marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
There is only one profession I really like in the verse, that is combat fighter. It seems that allot players think that they are not so good pilots. That is a matter of training, use the style that fits your skills the best and use the right technics. Some tips may help to improve your skills so lets get started.
Feel free to add your tips, I'm surely not the only Combat Pilot.
I also think that flying together won't improve skills because I can't see in my fighter how other pilots fly so I can't give tips in flight what to improve and the other way too.
But... I'm very sad that I almost never meet other TEST pilots in combat. Please add my RSI handle and don't be afraid to invite me.
The only TEST pilot I ever met in Vanduul swarms, twice now is @CMDR_J_SHEPHERD .

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2016
RSI Handle
BlackBones
There is only one profession I really like in the verse, that is combat fighter. It seems that allot players think that they are not so good pilots. That is a matter of training, use the style that fits your skills the best and use the right technics. Some tips may help to improve your skills so lets get started.
I would appreciate some tips.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Practicing is where it's at. Every ship is different and will require different techniques for each ship and each opponent, but in general pilots who fly all the time excel at what they do. That's just the general rule. If you are finishing all the waves of the Vanduul that come against you without even flying the best fighter for that task, that means you have a clue which is probably better than the rest of us. And indeed you have been sharing tips. I'm just nudging you to do a little more of that is all.

For instance, tell us what is the easiest ship to finish all the Vanduul hoards? I'm guessing the SuperHornet with one specific load out, but if you were going to recommend one ship to fight Vanduul fighters, what would it be and what kind of build? Can you get that in Void armor and do you think that is worth it? I know there are a lot of us VERY interested in stealth capability, as well as EM warfare. It's the stuff with "win" written all over it. I think there will be some ways that the Hornet is going to become the go-to fighter, especially given it can take cargo. The ability to swap out between cargo, EM, scan, stealth and added guns, it pretty awesome. Unless you have plans for that S4 mount in the Buck, the Hornet looks a bit more dangerous to me. Do you think that is so?
The easiest ship is the Sabre, especially now they don't spawn as a big wave but spread over the field in pairs. Stealth is a big advantage with this spawn setup. The other Vanduuls won't engage until the Sabre is close enough for them to attack so the Sabre can finish of one pair and move to the next pair. Because of the big distance, the Sabre can engage the widely spread pairs easily.
Repeaters help allot, the more, the better, that's why I'm so sad that they removed the capability to replace the rocket pods on the Mustang with CF-117 Badgers.
A few days ago I had to fight in my Avenger the Vanduuls together with 2 Hornets. Both Hornets had ballistics. The had only 2 CF117 and the Tigerstreik. I almost made almost as much points as the two Hornets together because I was more agile, had faster firing guns and could close the gap between the next pair of Vanduuls much faster then the Hornets could.
The match before that I had to fight in my Gladiator together with 2 Sabres.... Lets just say, they shot every Vanduul out of the sky before I even was in firing distance.
I have allot fighters (almost every up to $200, that is my hard limit), including Sabre and Super Hornet. The best fighter are those 2, Sabre is fast agile and has a mean punch, Super Hornet is just awesome with 2 CF227, 2 CF117 and 2 M3A. I hardly fly them, recently I have flown in the Hornet, the Sabre is collecting dust.

The best way to improve your flying and fighting skills is to pick a lesser fighter and try to stay alive.

The Avenger and Gladius are light fast and agile but undergunned, flying them improves your blackout control and marksmanship
The Delta is agile and low armored, flying it improves your dodging skills.
I hope that the Buccaneer has the same characteristics as the Delta, but no, the Buccaneer has allot of firepower and speed, a new kind of fighter.
The 350R is very fast but has the same hardpoints as the 325A, I still am trying to figure out how I can use that advantage in combat, until now it improves the blackout skills.
The Aurora is slow, undergunned, not agile, I have allot of respect for pilots who fly them in combat. It surely improves your dodging skills and marksmanship, especially since its armor went down in 2.4
The P52, P72 and Dragonfly are for fun. The pilot that takes that into combat has allot of guts :D
The Sabre and Hornet are to good, flying it improves your laziness ;)

Metal-Muffin

Space Marshal
Aug 28, 2015
RSI Handle
Metal-Muffin
Feel free to add your tips, I'm surely not the only Combat Pilot.
I also think that flying together won't improve skills because I can't see in my fighter how other pilots fly so I can't give tips in flight what to improve and the other way too.
But... I'm very sad that I almost never meet other TEST pilots in combat. Please add my RSI handle and don't be afraid to invite me.
The only TEST pilot I ever met in Vanduul swarms, twice now is @CMDR_J_SHEPHERD .
Just the tips, please.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Just the tips, please.
First and most important: get your controls right. I'm sorry for the mouse users, I am a HOTAS/rudder user so not allot useful tips here. You can't combat while looking for the right button. First prioritize. You must have primary and secondary controls under direct control.
Primary:
- Pitch
- Yaw
- Targeting
- Fire
- Counter measurements
Secondary:
- Strafe
- Boost
- Zoom
- Throttle
- Roll
- Missiles
Some people like to keep their desk functional, other @Just Jake like to go to the limit and create a real good cockpit. I'm somewhere in the middle.
Since I use rudder, a turning chair is out of the question, you can't roll while your chair turns the opposite side.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Second, also not unimportant, how to use your controls, a few are obvious, but other are underrated.
The obvious ones
- Pitch
- Yaw
- Fire
- Missiles
- Counter measurements

