CIG and Turbulent opens Canadian studio

Makimera

Vice Admiral
Oct 27, 2019
RSI Handle
Maki
TURBULENT CREATES NEW GAME DEVELOPMENT STUDIO IN MONTREAL TO MAKE WORLDS FOR STAR CITIZEN

Over the next three years, Turbulent and CIG have plans to grow the studio to 100 developers.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
haha, unfortunatly it sounds like they will only work on "worlds" wich guess means planets.
Still concerned. CIG has failed twice before with outsourcing parts of their game, and its not like Turbulent has been very successful with creating a simple forum and website that doesn't crash often. As much as CIG might own a percent stake in Turbulent, CIG is not the only customer of Turbulent and so I have to wonder if its not a bad choice. If the planets made by Turbulent are not going to have to be reworked.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
O dear. Last time they outsourced whole disciplines they ended up having to start from scratch on all those assets and wasted over a year.

Given turbulent's perfromance has not been in line with the rest of CIG this seems to me to be a bad move!

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Given turbulent's perfromance has not been in line with the rest of CIG this seems to me to be a bad move!
This has to do more with cost savings. Erin Roberts and Todd Pappy are on the staff, so its not as if the Turbulent is off doing its own thing.

Having 100 employees working on planets and moons in the Austin or LA studios will cost $X.

Having the same or more amount of employees getting paid in Canadian pesos is $X minus exchange rates and cost of living in Montreal, which by their math works out better.

Texelis

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
Texelis
Honestly, having a studio working solely on planets and moons is pretty exciting. Ramp our expansion up.

Reactions: Scape

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Honestly, having a studio working solely on planets and moons is pretty exciting. Ramp our expansion up.
Turbulent is just a website dev. This is a completely new direction and adding a new gaming studio to Montreal, which big news.

Montreal has some good talent, EA has offices there, also Motive, which is basically EA.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
While I share the CONCERNE! of outsourcing, this might end up fine!

On previous episodes on the youtube shows they have shown how they reworked and created artist friendly tools and interfaces for working with planets and assets on them. I think they built a system that is idiot proof enough that there can be no fuck ups of such scale as before with Star Marine.
This should make at least the long and repetitive task of generating planets and moons with some hand crafted areas much faster. Story/missions and the "hero" locations will need to be implemented as well and I have a feeling those will be done by core CIG staff at first at least.
It will take a while to get up to pace, but this should ensure that we get at least the initial batch of 20? or so star systems done within this century lol

Reactions: Scape

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
Glad to see that they have work planned out for the next 3 years 🙃

Turbulent has had....a less than stellar reputation among the CIG community, but I am far and away not an expert on anything related to development so I just hear people blasting them for sucking.

Hopefully this isn't another Ilfonic situation where in 2 years CIG has to go "whoops, we have to do this all over again!".

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
If I wanted to live in Canada, I'd choose Nova Scotia and import my developers from Montreal, Toronto, and Vancouver :). The cheapest solution would be Montreal and steal the developers from ubisoft.

wit.fwd

Lieutenant
Nov 22, 2020
RSI Handle
PrincipeCapio
I wonder if this studio will be making ships, more planets or the core stuff .-.

edit: nvm they’re making planets and stuff, nice!!

Last edited:
Forgot your password?