Chris Roberts on getting the F8 Lightning

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I would not be planning on buying and playing SQ42 except that I want/need at least one straight fighter, and there isn't a better. So if it takes a few weeks obsession, so be it.

I think too there is huge benefit in understanding how the UEE works, capabilities of various big ships you might otherwise not run across, etc. If oyu leave SQ42 as a war hero, seems NPCs will treat you differently in the PU and that could be fun too.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Judging from pictures, i assume it will have:

4 x S4 guns beneath the wings
2 x S5 guns on the front
2 x S4 Gun-Turret on top
at least 6 x S5/6 rockets

Heavy plating/armor
Speed at 275 SCM / 1250 AB
Agility: a little higher than an Eclipse

Price: ~ 500 $
I think it is 8 S3 guns total. Still, what else has 8 guns? And expect the agility to be far, far better than the Eclipse. It should be better than the Sabre.

Heartwood

Space Marshal
Oct 30, 2017
RSI Handle
Heartwood
I think it is 8 S3 guns total. Still, what else has 8 guns? And expect the agility to be far, far better than the Eclipse. It should be better than the Sabre.
Comapring the sizes, i remain confident on the S5 guns.
The Eclipse is actually quite agile for it's size and stealth, just flew it in combat for some time. Considering the ship's size and game role, a heavy fighter should never be quicker than a light fighter. It's plating / mass has to have an impact here.

Just a gut feeling though.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Based on how sweet the F8 seems to be equipped, I'll possibly lol so hard I fall out of my chair if I ever see some nOOb who chose to not bother getting SQ42 that then claims a person that beats them in a dogfight is hacking & using pay to play advantages. Yes, the F8 will be worth the difficulty to earn either way, but those who earn it in game will clearly have gained some skills in the games tactics along the way.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Thank you, Glorious Leader!

Loved the video, high energy and full of positivity, especially the bit with CR chattin' away about the plans for PU tokens, but noted the word "Idea" used a lot.

Some previous ideas have not come to pass or had to change when they were found to be unworkable or hopelessly exploitable*, which has caused a lot of salt and a fair bit of butthurt on Spectrum with people accusing CIG of "lying" where I've had to step in and argue that this is just part of an evolving game being built and it will all work out, which for the most part it has (most recent example the early performance issues of the 600i in the PTU until patch 3.2.L where the butthurt and threats of refunds and lawsuits suddenly stopped when the 600 became what the brochure said it was going to be.)

Can @Montoya or other TESTies use their Corporate Efficiency and contacts in CIG to confirm if the plan indicated in the video for the F8 and S42 is set-in-stone and will come to pass? I like the process of being part of an alpha development and accept that things may and do change if they are found to be unworkable in reality (The Cutlass is a case history of this, and of it turning out for the better) but many backers of the Spectrum Variety will see this as another "lie" and "personal betrayal" if it doesn't happen, so please Glorious Leader, do we know for sure if this idea is one that is going to go forward and see life in game?

I'd love what was said about S42 to be the case as I was saying the F8 would probably be the reward for beating S42 on Hardest mode back in the day, and it'd be nice to be right about something for once. I'm not saying it was my idea, great minds do tend to think alike ;-) ;-) ;-)

* = for instance an exploit I can think of for this case may be playing S42 using aim-bots and other cheats to the point you get the ship token, buying the F8, then uninstalling S42 and reinstalling to play over fresh to the point you get the token again and repeating, Wracking up a fleet of F8's by either doing this or making a load of Alt accounts and gifting the F8 to your main account over and over could be a thing for those most dedicated to doucebaggery. Combated by making the F8 non-giftable and only one per account, but this is the kind of thing they will be fighting against.

Last edited:

Tealwraith

Heresy detector
Donor
May 31, 2017
RSI Handle
Tealwraith
I get the feeling that this will be the Raptor from WC. Heavy armor, heavy shields, heavy guns and not so fast or maneuverable. The problem is, it's a fighter and I'll bet it has no cargo space so you'll basically be killing things in it and not much else game play.

Forgot your password?