The underrated:

Targeting:
I use a 4 way hat switch for targeting:
front: Reticle focus
back: Pin focused
left: Cycle all
right: Nearest hostile

If you fight with more people a swarm, then it doesn't make sense to pick all the same target. Choose a group of targets and go for them.
If you kill one, then you might go after the closest, but the closest gets chosen the moment you killed your target. If the new target was flying in the opposite direction, then it may not be the ideal target any more. You must make a 180, while doing that losing your speed and be a perfect target for other enemies. Since speed is one of your best evasive actions, you rather want to keep it up.
A better approach would be to kill a target and choose manually a new target with reticle focus. Choose a target in front of you, if possible a target going in the same direction as where you are turning to, but closer is better because you can do more damage. Too close is not good because the chances are great that the target will pass you and then you must turn / loose speed to keep it in your reticle. Also never turn in to a target if its wingman is flying behind him, in case of 2 targets, always pick the last one. You can approach them in 2 ways, head on firing all guns or pass them on some distance to turn into them so you will get behind them. Head on means a tight turn, if more enemies are close then you will be a perfect target for them.
That is why the reticle focus is always under my thumb, always try to get the best target and that is often not the nearest hostile.

Pin focused is good to pin your allies, In 2.3 the pinned target always had a pointing arrow towards them, so you always knew on which direction they are. If you want to work as a group, then a good target not always is the best you can kill. If you can prevent that an ally gets shot down, then it will help you too to progress. Allies have 2 functions, the obvious is that they help you to defeat the enemy. The second function is that they will spread the focus of your enemy. If every enemy is aiming at you then you are more concentrated on evasive actions then killing enemies. Your primary target is killing as fast as possible as much a possible enemies, because if they get time to concentrate their fire on you, then you will be death soon. This implies, your primary target is killing as much as possible enemies and try to keep your allies alive. Help them if possible

Strafe:
If you engage an enemy head on, then you will get closer. There are 3 types of distance to your target: too far away, firing distance and too close. When engaging and using strafing and strafing, you primary are avoiding enemy fire, but if you strafe away from your enemy, you are also increasing the time that you are in firing distance, meanwhile keeping up distance so your turn into the enemy will be wider so you loose less speed. If enemy anticipates your strafe, then you will get hits. An opposite tactic is strafe towards your enemy. You will get a short time in the line of fire, but your enemy will loose target and must turn in the opposite direction to catch up again.
Another advantage of strafing is that if an asteroid is in your path while keeping your guns focused on target, you can alter your path without loosing focus.
Strafing also helps turning tighter without loosing speed. If I engage a target and strafe away, then I will reverse strafe while passing the target to speed up the time to get that target in my gunsight without loosing too much speed.

Boost:
While turning boost helps allot to gain speed again, Speed is your best friend in dodging fire and missiles. Also if you are heading for the next big rock, make a 180 or whatever is necessary to get away from it an hit boost to speed up the evasive action. In emergencies hit the afterburner, but beware, boost overrides you G-force safety, release it on time to avoid blackout.

Zoom:
If closing in on a target, then Zoom helps allot to improve your aim. remember to zoom out on time, you won't see asteroids in your path while use strafe and zoom at the same time. I tend to stay zoomed too long, need to practice that. Zoom really is fantastic. Before zoom my Gladius was a nice to have but way undergunned, with zoom my Gladius became really effective.

Throttle:
In my 350R I need throttle to avoid blackouts. On all my other fighter I hit full throttle on spawn and keep it that way. I try to maintain target distance with strafe.

Roll:
Realistic roll is on the stick left/right and yaw is on the rudder. I'm an old fighter pilot. In the beginning we didn't had roll, only pitch and yaw, (we also had digital joysticks!!!!) so the stick always was pitch and yaw, you can't do without, roll is luxury. When I got my HOTAS without roll, I missed roll. When I got my rudder pedals I got used to missing roll and more appreciated the left brake pedal as zoom.
Roll is good to keep target focus and to minimize negative G-force effects. Lets keep it simple. If you are turning and your head points to the inside of your curve, then the blood would leave your head. Blackout. If your head points to the outside of your curve, then the blood will go to your head, Redout. You can have more Blackout G-forces then Redout G-forces. Use roll to keep your head on the inside of your curve.
Another good use of roll is evasive actions If you are flying away from or engaging towards your enemy, he will try to shoot at you. If you apply strafe, then he can anticipate. If you use roll and strafe together, then you are flying in a straight line but rolling around that line. Very hard to his. If I'm not mistaking, this is called a barrel roll. I find it not that useful while engaging a target, but it is surely useful while trying to fly away and evade enemy fire. Also very useful while trying to evade a missile.
Keeping your speed and maintain strafe also is very useful while evading missiles.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
I'm looking forward to trying some of these tactics out. Thanks. Great info here.
This was only the control usage tip, to display why certain controls are very important ;)
I still must sort out how I can reconfigure weapongroup configuration during flight easy and fast. HUD control where very dramatic. Right now I must switch fire button assignment before fight because some ships have their heavy guns assigned as weapongroup 1 and their lighter weapons assigned as weapongroup 2.
I use a dual stage fire button. Always start with lighter weapons and add the heavier weapons when having a better aim. This has the big advantage that you start hitting your target (sometimes) from a distance, preventing him from easy lining up and targeting you. Your target must start to evade from a distance.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
same, i group all 3 panthers together everytime i get in the ship, its not too hard, takes me about 3 seconds, i actually mapped out a VoiceAttack Command specifically to do this quick and easily.
I found voice attack Anna....o_O..... fckng long xml :eek::eek::eek: 25 MB for plain text :confused:
I must decipher that one :rolleyes:, weapon group management is a very convenient addition, especially when flying allot different types of ships

