Citizen Cards - FYI

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Nope.

He is using Star Citizen assets, this is their IP.

If he wants to produce these and give them away for free, that is fine, otherwise prepare for a cease and desist letter from Toast.

GrumpyCat

Space Marshal
Dec 17, 2014
RSI Handle
SofiyaPavlovena
Nope.

If he wants to produce these and give them away for free, that is fine, otherwise prepare for a cease and desist letter from Toast.
Well aren't you the negative nancy lol. I hope you are wrong, and we'll have to wait and see what concierge says.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Well aren't you the negative nancy lol. I hope you are wrong, and we'll have to wait and see what concierge says.
Im not wrong, its called intellectual property, and if he is using the Star Citizen logo, that is pretty much as trademark as you can ever get with your IP.

Concierge will simply repeat what I just told you.

Calignosity

Vice Admiral
Jul 15, 2017
RSI Handle
Calignosity
We deal with IP issues all the time at work. You have to aggressively protect your IP or you lose the right to. Now, as far as the idea itself, it is a very cool idea - if the person were in fact able to make a formal deal with RSI it would do well I'd imagine.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Now, as far as the idea itself, it is a very cool idea - if the person were in fact able to make a formal deal with RSI it would do well I'd imagine.
There will be no formal deal because CIG makes these cards themselves, they don't need a 3rd party to offer them services which they already have.

Same as if I went and offered to print them some Star Citizen shirts.

Calignosity

Vice Admiral
Jul 15, 2017
RSI Handle
Calignosity
There will be no formal deal because CIG makes these cards themselves, they don't need a 3rd party to offer them services which they already have.

Same as if I went and offered to print them some Star Citizen shirts.
Was kinda my point. It would have to be a formal deal. :) The fact that they don't need it doesn't mean the person didn't have a cool idea. But no, it can't be pursued as a 3rd party thing. Especially for profit without permission etc...

Can it "never" happen? No idea. Even Disney licenses 3rd parties to do things they "can" do but don't want to spend the resources on.

That being said, IP can't and shouldn't ever be used without authority from the IP holder. If it is, one should definitely expect a C&D.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
That being said, IP can't and shouldn't ever be used without authority from the IP holder. If it is, one should definitely expect a C&D.
You sound like you work in some law related field, can we hire you as a our space lawyer?

You see, all the mineral rich asteroid belts belong to TEST, but all these other pesky smaller orgs keep trying to get them, can you rain down some justice on them?

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
You sound like you work in some law related field, can we hire you as a our space lawyer?

You see, all the mineral rich asteroid belts belong to TEST, but all these other pesky smaller orgs keep trying to get them, can you rain down some justice on them?
Justice is best delivered by Talon Argos IX. :)

Calignosity

Vice Admiral
Jul 15, 2017
RSI Handle
Calignosity
@Montoya - LOL I actually work for a company that provides 3D assets for games and other CG related endeavors. :slight_smile: Our figures and assets are constantly being ripped and we send a good number of C&Ds on a regular basis. :slight_smile:

edit: If I ever get my hands on a Sabre I would love to help reign down on some people. I'll work my way up from there....grow, reign....grow more....reign more. Someday, I will be a holy terror!!!! hahahahah

Reactions: DirectorGunner

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
Here's what I'd do...
#1 Make my own art
#2 Leave it is fan art (do not try to turn it into a business model)
#3 If demand is high enough, relay info to CIG and ask to partner with their supervision and their control.

The thing is, supervision and control of new products takes resources, and CIG might not have extra resources to devote to supervising such things. Easier route is purchasing a license agreement to use their IP/branding on a specific product.. say action figures or card game or board game. Though I would think they would prefer to go through well established brands for that (say NECA for action figures, IF NECA was interested) and I'd assume the license agreement would not be cheap by any stretch of the imagination. This is all assumptions ofc, no way to know unless someone asks for these kinds of details for a specific situation/proposal.

Reactions: Mich Angel

Thugari

Space Marshal
Mar 11, 2016
RSI Handle
Thugari
Nope.

How about some spiffy Test ID cards? just teasing you don't kill me @Montoya

Forgot your password?