left:
assuming an slightly increasing process which would leave us to early october with an average of 2 bugs/day in the end.
Only time will truly tell. I hope its sooner rather than later, but we will see.

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca
Only time will truly tell. I hope its sooner rather than later, but we will see.
Numbers havn't changed much since burndown

if you want to check it by yourself
https://www.diffchecker.com/pTosJPkL

Blocker issues have been going down to 7 which is quite a big step forward.

I'm just making guesses but fixed "blockers" for me are
- Fixed an issue where exiting the pilot seat after quantum travelling caused the player to teleport back to their starting point.
- Fixed an issue where some players would spawn in and be invisible.

Something new (Is this the "Ship view improvement" everyone is talking about?):

Cockpit Experience

The Cockpit Experience sprint team focused on improving the overall player experience in the cockpit by refining the cockpit geo, character placement, g-force/hit reactions, VFX, Audio, UI, as well as code support for things like camera shaking and hooking into ship health systems to display proper damage.

ETA is 5th September
Hint System
Implementing seems to start

Thats all cya next week

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca
reporting in (a little bit to late, because i got sick)
Current diffchecker
https://www.diffchecker.com/iXc78Efl

Work has started on Relighting for Fog Tech (all environments and ships)
------------------------------------------
Mission Givers
has been delayed again to 8th september (was 25th august)
------------------------------------------
Some bugfixes/ongoing work, seems to be successfully (?) completed (or they have moved stuff around to make the schedule look better):
Insurance
Player Manned Turrets
Doors & Airlocks
Cargo
Commodities
Kiosk Support
Repair
Inventory System Support
Rover and Dragonfly in Ships
IFCS Performance Improvements
Hint System
Item 2.0 Multi Function Displays
Mission Manager App
Cargo Manifest App
mobiGlas Overhaul
Render to Texture
Drake Dragonfly
RSI Constellation Aquila
MISC Prospector

probably some more which i might have missed
------------------------------------
as mentioned before bug count has gone up.
Good news is at least it havn't been to many blocker issues, but mostly critical ones. (red is guessed from the chart)
Unbenannt.png

Also those bugs delay the evocati build, but they needed to be fixed anyway.

since i'm not a software developer i found a good definition of bug types:

blocker - the functionality does not work in main area (businness cannot be provided) and which prevent further testing
(e.g. you cant log in, or you can't enter the ship)

critical - the functionality does not work in main area or has a significant impact (but there is a work around)

major (high?) - the functionality does not work but not in main area (business can be provided)

Attachments

Last edited:

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca
Diffchecker:
https://www.diffchecker.com/lZkJiVbL

Cockpit Experience and
Mission System
is delayed to TBD (was 05 and 01. September)

Still problematic and ongoing further delays
Vehicle Customizer App (04.09. -> 11.09)
Ship Selector App & Insurance Claim (04.09. -> 12.09)

Good news
Comms System UI seems to come into place ( The entire comms system will undergo final implementation)

18 Bugs have been smashed this week (which isn't that bad)
1 more Blocker bug occured
Unbenannt.png

No stats on created vs solved have been provided for a while. But slowly CIG is returning back into the pre gamescom state. Lets hope they keep on smashing bugs with Mark Abents promotion.
(https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6yx6r4/discolando_mark_abent_taking_a_short_break_from/)

Marcel Busse

Space Marshal
Sep 18, 2016
RSI Handle
Warhawk_29
i was a programmer, and from my understanding are blockers bugs, that prevent from staging to 3.0

so what they only need to do is to remove theese blockers.

sc is still in alpha, so you can expect that they wont remove all bugs till 3.0 release.

and you cannot say that it is more difficult to remove a blocker or a high, its different ,there are several ways to remove bugs.

if they located already the bug, this is most worth, finding bugs is the hardest work, rather to remove them.

that bugs depend on each other, or killing generate new bugs, are two different shoes.

if 2 bugs depend on each other it is 1 issue also 1 bug, because a bug cannot depend on another one.

it will just go 1 category up.

example. during gamescom, the pilot of the connie bugged out, during quantum drive, and they had to restart the server.

so if they remove this "bug" by allowing again all players to pilot the ship, we would have again all folks stealing ships. so this bug would generate another one by removing it.

what they have to do here is to set up a game logic for this, what costs much time.

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca
after browsing the cig page, i found out, that they want to remove all the bugs, they mention in the burndown report until 3.0 release.
They mentioned before all those bugs need to be removed to get the game to evocati not 3.0. Evecati might turn up with other "blockers".
I'm not sure where i stated that blockers are harder to remove, what i've unterstood so far blockers usally prevent further testing or the whole functionality (which somehow might prevent testing too). What i tried to say is that the focus should be on those blockers, once they are out of the way it is becoming unlikely that more blockers occur.

Depending on the last provided data with 10 fixed bugs 8 "new" occur or are created.

Also those definitions are not set in stone and very subjective.

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca
Whew things sped up much faster than i expected. Last week Erin Roberts made the decision to remove some bugs from the must fix list and get a early evocati build ready (
View: https://youtu.be/FhywXu8vsuM?t=8m28s
). Also to focus more on single features.

I expected from that point roughly roughly two bugs per day. But as is said CIG turned on cruise mode and at the current state seven bugs prevent the evocati build. The average bug elimination is currently at 2.7 bugs per day from 15th september on. Which might give us an early evocati release by next week.

Unbenannt.png

Forgot your password?