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I found voice attack Anna....o_O..... fckng long xml :eek::eek::eek: 25 MB for plain text :confused:
I must decipher that one :rolleyes:, weapon group management is a very convenient addition, especially when flying allot different types of ships
Dunno if you know, but you can rebind the keys in voice attack itself. Load the profile, then use the edit profile command.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
I had a discussion in another thread about firegroups and how to configure them. Seems like I also must check out the VoiceAttack option since it really improves your gun emplacement, because using HUD in game to configure firegroups really is a pain in the a$$.

same, i group all 3 panthers together everytime i get in the ship, its not too hard, takes me about 3 seconds, i actually mapped out a VoiceAttack Command specifically to do this quick and easily. Stage 1 trigger fires panthers, Stage 2 fires all weapons. and my panthers rarely overheat. I guess, thats kinda where trigger discipline comes in, but being a former .50 Cal Gunner in the army, and also having plenty of experience with the M249 SAW and M240B i have gotten good at controlled bursts that almost always land on or near the target. my trick with the behring is to wait until its pip lines up with the panthers, or the enemy is close enough that both pips are on the ship.
Voice attack replaces key strokes? Which keystrokes/commands you must do to change weapon groups? I really hated to do this in HUD, it never worked properly: enable one weapon in weapongroup 2, another weapon also get disabled in weapongroup 1, try to enable the other weapon again in weapon group 1, the first weapen gets disabled disabled again in weapon group 2. very unstable behaviour.
Voice attack takes your commands and hits keys which you can configure. You can even tell it to 'listen' to your command and setup the bind for you. You can also tell it to output text-to-speak, or audio feedback, or audio files, etc. It's nifty.
One big advantage of all same guns in one firegroup is that you only have one pip to aim at, Sometimes this isn't possible because the placement (wingtip, ballturret, nose turret, canard) of the weapon point default is bad in the Fire groups. Firegroups are hard to configure in the HUD. VoiceAttack seems to me a good solution.

That's what Ripcord was referring to with "trigger discipline". Even if you are flying all lasers and can't run out of ammo, most ships ability to recharge their shields is tied to limits in the reactor and weapons, so refusing to fire when you don't need to is always the best option. Also note that firing gives away your position, and if an additional combatant enters a fray he will find you faster if you're firing. So you don't fire when you don't need to! If you get good enough at holding off the trigger you can substitute much heavier damage weapons that create far less heat and need less power, all of which makes you harder to find and harder for missiles to lock on you. If you have to use lasers and the Panther overheats, shoot an Omni or Behring. The Panther overheats in 34s. The Omni in 40s. The Behring does not overheat at all. See the far right hand side of this chart under "Time to Overheat":

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nU2Ten4SWLfPrB92PsuJ2xNEevBDc5Rkqr7jsusGUAE/edit#gid=278523881
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nU2Ten4SWLfPrB92PsuJ2xNEevBDc5Rkqr7jsusGUAE/edit#gid=278523881
Very good point!!! I only mind the trigger behavior because it overheats the guns, but the other aspects are also very important. Especially when fighting real players or flying in a stealth fighter.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Write some tips about it in this thread. I might want to try it. Just write down where it really helps you. I also want to learn to get better ;)
Oh man, I'm not the one to ask about it. Maybe @daethwing188 about voice attack. I know it can be found, but I haven't actually played with it myself.

You do need a mic though. There's no point in voice attack without one.

Ripcord33

Grand Admiral
May 2, 2016
RSI Handle
Ripcord03
Well, for weapons groups, to keep me from taking my hands off the joystick, i had to map out the screen coordinates of the weapons grouping, its rather complex, ill have to get you some screen grabs of the profile settings for that command.

Ripcord33

Grand Admiral
May 2, 2016
RSI Handle
Ripcord03
Its a combination of switching the HUD Screen from overview to weapons, entering HUD Mode, then clicking on the weapons you need to remove/add to a group, hence the need for screen coordinates for voice attack.

Forgot your password?