Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
So as I mentioned in the other thread, my installation of Windows 10 was less than smooth. Unfortunately, my roll back to 7 was even less smooth. I'm currently posting from my phone because my computer is not accepting any keyboard or mouse inputs. I can't log in, I can't reach the BIOS, I can't even choose options from the install menu when booting off the Windows 7 install disk. If anyone has any idea how to fix this, I would be extremely grateful.

Wakapedia

Vice Admiral
Donor
Sep 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Wakapedia
just because. Unplug all your hard drives from the motherboard then see if it lets you into the bios.

UnderSc0re

Space Marshal
Mar 17, 2015
RSI Handle
UnderSc0re
Have you tried turning off then back on?

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark

Annitias

Minister of Propaganda
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Oct 5, 2014
RSI Handle
Annitias
Hm.... Will it post still? If not, do you have a second BIOS mode?

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
Hm.... Will it post still? If not, do you have a second BIOS mode?
It boots cleanly all the way to Windows login screen. It just won't accept any keyboard inputs. I'm not sure about any secondary bios mode.

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
It boots cleanly all the way to Windows login screen. It just won't accept any keyboard inputs. I'm not sure about any secondary bios mode.
You need a non-USB keyboard to complete the login process with. I keep at least one old-school keyboard for this purpose.

Reactions: o-BHG-o

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
You need a non-USB keyboard to complete the login process with. I keep at least one old-school keyboard for this purpose.
... that's really fucked up, setting as I've never needed one previously. I'll have to go dig one up tomorrow before work and give it a try. If it just corrupted all of the usb drivers, that would explain it.

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
... that's really fucked up, setting as I've never needed one previously. I'll have to go dig one up tomorrow before work and give it a try. If it just corrupted all of the usb drivers, that would explain it.
Not really fucked up if drivers get corrupted, it's just bad form on Microsoft's part. :P

It's that particular reason why I always have that keyboard. :D

Ocean

Rear Admiral
Jul 20, 2015
RSI Handle
0cean
PS2 inputs should still work. if your computer has that. if your computer does not, what about your partition boot? or build a USB boot stick on another computer to image write over to patch up your drivers?

Jedi mind tricks work in your world?

Huegpaynis

Space Marshal
May 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Huegpaynis
I just keep a dongle in my office that will run my usb keyboard in PS2 mode. Never had an issue the few times I've needed to use it.

Ocean

Rear Admiral
Jul 20, 2015
RSI Handle
0cean
oh oh. is your keyboard/mouse actually plugged into a BLACK usb port. if your usb 2.0/3.0 drivers are screwed they would not even be working

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
I can try resetting the MB when I get home tonight. If that fails, I can go out and get a PS/2 keyboard or a USB-PS/2 dongle tomorrow. Ocean, I'm honestly not sure what USB ports I've tried, because there are a lot and I didn't systematically go down and test every individual one. That might be something to test first, actually.

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
I dont think anyone said this yet so... Did you try plugging in the keyboard in another port? preferably one from another header. Also did you unplug the power and drain the system before powering again?

Chairman Meow

Grand Admiral
Jan 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Chabby
I can try resetting the MB when I get home tonight. If that fails, I can go out and get a PS/2 keyboard or a USB-PS/2 dongle tomorrow. Ocean, I'm honestly not sure what USB ports I've tried, because there are a lot and I didn't systematically go down and test every individual one. That might be something to test first, actually.
Reset the bios manually? Sometimes this is a jumper setting or straight up button, other times you just gotta pop that battery out of there for a minute. It might sort out your mouse/keyboard issues at least.

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
Ok, update: I found and pushed the CLEAR CMOS button, which reset the bios. I can note get into the bios, and keyboard and mouse now work in bios on both usb 2.0 & 3.0 ports. I still have no luck at the login screen. I'm going to try a ps/2 port tomorrow morning. Thanks all for the suggestions, I'll keep updated.

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
And I finally have resolution. The PS/2 keyboard still couldn't input my password at the login screen, but it could select the option for a clean install after booting from disc. I now have a Windows 10 upgrade from a brand new 7 install, and everything seems to be working beautifully.

Forgot your password?